mouth infection

newtothis

I've got a female carpet whose been through a rough time....layed two clutches of eggs since I got here a few months about. Over the last week she's developed a nasty mouth infection. It's hindering her ability to eat and looks really painful.

I've been using q-tips to apply a diluted solution of hydrogenperoxide followed by neosporin. Any other tips. Unfortunately a vet is out of the question.

Thanks so much!

I've got a female carpet whose been through a rough time....layed two clutches of eggs since I got here a few months about. Over the last week she's developed a nasty mouth infection. It's hindering her ability to eat and looks really painful.

I've been using q-tips to apply a diluted solution of hydrogenperoxide followed by neosporin. Any other tips. Unfortunately a vet is out of the question.

Thanks so much!

Sounds like mouth rot to me. If you absolutely CAN'T get her to a vet, try Rot Guard...

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...mins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/-/rot-guard/

I saw someone do this looks like it will help with understanding my chameleons situation. I'll try and post a picture soon too

Cage Info:
Cage Type - reptarium, 65 gallon
Lighting - uva/uvb 12hour day
Temperature - 70-85 during day, 70 at night
Humidity - 70-80%
Plants - Hibiscus
Location - humidifer next to cage, very low traffic area

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - female carpet, unknown age
Feeding - gutloaded crickets
Supplements - multivitamins and calcuim w/ vit. D
Watering - dripper
Fecal Description - kinda runny
Current Problem - swollen mouth, stays open slightly, looks infected

Some more background about my cham....

She was wild caught, after a few days she was very active and eating anything I gave her, very aggressive hunter...she would practically sprint toward crickets. Drinking alot displaying a nice colors (hard to explain but they mader her look as though she was calm...I do understand that is only my interpretation).

She fell a few times (~2 feet) and I beleive that's how she bruised her mouth. Now the small bruise has turned into a swollen lower jaw. She is noticeably weaker and less active since this has began. I know she has been very stressed between shipping, pregnancy, and the usual stuff.

I just had her out to apply peroxide and neosporin so I don't want to disturb her more by taking pictures but I'll post some tomorrow.

She really needs to see a vet. The area will need to be cleaned out properly UNDER ANESTHETIC because it will be very painful.

If you don't take her to a vet, she will most likely die.

If money is the main issue for not getting her to the vet then maybe you should find someone willing to take her on or humanly put her to sleep. I am not saying this to sound mean, but mouth rot is extremely dangerous and needs aggressive treatment. I have never personally heard of anyone curing it on their own. If left untreated she will go downhill fast, she shouldn't have to go through that and neither should you. Like I said this post isn't meant to be mean at all, I really do wish her and you the best of luck, I hope everything works out!!

Unfortunately a vet is out of the question.

I don't understand why a vet would be out of the question.
In my opinion ... if someone is not able (for whatever reason) to take an animal to the vet ... that person should not keep any animals.

-Brad

Gotta agree with ramsey on this one, I just had to put my dog to sleep over the weekend, she had cancer. If you were suffering....wouldnt you seek help? Your pet is your companion no matter what animal it is.

If you don't have the means or the willingness to take your cham to a vet, then you probably don't have what it takes to keep it in the proper setup and care for it properly either. I don't feel this way about all reptiles, but chameleons are a demanding responsibility. They deserve a skilled keeper with the resources and willingness to provide them with whatever they need... including medical care.

I'm no animal rights activist, but I've seen so many chameleons die a slow painful death in the hands of people who didn't have the knowledge and/or resources to care for them properly.

Good luck though and I hope she pulls through.

Try topical antiseptics first, following a rinse iwth betadine, chlorohex, etc.

First thing after that woudl be to get her some proper vitamins. Often, it seems, a lack of vitamin C can make oral infections VERY easy to aquire, and near-impossible to cure. Lack of vitamin C leads to problems in the connective tissues and mucous membranes, scurvy, esentially.

A WC deremensis I had always came down with oral problems, when I started giving him smaller, weekly doses of herptivite (as opposed to monthly), they went away.

That reminds me - check out the deremensis in my Icon - that's him. The jaws were coming down at that point, but they were still slightly swollen.

...Unfortunately a vet is out of the question...
Howdy,

If you want, post what part of the world that you are located and maybe another keeper is nearby that can help. There are chameleon rescue orgs that will take-in chameleons and get them the medical help that they need.

I agree. Mouth Rot is very serious. In some cases, the "bad" tissue simply needs to be removed to allow the good and viable tissue to heal. To me, there really is no question here. A trip to the vet is more then worth it. Especially when it comes to life or death of the cham.

I have a 3.12 carpet colony. I've rescued chams before. I'll take cham in and get the vet care needed, if no one else is closer. Im in Mi.

Back
Top Bottom