Mouth gaping while basking.

Zachariah

Fiona, my 10 month old female veiled sometimes basks with her mouth gaping or open a little. Is this normal? She only does it while in her heated basking site of around 95 degrees, she rests there and doesn't move to a cooler lower pearch until after about 15 minutes or so but it freaks me out:eek: because I don't know if that's normal activity for chameleons :confused:? Is she panting like a dog would do or do I need to lower the temp of the basking site?:confused:

Fiona, my 10 month old female veiled sometimes basks with her mouth gaping or open a little. Is this normal? She only does it while in her heated basking site of around 95 degrees, she rests there and doesn't move to a cooler lower pearch until after about 15 minutes or so but it freaks me out:eek: because I don't know if that's normal activity for chameleons :confused:? Is she panting like a dog would do or do I need to lower the temp of the basking site?:confused:

I replied to your other thread and addressed your basking temps and lamp wattages... I think it is your issue with gaping. Gaping is generally a sign of being too warm.

Yes she is panting like a dog because it is too hot for her.
I normally use a much lower wattage bulb or no heat bulb for my females anyway.

Try something around 85F and see iif she stops and stays in that spot for longer.
If she looks like she is now reaching for more heat, then try something in between.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom