Mouth bruise/rot?

Chameleon rango

Hi, i have a 7-8 month veiled cham and recently i noticed a black part/shed on his mouth at first i thought it was just bug juice and took a warm q tip and gently applied it to see if it would come off at all, and it didn't I'm worried this is something serious like mouth rot but i never heard of it being on the front of the mouth but more towards the side, i couldn't get a good pic of the inside of his mouth, and i didn't want to stress him out more than i did but i noticed a black line following around his gums (on the inside of his mouth), the bruise on his chin is i believe a burn that should hopefully heal soon i moved his uvb and basking lamp so that he couldn't get close to them again, poor guy. Any idea of what the black part of his mouth could be? Mbd? I would usually go to the vet however this isn't really possible right now due to 1. Not being a vet nearby and covid of course but hopefully I'll be able to get him a vet check up soon (his eyes may be sunken because i just woke him up, his urates look nice and white and no he doesn't sleep on a blanket i needed to place him down somewhere where the bruise would be visible) thank you so much for any help i love him so much and with all my heart i hope i can figure out what's going on poor baby :(

Attachments

• 20210126_211933.jpg
    20210126_211933.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210126_211933.jpg
    20210126_211933.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 129
Hi there and welcome. Has he been rubbing on the cage?

Can you take a picture of the enclosure lights down. And a few images of your entire cham please?

Can you take a picture of the enclosure lights down. And a few images of your entire cham please?
Thank you! I'm quite new to this so I'm not sure I'm doing everything right. I'll try to get some pics in the morning since it's late and I'm worried I'll overstress him despite him being pretty ok with handling. As for screen rubbing I'm not sure he's always been pretty scared so whenever i look at him he'll just try to find a less visible spot and pretty much never lets me hand feed him/watch him eat or drink so i try to give him his space although i have noticed him going to the bottom of his enclosure due to there being tons of hiding spots there and it'd be impossible for me to spot him so it may be the case that he went to the bottom of the enclosure and rubbed his face against something, I'll try to discreetly keep an eye on him although you may have a point with the rubbing, it does look like it. Might have to get some more plants for him to hide better winter came and most of the leaves came off and had to find some enclosure safe plants currently growing some more vines for him, he does have quite a few hides though.

Thank you! I'm quite new to this so I'm not sure I'm doing everything right. I'll try to get some pics in the morning since it's late and I'm worried I'll overstress him despite him being pretty ok with handling. As for screen rubbing I'm not sure he's always been pretty scared so whenever i look at him he'll just try to find a less visible spot and pretty much never lets me hand feed him/watch him eat or drink so i try to give him his space although i have noticed him going to the bottom of his enclosure due to there being tons of hiding spots there and it'd be impossible for me to spot him so it may be the case that he went to the bottom of the enclosure and rubbed his face against something, I'll try to discreetly keep an eye on him although you may have a point with the rubbing, it does look like it. Might have to get some more plants for him to hide better winter came and most of the leaves came off and had to find some enclosure safe plants currently growing some more vines for him, he does have quite a few hides though.
When you get a chance just take some pics of the enclosure lights down and of him. It can be of him in the cage. I just want to see general health of the cham.

Then fill this out and we can make sure you got all the right info for husbandry. Copy and paste it. Be as detailed as possible in your responses so we can give you more thorough feedback.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

When you get a chance just take some pics of the enclosure lights down and of him. It can be of him in the cage. I just want to see general health of the cham.

