mouth open

can low humidity cause him to do that?
Because humidity is little low lately.
I can't believe that is respiratory infection because humidity is never to high in the cage, he mostly suffers from low humidity 30-50%

from the info i have read the humidity should be higher, low humidity leads to upper respitory infection, it dries out their lungs, i try to keep mine at a minimum of 50%, and usually 65%. it is not an easy task!! constant misting but watching for inbetween dry outs, i run a room evaporative humidifier plus a cool mist humidifier into the fan of the evaporative one. i have cool mist humidifiers with PVC piping it to the top of all my cages. 1 humidifier takes care of 2 enclosures. i have cages side by side so i hang a clear plastic on open sides except the top and front. in the winter i have 1 warm mist humidifier in the room also.
i notice all my cham's open their mouths when they are basking especially after they drink water, they are regulating temps.

Yes, he started doing that right after he had nice 20 min shower last night.
So what is that??
Ill go shopping for some foggers. and will start running humidifier in the room.
Thanks

cool setup man, i love the webcam. i been watching em off and on all day, i cant belive how active the little fella is! always crusin around! my female jackson just sits there all day, hardly ever moves.. must be fun to watch em explore

Now, I think this is just him.
When hes at basking spot, he's got his mouth open little. at temps above 90C (93-95). If I lower light bulb wattage and get temps down to 85C he is fine.
whats with that.

Hey scooter.. chameleons open their mouths like that to release heat. If he is gaping all the time everywhere in the cage, then he may have a URI, but if he is only doing it while he is under the basking lamp... he is most likely just fine.

He is only in the basking area.
As soon as you turn light off, he closes his mouth.
Thanks. Feels better :)

Anyone else with same "problem"???

Last edited:
I have observed this behavior a couple of times and have tried to do some research.
I agree with heika. He is regulating his temp and it's nothing to worry about.
Especially since you have been paying particular attention to the temp. now and know that it is not too extreme.
I say relax.
He can thermoregulate...I know several people have said young chams are not good at this but I observe Kitty very obviously doing it and as long as they have constant drip and mistings I wouldn't worry.

-Brad

i was told by my vet that my panther was doing the same thing because reptiles have no other way to cool their bodies other than to a) move to a cooler location or b) open their mouth to give off some heat.. so this is definitely a sign that his basking area is too hot.. i am pretty sure the info wouldn't be any different for a veiled.. good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom