Mouth look ok?

JessG

51553079-BAB2-4C86-BB73-9208A16B235C.jpeg
I posted a bit ago, saying my Ambilobe baby wasn’t eating. Showed no interest in food. If he did eat, it would be 1-2 crickets out of 10 available. I posted my husbandry on that thread also.. I started talking to someone who breeds and also has his own. He was saying my little guys mouth was weird? I don’t really see it. And if so, how would that cause him to have a complete lack of interest in food?

I think so but I'm no pro. Im dealing with mouth rot at the moment. He slowed his eating and that was the first red flag.

I think so but I'm no pro. Im dealing with mouth rot at the moment. He slowed his eating and that was the first red flag.
Are you able to show me a picture? I looked in his mouth. And everything looks fine. No black. No white? He hasn’t slowed eating. I have had him for a week. And he’s always been like that. Is that the only sign your little guy was showing?

You would have to google it. I don’t have an inside picture. I can’t speak for anything but my experiences but there is an old head creeping around here somewhere.

Attachments

• 233A65A3-B103-453B-B900-DFBBFB8F172C.jpeg
    233A65A3-B103-453B-B900-DFBBFB8F172C.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 177
  • EA103ACF-9EFF-42D6-A5A9-CEA9D014AE67.jpeg
    EA103ACF-9EFF-42D6-A5A9-CEA9D014AE67.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 205
You would have to google it. I don’t have an inside picture. I can’t speak for anything but my experiences but there is an old head creeping around here somewhere.
Thanks! But I’ve seen nothing like that on his mouth. Or in. I googled mouth infections. His gums are still pink. I’m assuming he hurt his tongue. Not sure. Soonest the vet can see us in June 11 unfortunately.

You have to try and find a more reliable vet. The fact you can't see him/her until June 11 is rubbish.

Post some more clear pictures of his mouth from different sides. His mouth does look a little puckered up towards the chin but I don't know what that could be caused from or if it is a concern.

I also think that maybe you haven't purchased from the best breeder. But who are you to know that. I hope that you have called the breeder to notify him that this chameleon you were given in return for the other poor chameleon is not eating and that you have concerns over it. He should have given you a chameleon that is eating. I have had the unfortunate event of sick, almost dead, chameleons being sent to me for a very high price by someone that everyone believes to be trustworthy and reliable.

Good luck.

Last edited:
View attachment 206430 I posted a bit ago, saying my Ambilobe baby wasn’t eating. Showed no interest in food. If he did eat, it would be 1-2 crickets out of 10 available. I posted my husbandry on that thread also.. I started talking to someone who breeds and also has his own. He was saying my little guys mouth was weird? I don’t really see it. And if so, how would that cause him to have a complete lack of interest in food?
Do you know if he is about to shed? It's just a guess, people have said they act like that and lose their appetite when nearing a shed? Also are you hand feeding or letting the crix free roam?

You have to try and find a more reliable vet. The fact you can't see him/her until June 11 is rubbish.

Post some more clear pictures of his mouth from different sides. His mouth does look a little puckered up towards the chin but I don't know what that could be caused from or if it is a concern.

I also think that maybe you haven't purchased from the best breeder. But who are you to know that. I hope that you have called the breeder to notify him that this chameleon you were given in return for the other poor chameleon is not eating and that you have concerns over it. He should have given you a chameleon that is eating. I have had the unfortunate event of sick, almost dead, chameleons being sent to me for a very high price by someone that everyone believes to be trustworthy and reliable.

Good luck.
I am from a very small town. This is basically the only “exotics” vet there is. I have found someone that breeds chameleons, and has been for over 40 years. He said he would come over and check everything out for me. I did let the breeder know. He’s actually a very big “company”, and well known in Canada. He said he was eating fine before he was shipped (of course).
Some good news, I put 5 crickets and 3 super worms in cups before I went to work, he ate 3 crickets and 2 super worms. Not much but it’s better than the last week I’ve had him.

Do you know if he is about to shed? It's just a guess, people have said they act like that and lose their appetite when nearing a shed? Also are you hand feeding or letting the crix free roam?
I am not sure if he is about to shed. I was thinking that too, I have only had him for a little over a week. I’ve tried every method with feeding. I usually put some in a cup and leave it in his cage, and also throw in a few to run around.

I am not sure if he is about to shed. I was thinking that too, I have only had him for a little over a week. I’ve tried every method with feeding. I usually put some in a cup and leave it in his cage, and also throw in a few to run around.
Yeah that's the first thing that popped in my head, watch him see if he's yawning/stretching often could mean he's nearing a shed, maybe try using tweezers for his food? My guy is 5 m/o and eating just a little bit less, because here soon he will be shedding.

Also what I just thought is possibly because he's stressed, you said you've had him for a week I believe, maybe stressed from the shipping and adapting to new environment, update us in a couple days, sooner or later he will eat :D

Also what I just thought is possibly because he's stressed, you said you've had him for a week I believe, maybe stressed from the shipping and adapting to new environment, update us in a couple days, sooner or later he will eat :D
I didn’t think it would take over a week to get adjusted? I know all chameleons are different, but my veiled. TOok one day not even to eat lol. And she’s savage when it comes to food.

I didn’t think it would take over a week to get adjusted? I know all chameleons are different, but my veiled. TOok one day not even to eat lol. And she’s savage when it comes to food.
Some people have said that it took their cham's a week or two to adapt, I mean I have no experience with a shipped chameleon but I would think it would take longer since they were in a cup or bag, whichever he got shipped in. :D

Some people have said that it took their cham's a week or two to adapt, I mean I have no experience with a shipped chameleon but I would think it would take longer since they were in a cup or bag, whichever he got shipped in. :D
We made a little progress today. 2 super worms and 3 crickets. I am hoping it just goes up from here lol! Not much but it’s something :)

We made a little progress today. 2 super worms and 3 crickets. I am hoping it just goes up from here lol! Not much but it’s something :)
Very good probably means he's getting used to you and his new home :) , what size crickets? Also staying hydrated?

Very good probably means he's getting used to you and his new home :) , what size crickets? Also staying hydrated?
Not sure what size. But they are “small” when I buy them from the store. They are pretty tiny. And yes staying hydrated, all of his urates have been white :)

Not sure what size. But they are “small” when I buy them from the store. They are pretty tiny. And yes staying hydrated, all of his urates have been white :)
Okay good as long as they are the width of his head lol, I thought you were going to say large lol, but good :) Everything else seems fine with him, mouth doesn't look weird either by the way.

Okay good as long as they are the width of his head lol, I thought you were going to say large lol, but good :) Everything else seems fine with him, mouth doesn't look weird either by the way.
I also looked inside his mouth. Gums are pink. Nothing looks off. I thought maybe he hurt his tongue. But he’s been eating while I’m gone. Can’t be that. He does look a little small for being 5 months tho.

Back
Top Bottom