Then fill this out and we can make sure you got all the right info for husbandry. Copy and paste it. Be as detailed as possible in your responses so we can give you more thorough feedback.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/yemen chamelon, male, 7-9 months has been in my care since he was around 2 weeks old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Depends, not frequently in the beginning i sat infront of his enclosure to get him used to me he's alot better with handling although i prefer to leave him alone, usually I'll take him out to put him on his favourite plant (if he does decide to)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm feeding him varied types of crickets, dubia roaches, smaller locusts, as for treats maybe I'll throw in a waxworm and on very rare occasion a mealworm. I currently switched to feeding him every other day and pretty much just looking at his size/weight and narrowing it down from there, i don't have a set schedule, and currently working on that. Gut load is pretty simple usually something like carrots, broccoli leafs, grape leafs, dandelion leafs maybe some apple/grapes i always check safe gutload veggies beforehand (for chams)
  • supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I'm not sure 100% on the brands but reptilcal, zoomed, and something else I'll check in the morning, simple calcium no d3, multivitamin, and calcium with d3 every feeding a light dusting of calcium with no d3 2 times a moth multivatamin and 2 times a month calcium with d3
  • watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Roughly 3-7 times a day i have a spray bottle which i adjust, always have 1 long misting where he can come out clean his eyes etc. That I'll leave for up to 10 minutes, and the rest maybe up to 4 minutes, i used to see him drink but ever since i upgraded his cage he's become more protective and wont let me see him drink/eat hoever i constantly look out for the colouring of his urates and if it's more of a creamy/yellow colouration I'll bump up the mistings
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No he has never been tested for parasites, recently dark brown/brown poop white/creamy urates with a yellow end sometimes
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not that i can think of he's pretty good with handling for a veiled the only time where he puffs up and hisses would be once he's settled for bed or he's extremely scared

Cage Info:

• Not exactly sure of the dimensions I'll try to measure soon, glass with screen on top, planning on upgrading soon
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Usually I'll turn the lights on when i wake up around 8am and turn them off at 8-9pm using a long bulb lighting and a basking lamp in the middle of his cage once again not too sure on the brands
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temp and humidity measure in his cage, have a heat mat along the floor for more heating, currently 23 celsius after turning off his lights,usually it will be around 24/25 celsius and the basking spot will be around 26 celsius or above
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I check the humidity measure, also can feel the humidity by putting my hand in the cage currently on 55 after turning off lights, to maintain humidity i spray his cage, and keep life plants in there
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - yes, no fake ones, grape vines, sweet potato vines that i grow, enclosure safe plants that i bought at a reptile store then checked if they were safe for chams all checked - i do see he sometimes bites into the plants he devoured a small plant i put in there for him and he's never been sick.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No his cage is on the opposite side of my room near my door, i try to take him out when he wants to so i can put him on his favourite plant infront of a large window so he gets some more natural sunlight. His cage is above my bed
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in poland

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Black shed/mouth located on his mouth and bruise
I decided to mist him before bed to maybe help soothe his mouth, weirdly enough he just decided to sit there usually he just moves and hides maybe it was because he has already picked a place to sleep, well where he usually does turning his lights off in 20 mins. Hope these body pics are ok, it's hard he hates taking pics :)

Attachments

• 20210127_194058(0).jpg
    20210127_194058(0).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210127_194131.jpg
    20210127_194131.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210127_194150.jpg
    20210127_194150.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210127_194021.jpg
    20210127_194021.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210127_194119.jpg
    20210127_194119.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/yemen chamelon, male, 7-9 months has been in my care since he was around 2 weeks old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Depends, not frequently in the beginning i sat infront of his enclosure to get him used to me he's alot better with handling although i prefer to leave him alone, usually I'll take him out to put him on his favourite plant (if he does decide to)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm feeding him varied types of crickets, dubia roaches, smaller locusts, as for treats maybe I'll throw in a waxworm and on very rare occasion a mealworm. I currently switched to feeding him every other day and pretty much just looking at his size/weight and narrowing it down from there, i don't have a set schedule, and currently working on that. Gut load is pretty simple usually something like carrots, broccoli leafs, grape leafs, dandelion leafs maybe some apple/grapes i always check safe gutload veggies beforehand (for chams)
  • supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I'm not sure 100% on the brands but reptilcal, zoomed, and something else I'll check in the morning, simple calcium no d3, multivitamin, and calcium with d3 every feeding a light dusting of calcium with no d3 2 times a moth multivatamin and 2 times a month calcium with d3
  • watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Roughly 3-7 times a day i have a spray bottle which i adjust, always have 1 long misting where he can come out clean his eyes etc. That I'll leave for up to 10 minutes, and the rest maybe up to 4 minutes, i used to see him drink but ever since i upgraded his cage he's become more protective and wont let me see him drink/eat hoever i constantly look out for the colouring of his urates and if it's more of a creamy/yellow colouration I'll bump up the mistings
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No he has never been tested for parasites, recently dark brown/brown poop white/creamy urates with a yellow end sometimes
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not that i can think of he's pretty good with handling for a veiled the only time where he puffs up and hisses would be once he's settled for bed or he's extremely scared

