Mouth issue

NotZack

Hello,

I am here before taking the step of going to the vet. Below are attached pictures of my chameleon, who is two years old. I also am nervous of his legs being a little fat, which could be a sign of MBD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, 2 years 5 months.
  • Handling - once or not at all every week or two. Comes out the cage twice a week
  • Feeding - Parsley, crickets,horn worms, super worms. hornworms are treats, 5 crickets every other day day with a super worm or two, a veggie once or twice a week. feeding crickets every day, trying to go for a hornworm every two weeks, fruits and fluckers gutload.
  • Supplements - everyday dusting with calcium no d3, twice a month with multivitamin.
  • Watering - repti mister every hour for 45 seconds
  • Fecal Description - Regular droppings, sometimes a little yellow (working on fixing that).
  • History - Surgery at ~8 months old to remove a tumor, full recovery. Probably due for a vet visit

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a screen cage. 18x18x36 inches (Length, width, hieght) (upgrading soon to a custom 30x20x50 screen cage)
  • Lighting - normal bask light, reptisun 5.0 hood
  • Temperature - 80-85*. 73f* lowest overnight temp. digital temp. thermostat, mesuring top, and bottom.
  • Humidity - usually ~60%
  • Plants - Schefflera main center plant, with vines for horizontal action
  • Placement - corner of the room
  • Location - Virginia, eastern america.

Current Problem - Weird scab on mouth, also possible signs of MBD

Attachments

• IMG_5693.jpeg
    IMG_5693.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 134
looks like normal legs to me. Is there discharge from the mouth, or just a scab?

He is an adult now, so typically you will not get swelling/bowing from MBD. Instead you will just get brittle/broken bones.

Are you noticing any swelling of the joints? That could be a sign of gout.

One thing you are not listing is your D3 supplement. Also is the reptisun 5.0 a T5HO, a T8 standard, or a compact fluorescent (dome).

looks like normal legs to me. Is there discharge from the mouth, or just a scab?

He is an adult now, so typically you will not get swelling/bowing from MBD. Instead you will just get brittle/broken bones.

Are you noticing any swelling of the joints? That could be a sign of gout.

One thing you are not listing is your D3 supplement. Also is the reptisun 5.0 a T5HO, a T8 standard, or a compact fluorescent (dome).

Pardon my messed up info.
I have a hooded uvb 5.0, and I thought reptivite included d3, if not, what do you recommend?

On the joint s, they feel kind of puffy, like fat, but no discharge for the mouth scab.

Pardon my messed up info.
I have a hooded uvb 5.0, and I thought reptivite included d3, if not, what do you recommend?

On the joint s, they feel kind of puffy, like fat, but no discharge for the mouth scab.

There are 2 reptivite, d3 and no d3.
https://zoomed.com/category/terrarium-products/vitaminssupplements/

Is the Hood a T8 or a T5HO? they make 2 zoomed 5.0 hoods, the T5HO is 4-6x more powerful. The 5.0 T8 hood is meant for "tanks" since its UVB is useless past 8-12". The T5HO is meant for 3-4ft tall cages, because it still has usable uvb at the 2ft mark.

Gout wont feel puffy, it will be hard. So that is good.

So i still dont see a problem that requires a vet visit. Legs look normal, no mobility or grip issues. A mouth scab(or any scab) can come from anything. Now if the mouth has drool/discharge, or "cheese" than that can be mouth rot or an upper respiratory infection.

There are 2 reptivite, d3 and no d3.
https://zoomed.com/category/terrarium-products/vitaminssupplements/

Is the Hood a T8 or a T5HO? they make 2 zoomed 5.0 hoods, the T5HO is 4-6x more powerful. The 5.0 T8 hood is meant for "tanks" since its UVB is useless past 8-12". The T5HO is meant for 3-4ft tall cages, because it still has usable uvb at the 2ft mark.

Gout wont feel puffy, it will be hard. So that is good.

So i still dont see a problem that requires a vet visit. Legs look normal, no mobility or grip issues. A mouth scab(or any scab) can come from anything. Now if the mouth has drool/discharge, or "cheese" than that can be mouth rot or an upper respiratory infection.

Sorry for the confusion, I have a T5HO hood. With the reptivite that has D3.

Everything looks pretty normal, my cham had a black dot on his lip before, could be dirt or bug guts, or skin from an old shed

Hello,

I am here before taking the step of going to the vet. Below are attached pictures of my chameleon, who is two years old. I also am nervous of his legs being a little fat, which could be a sign of MBD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, 2 years 5 months.
  • Handling - once or not at all every week or two. Comes out the cage twice a week
  • Feeding - Parsley, crickets,horn worms, super worms. hornworms are treats, 5 crickets every other day day with a super worm or two, a veggie once or twice a week. feeding crickets every day, trying to go for a hornworm every two weeks, fruits and fluckers gutload.
  • Supplements - everyday dusting with calcium no d3, twice a month with multivitamin.
  • Watering - repti mister every hour for 45 seconds
  • Fecal Description - Regular droppings, sometimes a little yellow (working on fixing that).
  • History - Surgery at ~8 months old to remove a tumor, full recovery. Probably due for a vet visit

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a screen cage. 18x18x36 inches (Length, width, hieght) (upgrading soon to a custom 30x20x50 screen cage)
  • Lighting - normal bask light, reptisun 5.0 hood
  • Temperature - 80-85*. 73f* lowest overnight temp. digital temp. thermostat, mesuring top, and bottom.
  • Humidity - usually ~60%
  • Plants - Schefflera main center plant, with vines for horizontal action
  • Placement - corner of the room
  • Location - Virginia, eastern america.

Current Problem - Weird scab on mouth, also possible signs of MBD
He looks pretty good to me (100% Not an expert, I just love chameleons ) , if the scab doesn't go away and you notice any brown spots on the inside of the mouth especially along the gums/teeth then maybe take him to a vet it could be mouth rot but just the scab on the outside alone could be pretty much anything just keep an eye on it. if you're still having doubts taking him to the vet is sometimes the best way to ease your mind about anything that could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom