Mouth open at times when outside?

iya78

Now that the weather has been in the 80's I thought putting my veiled outside to get some natural uva/uvb. She seems to be loving it, but I noticed at time when I look at her she has her mouth open and keeps it open for a bit. It only happens outside. The temps since she has been outside, today 80, yesterday 76, day before 88. I put her out from about 2:30 until 7:30, but the first day I only had her out for about an hour.
Am I keeping her out too long? Should I just put her out in the morning, so she can enjoy the cooler air as she gets natural light?
Info:
6 month old female veiled cham

The only time my veiled has her mouth open is when she gets defensive. I'd wait to here more comments, but I think shes scared.

Your chameleon need access to water. You need to mist very often or put a dripper on her when she is outside. She needs to be able to get out of the sun and to get to water. Make those two happen and your cham will enjoy going out. Chameleons will go in and out of the sun to regulate their body temps.

me to

my boys both open their mouths outside occasionally, i dont beleave its due to a specific reason just makke sure that drip is going AND mist them often, keep them in a shady area and give them a place to get out of the heat, i live in Texas and its already in the mid 90's days but we spend all day outside under a light sprinkler to keep fresh air at a cooler temp so they r able to toleraate the heat we have here at the moment, although it will get in the 100's here , thats when we stay in though, but i will take mine outside for play time in the grass to give them exercise.
Back to gapping chams, its good to learn animal-speak ; u can notice a difference if he is yawning or offensive, body temp is also very obvious when they wannt to tell you its a bit to HOT, gee, my CoeChi even smirks at me when he's happy about me being around, it's all about being their KEEPER;

Attachments

• tft95a.jpg
    tft95a.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 172
Now that the weather has been in the 80's I thought putting my veiled outside to get some natural uva/uvb. She seems to be loving it, but I noticed at time when I look at her she has her mouth open and keeps it open for a bit. It only happens outside. The temps since she has been outside, today 80, yesterday 76, day before 88. I put her out from about 2:30 until 7:30, but the first day I only had her out for about an hour.
Am I keeping her out too long? Should I just put her out in the morning, so she can enjoy the cooler air as she gets natural light?
Info:
6 month old female veiled cham

I would definetely do mornings instead of afternoons. The afternoon sun is pretty intense. I leave mine out for about 2 hrs. It would be even better if you had a shady tree that the sun shines through. Chams in the wild will usually stay in the foilage (hidden) but where the sun shines through.

Your chameleon is most likely thermoregulating. This is normal, for heat exchange. However, I would run a sprinkler or hose set on the misting setting the entire time. This way your chameleon will have plenty of access to water in the hot sun. Being a veiled they can tolerate a little heat, but play it safe.

Also, make sure you have a digital temp. gauge inside your enclosure. This will give you an accurate reading of what temps really are there. Our weather man said our high yesterday was 86 degrees F. My digital temp gauge said the temp was 94 and it felt like 100F. So I kept the hose running most the day on the misting setting and the temp stayed at 83F.

Back
Top Bottom