Cage Info:

• Not exactly sure of the dimensions I'll try to measure soon, glass with screen on top, planning on upgrading soon
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Usually I'll turn the lights on when i wake up around 8am and turn them off at 8-9pm using a long bulb lighting and a basking lamp in the middle of his cage once again not too sure on the brands
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temp and humidity measure in his cage, have a heat mat along the floor for more heating, currently 23 celsius after turning off his lights,usually it will be around 24/25 celsius and the basking spot will be around 26 celsius or above
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I check the humidity measure, also can feel the humidity by putting my hand in the cage currently on 55 after turning off lights, to maintain humidity i spray his cage, and keep life plants in there
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - yes, no fake ones, grape vines, sweet potato vines that i grow, enclosure safe plants that i bought at a reptile store then checked if they were safe for chams all checked - i do see he sometimes bites into the plants he devoured a small plant i put in there for him and he's never been sick.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No his cage is on the opposite side of my room near my door, i try to take him out when he wants to so i can put him on his favourite plant infront of a large window so he gets some more natural sunlight. His cage is above my bed

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Black shed/mouth located on his mouth
Perfect I will start going through this. But please add pics and include pics of your supplements please. They are not all created the same.

Do you know what strength of UVB light fixture you have (T8 or T5 High Output)? The brand and strength of UVB will be on the bulb itself. Could you add some pics his cage as well, please?

@Chameleon rango Please see my feedback in bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/yemen chamelon, male, 7-9 months has been in my care since he was around 2 weeks old. Post pics of chameleon please
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm feeding him varied types of crickets, dubia roaches, smaller locusts, as for treats maybe I'll throw in a waxworm and on very rare occasion a mealworm. I currently switched to feeding him every other day and pretty much just looking at his size/weight and narrowing it down from there, i don't have a set schedule, and currently working on that. Gut load is pretty simple usually something like carrots, broccoli leafs, grape leafs, dandelion leafs maybe some apple/grapes i always check safe gutload veggies beforehand (for chams) How many feeders are you feeding? See the gutload image below for what you should use and in what amounts.
  • supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I'm not sure 100% on the brands but reptilcal, zoomed, and something else I'll check in the morning, simple calcium no d3, multivitamin, and calcium with d3 every feeding a light dusting of calcium with no d3 2 times a moth multivatamin and 2 times a month calcium with d3. Your rotation is correct. Cal no D3 every feeding then rotate week to week between the multivitamin and the cal With D3. But please post pics of the multivitmin so I can see exactly which one it is. Some have D3 and some do not have vitamin A. So we want to double check to make sure it is correct.
  • watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Roughly 3-7 times a day i have a spray bottle which i adjust, always have 1 long misting where he can come out clean his eyes etc. That I'll leave for up to 10 minutes, and the rest maybe up to 4 minutes, i used to see him drink but ever since i upgraded his cage he's become more protective and wont let me see him drink/eat hoever i constantly look out for the colouring of his urates and if it's more of a creamy/yellow colouration I'll bump up the mistings. You really do not want to mist this often... Do a misting session in the morning and in the evening. You can do a long 5 minute session at these times but misting during the day makes it so that the cage does not dry out. This poses a risk for them developing Respiratory infections. You want to mist morning and evening because the temps in the cage are cooler then. You can add a dripper to provide water mid day. It is very normal for them to not drink in front of you.

