Mouth infection??

MissMeela

Established Member
Zeus is almost 3 years old. Few months ago I noticed some brown color in his mouth, just noticed yesterday that it's around all his bottom teeth. Looks to me like what the Internet is calling mouth rot or at minimum, a mouth infection.. No exotic vets closer than 1.5hrs away. Any thoughts??
20181016_164337.jpg

Personally I would drive the 1.5 hours for my cham. I drive about an hour to get to my exotic vet, and it's always worth it for the health of my chameleons.

As far as the mouth rot/infection I can't tell you much. Has it gotten worse since you first noticed it? Has it spread? Does it seem to affect your cham?

Zeus is almost 3 years old. Few months ago I noticed some brown color in his mouth, just noticed yesterday that it's around all his bottom teeth. Looks to me like what the Internet is calling mouth rot or at minimum, a mouth infection.. No exotic vets closer than 1.5hrs away. Any thoughts?? View attachment 215890

My Cham: 3yr old male Veiled chameleon
Handling: every other week to a couple times a week. Just to get him out to his hanging plant outside and back in.
Feeding: crickets 1-2x/week, superworms 3x/week, dubia roaches 1x/mo, hornworms 2x/yr. Organic spring mix chopped up 1-2x/week. He only eats the greens to get to the worms.
Fecal description: normal looking poop with a little yellow and white on the end.
Supplements: Reptical w/o d3 everytime with crickets and roaches. Reptical w/d3 1x/week. Herp-Vit 1-2x week.
Watering: Dripper 2-3x/week for an hour. Fogger/cool air humidifier on timer (everyday) for an hour 3x/day and mid afternoon on for 2 hours. I use my Exoterra hand mister every day after work and twice on weekend and at least 3x/wk he drinks from that.
History: He's always been healthy, happy and active.
Cage: Custom wood/screen cage 27"x27"x60".
Lighting: (2)75watt heat lamps, just added the second one the other day, seems to help keep the temp and humidity a little higher throughout the day. T-8 UV light strip. And a regular florescent light hanging vertical on one side to help light up the cage.. all on a 12 hr timer.
Temp: 68°F-80°F ambiant. 90°F basking. I use a digital therm/hygro with prob just above floor and use a digital temp gun for basking areas.
Humidity: 40%-99% fogger on timer running off and on all day, shallow dish of water on floor where dripper drops into. Spray everyday. 4 of the 6 sides are covered with plastic. The floor is wood and the door is screen. Thinking about covering half the door soon to help.
Plants: all fake plants. I have the worst green thumb ever! I've tried a few times, no luck! Yesterday I added a small Neantha-bella palm to his cage.. Thought I could try again with a real plant. Couldn't find much info about that plant against chameleons. Please tell this this plant is safe!!??
Placement: back corner of my living room, Light traffic. Behind front door. I have a heater placed between him and the (back of) the front door. The cage is 5' tall but stands 6' tall with the legs of the cage. His basking/favorite spot to sit is higher than just about everything in my living room, including myself and my hubby.
Problem: I've noticed his teeth/gums turning brown. Doesn't "seem" to bother him, but I know how that doesn't mean much. Eating and drinking normal, still active everyday, shedding normal without problems. But I'm worried about his mouth. Vet is over an hour away. and I'm not a cheap @ss, just have spent $2,300 in the last 6 months on my dogs, and an in the process of building a larger outdoor enclosure for my Sulcatas. Just need some pointers and advice if this is something I can just try changing his diet, am I doing something wrong, or just plain get him in no matter what. Please and thank you in advance!! All advice welcome!!