Cage Info:

• Not exactly sure of the dimensions I'll try to measure soon, glass with screen on top, planning on upgrading soon. Needs to be in a 2x2x4 minimum. If you stay with glass it has to be the largest exo terra they make.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Usually I'll turn the lights on when i wake up around 8am and turn them off at 8-9pm using a long bulb lighting and a basking lamp in the middle of his cage once again not too sure on the brands... Need to know which UVB your using. Is it a T8 or a T5HO fixture and what is the bulb strength 5.0, 10.0?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temp and humidity measure in his cage, have a heat mat along the floor for more heating, currently 23 celsius after turning off his lights,usually it will be around 24/25 celsius and the basking spot will be around 26 celsius or above. You should not have a heat mat on the bottom. Remove this. Bottom of cage should be cool... They need to move out of the heat when needed. Also heating water in the bottom grows bacteria. Your looking for night time temps of 15-20C. They really need the cool down at night. Basking should be no hotter then 27-28 C.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I check the humidity measure, also can feel the humidity by putting my hand in the cage currently on 55 after turning off lights, to maintain humidity i spray his cage, and keep life plants in there.. Daytime humidity for a Veiled is 30-50%. 50% being on the very max end. At night when temps are lower then 20 C you can have the humidity as high as 100% but the temp has to be low for it.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Black shed/mouth located on his mouth

Start reading through this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is the care sheet for your species. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

It does look like a small injury, does not look infected. Follow @Beman she is very good. Likely with the changes in husbandry this will not be an issue. If it swells AT ALL or grows or does anything but look like it is healing get a vet. You do not want an infection setting in.

@Chameleon rango Please see my feedback in bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/yemen chamelon, male, 7-9 months has been in my care since he was around 2 weeks old. Post pics of chameleon please
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm feeding him varied types of crickets, dubia roaches, smaller locusts, as for treats maybe I'll throw in a waxworm and on very rare occasion a mealworm. I currently switched to feeding him every other day and pretty much just looking at his size/weight and narrowing it down from there, i don't have a set schedule, and currently working on that. Gut load is pretty simple usually something like carrots, broccoli leafs, grape leafs, dandelion leafs maybe some apple/grapes i always check safe gutload veggies beforehand (for chams) How many feeders are you feeding? See the gutload image below for what you should use and in what amounts.
  • supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I'm not sure 100% on the brands but reptilcal, zoomed, and something else I'll check in the morning, simple calcium no d3, multivitamin, and calcium with d3 every feeding a light dusting of calcium with no d3 2 times a moth multivatamin and 2 times a month calcium with d3. Your rotation is correct. Cal no D3 every feeding then rotate week to week between the multivitamin and the cal With D3. But please post pics of the multivitmin so I can see exactly which one it is. Some have D3 and some do not have vitamin A. So we want to double check to make sure it is correct.
  • watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Roughly 3-7 times a day i have a spray bottle which i adjust, always have 1 long misting where he can come out clean his eyes etc. That I'll leave for up to 10 minutes, and the rest maybe up to 4 minutes, i used to see him drink but ever since i upgraded his cage he's become more protective and wont let me see him drink/eat hoever i constantly look out for the colouring of his urates and if it's more of a creamy/yellow colouration I'll bump up the mistings. You really do not want to mist this often... Do a misting session in the morning and in the evening. You can do a long 5 minute session at these times but misting during the day makes it so that the cage does not dry out. This poses a risk for them developing Respiratory infections. You want to mist morning and evening because the temps in the cage are cooler then. You can add a dripper to provide water mid day. It is very normal for them to not drink in front of you.

Cage Info:

• Not exactly sure of the dimensions I'll try to measure soon, glass with screen on top, planning on upgrading soon. Needs to be in a 2x2x4 minimum. If you stay with glass it has to be the largest exo terra they make.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Usually I'll turn the lights on when i wake up around 8am and turn them off at 8-9pm using a long bulb lighting and a basking lamp in the middle of his cage once again not too sure on the brands... Need to know which UVB your using. Is it a T8 or a T5HO fixture and what is the bulb strength 5.0, 10.0?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temp and humidity measure in his cage, have a heat mat along the floor for more heating, currently 23 celsius after turning off his lights,usually it will be around 24/25 celsius and the basking spot will be around 26 celsius or above. You should not have a heat mat on the bottom. Remove this. Bottom of cage should be cool... They need to move out of the heat when needed. Also heating water in the bottom grows bacteria. Your looking for night time temps of 15-20C. They really need the cool down at night. Basking should be no hotter then 27-28 C.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I check the humidity measure, also can feel the humidity by putting my hand in the cage currently on 55 after turning off lights, to maintain humidity i spray his cage, and keep life plants in there.. Daytime humidity for a Veiled is 30-50%. 50% being on the very max end. At night when temps are lower then 20 C you can have the humidity as high as 100% but the temp has to be low for it.

Start reading through this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is the care sheet for your species. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

View attachment 290597View attachment 290598
Ok, i will start making changes tomorrow and reading through everthing properly, the reason for the mistings was because i was reading about mistings on the forum and someone was saying how you should be misting very frequently and for a long time, maybe they were wrong i may have exaggerated a bit though wth the 10 miniutes i don't think my hand can go on for longer than 6 lol not sure I'll have to read more about it he's always been very healthy no signs of mbd etc. So it it is pretty suprising but I'll be making the changes and hopefully he'll be getting better soon, thank you for all the help :)

Last edited:
It does look like a small injury, does not look infected. Follow @Beman she is very good. Likely with the changes in husbandry this will not be an issue. If it swells AT ALL or grows or does anything but look like it is healing get a vet. You do not want an infection setting in.
I hope so, I'll be keeping a close eye on it, is there anything i can do to help the injury heal faster? It doesnt seem like he's in pain and nothing has changed in his eating/drinking thankfully

Ok, i will start making changes tomorrow and reading through everthing properly, the reason for the mistings was because i was reading about mistings on the forum and someone was saying how you should be misting very frequently and for a long time, maybe they were wrong not sure I'll have to read more about it he's always been very healthy no signs of mbd etc. So it it is pretty suprising but I'll be making the changes and hopefully he'll be getting better soon, thank you for all the help :)
As the hobby learns more information changes and expands... So this is where looking at older threads can be an issue or looking at feedback from newbies who have not learned what they need to but give info can be a major problem.

Please post pics when you can

I hope so, I'll be keeping a close eye on it, is there anything i can do to help the injury heal faster? It doesnt seem like he's in pain and nothing has changed in his eating/drinking thankfully
You could ask a vet. I personally would not put anything on that small unless it changes. As long as you monitor closely. He is eating and drinking and acting otherwise normal so that is good.

As the hobby learns more information changes and expands... So this is where looking at older threads can be an issue or looking at feedback from newbies who have not learned what they need to but give info can be a major problem.

Please post pics when you can
Hello, so sorry for not updating unfortunetly i was grounded and couldn't use my computer for a while. The bruise on his lower mouth has healed but the black part on his mouth hasn't and i can't really go to a vet anytime soon becuase of corona i did make changes and read through the chameleon guides though and adjusted my care for him. I've been also having problems with his sperm plugs and unfortunetly i can't find any information on them basically lately his past sperm plugs have been creamy, clear and red and today even worse about a drop of blood appeared after the plug came out, i left him alone now but I'm so worried somethings wrong so i wanted to ask if i should just leave him alone, or if i should do anything? Thank you so much for all the help I'll try to get some photos
Ok so good news.. i think..? it completely came off with todays shed except now he doesn't have any pigment on it? Does it just have to heal longer for his skin to completely heal back? Do you think it was just a bruise? Hope these pics are ok

Attachments

• 20210306_152534.jpg
    20210306_152534.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210306_152716.jpg
    20210306_152716.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210306_152542.jpg
    20210306_152542.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210306_152541.jpg
    20210306_152541.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210306_153455.jpg
    20210306_153455.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hello, so sorry for not updating unfortunetly i was grounded and couldn't use my computer for a while. The bruise on his lower mouth has healed but the black part on his mouth hasn't and i can't really go to a vet anytime soon becuase of corona i did make changes and read through the chameleon guides though and adjusted my care for him. I've been also having problems with his sperm plugs and unfortunetly i can't find any information on them basically lately his past sperm plugs have been creamy, clear and red and today even worse about a drop of blood appeared after the plug came out, i left him alone now but I'm so worried somethings wrong so i wanted to ask if i should just leave him alone, or if i should do anything? Thank you so much for all the help I'll try to get some photos
Ok so good news.. i think..? it completely came off with todays shed except now he doesn't have any pigment on it? Does it just have to heal longer for his skin to completely heal back? Do you think it was just a bruise? Hope these pics are ok
Looking at the way that shed came off with the black spot he may have had a minor thermal burn there rather then a bruise. Where exactly is the black part that your saying is on his mouth? Is it in his mouth?