My Cham: 3yr old male Veiled chameleon
Handling: every other week to a couple times a week. Just to get him out to his hanging plant outside and back in.
Feeding: crickets 1-2x/week, superworms 3x/week, dubia roaches 1x/mo, hornworms 2x/yr. Organic spring mix chopped up 1-2x/week. He only eats the greens to get to the worms.
Fecal description: normal looking poop with a little yellow and white on the end.
Supplements: Reptical w/o d3 everytime with crickets and roaches. Reptical w/d3 1x/week. Herp-Vit 1-2x week.
Watering: Dripper 2-3x/week for an hour. Fogger/cool air humidifier on timer (everyday) for an hour 3x/day and mid afternoon on for 2 hours. I use my Exoterra hand mister every day after work and twice on weekend and at least 3x/wk he drinks from that.
History: He's always been healthy, happy and active.
Cage: Custom wood/screen cage 27"x27"x60".
Lighting: (2)75watt heat lamps, just added the second one the other day, seems to help keep the temp and humidity a little higher throughout the day. T-8 UV light strip. And a regular florescent light hanging vertical on one side to help light up the cage.. all on a 12 hr timer.
Temp: 68°F-80°F ambiant. 90°F basking. I use a digital therm/hygro with prob just above floor and use a digital temp gun for basking areas.
Humidity: 40%-99% fogger on timer running off and on all day, shallow dish of water on floor where dripper drops into. Spray everyday. 4 of the 6 sides are covered with plastic. The floor is wood and the door is screen. Thinking about covering half the door soon to help.
Plants: all fake plants. I have the worst green thumb ever! I've tried a few times, no luck! Yesterday I added a small Neantha-bella palm to his cage.. Thought I could try again with a real plant. Couldn't find much info about that plant against chameleons. Please tell this this plant is safe!!??
Placement: back corner of my living room, Light traffic. Behind front door. I have a heater placed between him and the (back of) the front door. The cage is 5' tall but stands 6' tall with the legs of the cage. His basking/favorite spot to sit is higher than just about everything in my living room, including myself and my hubby.
Problem: I've noticed his teeth/gums turning brown. Doesn't "seem" to bother him, but I know how that doesn't mean much. Eating and drinking normal, still active everyday, shedding normal without problems. But I'm worried about his mouth. Vet is over an hour away. and I'm not a cheap @ss, just have spent $2,300 in the last 6 months on my dogs, and an in the process of building a larger outdoor enclosure for my Sulcatas. Just need some pointers and advice if this is something I can just try changing his diet, am I doing something wrong, or just plain get him in no matter what. Please and thank you in advance!! All advice welcome!!
Superworms should only be given as treats or occasional variety. What do you gutload with? Dubia roaches are a great “staple”. Hornworms can be given more than that, they’re great for hydration! Silkworms, bsfl and flies, snails, and roaches are the healthiest! Mantids, stick insects, butterworms, painted lady butterflies, other roaches, blue bottle flies, etc are also great! He needs to be misted daily for at least 2 times a day, preferably 3, for two minutes each time, preferably 5. Do the dripper daily for a couple of hours if you can. Once you get the money, get an automated mister and a t5HO linear uvb light and fixture. Take the fluorescent light off the side and put it on top of the cage, but you only need it if you have live plants. I believe the humidity levels for a veiled are 40-70%. 99% is too high, irregardless. What do you mean 4 sides are covered by plastic? The back and left and right sides should be the only things covered, unless you’re counting the bottom. Have you read the veiled cars sheet here? I’m not sure if that plant is cham safe- FL Chams has a plant-safe list on their website. Move the cage away from the door and heater. Take the drive to the vet! The mouth rot could spread and kill your cham

Superworms should only be given as treats or occasional variety. What do you gutload with? Dubia roaches are a great “staple”. Hornworms can be given more than that, they’re great for hydration! Silkworms, bsfl and flies, snails, and roaches are the healthiest! Mantids, stick insects, butterworms, painted lady butterflies, other roaches, blue bottle flies, etc are also great! He needs to be misted daily for at least 2 times a day, preferably 3, for two minutes each time, preferably 5. Do the dripper daily for a couple of hours if you can. Once you get the money, get an automated mister and a t5HO linear uvb light and fixture. Take the fluorescent light off the side and put it on top of the cage, but you only need it if you have live plants. I believe the humidity levels for a veiled are 40-70%. 99% is too high, irregardless. What do you mean 4 sides are covered by plastic? The back and left and right sides should be the only things covered, unless you’re counting the bottom. Have you read the veiled cars sheet here? I’m not sure if that plant is cham safe- FL Chams has a plant-safe list on their website. Move the cage away from the door and heater. Take the drive to the vet! The mouth rot could spread and kill your cham
*sigh* here I thought I was doing a good job, seems like maybe it's finally catching up to me :'( ok! I'm going to change his diet up. I thought that the Dubai had too much exoskeleton to digest very well..?? And you're right, its 3 sides plus the bottom, sorry got carried away. And the 99%humidity is just after spraying.. All the lights are on top except for that Florescent bcuz it seemed too dark...? And I'll take the plant out now, what about a pothos? I'm pretty sure that's a safe one!? I can try that instead.. And apparently I need to reread the Care sheet!! **stressing**

Do you know a place to order bugs like that! Ice tried to stay on the west coast with orders to ensure live shipments, but some of those ice never seen available...?? And snails..? Really??

*sigh* here I thought I was doing a good job, seems like maybe it's finally catching up to me :'( ok! I'm going to change his diet up. I thought that the Dubai had too much exoskeleton to digest very well..?? And you're right, its 3 sides plus the bottom, sorry got carried away. And the 99%humidity is just after spraying.. All the lights are on top except for that Florescent bcuz it seemed too dark...? And I'll take the plant out now, what about a pothos? I'm pretty sure that's a safe one!? I can try that instead.. And apparently I need to reread the Care sheet!! **stressing**
Pothos and umbrella plants are both good. For feeders, the site sponsors are great and rainbowmealworms.net lets you create a custom combo pack

Back
Top Bottom