The blood is a concern.... This can happen with Males that do not have the right hydration... So lets go over this again...

Humidity levels day and night?
How are your providing water?
How have his urates looked?

Daytime basking temp?
Night time temps?

Looking at the way that shed came off with the black spot he may have had a minor thermal burn there rather then a bruise. Where exactly is the black part that your saying is on his mouth? Is it in his mouth?

The blood is a concern.... This can happen with Males that do not have the right hydration... So lets go over this again...

Humidity levels day and night?
How are your providing water?
How have his urates looked?

Daytime basking temp?
Night time temps?
No, not on the inside of the mouth the outside could be a burn i noticed he was pretty close to his basking light which is in his enclosure and moved it to the outside around a month ago so hopefully if it was a burn it shouldn't happen again.

1. Humidity, I checked right now and it is on 51% (6pm) it goes up at night after i mist the enclosure, i always try to keep it on 40% to 60% so usually it's around 40-50%. Mid day i don't mist the enclosure so it's around 40% (last time i checked)

2. Still spraying with a spray bottle, i have been reducing his water like you said so i don't cause respitory infections (specifically mid day) so i installed a dripper for water mid day with a plastic bottle and a couple holes on the bottom (i leave it on for around 2-4 miniutes), i mist his enclosure around 2-3 times a day once in the morning and at bedtime, around 2 miniutes and 1 time a longer misting
3. His urates from what I've seen have always looked good, it's possible that i miss some of them because they land on a plant or something but last time i saw his urate it was an off white kind of creamy colour with a bit of a yellowish orange bit on the end but i read that's normal.
4. His basking temps are 70°-80° although i had to take out his basking lamp because it stopped working this monday I'm going to a reptile stpre to get a new one and feeders for him, i don't think it could be that since it's only been a little while and his red sperm plug has occured before it broke
5. His night time temps are around 60 degrees

If this continous, should i try to find some kind of vet for him asap? I hope he'll be ok and I'll try to adjust his temps/humidity immediately if somethings off

No, not on the inside of the mouth the outside could be a burn i noticed he was pretty close to his basking light which is in his enclosure and moved it to the outside around a month ago so hopefully if it was a burn it shouldn't happen again.

1. Humidity, I checked right now and it is on 51% (6pm) it goes up at night after i mist the enclosure, i always try to keep it on 40% to 60% so usually it's around 40-50%. Mid day i don't mist the enclosure so it's around 40% (last time i checked)

2. Still spraying with a spray bottle, i have been reducing his water like you said so i don't cause respitory infections (specifically mid day) so i installed a dripper for water mid day with a plastic bottle and a couple holes on the bottom (i leave it on for around 2-4 miniutes), i mist his enclosure around 2-3 times a day once in the morning and at bedtime, around 2 miniutes and 1 time a longer misting
3. His urates from what I've seen have always looked good, it's possible that i miss some of them because they land on a plant or something but last time i saw his urate it was an off white kind of creamy colour with a bit of a yellowish orange bit on the end but i read that's normal.
4. His basking temps are 70°-80° although i had to take out his basking lamp because it stopped working this monday I'm going to a reptile stpre to get a new one and feeders for him, i don't think it could be that since it's only been a little while and his red sperm plug has occured before it broke
5. His night time temps are around 60 degrees

If this continous, should i try to find some kind of vet for him asap? I hope he'll be ok and I'll try to adjust his temps/humidity immediately if somethings off
I would go ahead and find a herp vet now and get an appointment scheduled. Blood from a cham is an immediate indicator that they need to be seen. There could be an issue with him expelling his sperm plugs.

So daytime humidity only needs to be 30-40%. Try to keep it below 50% and make sure your using a digital gauge to get accurate readings. At night when it is cool is when you want it high. Adding a fogger at night only when it is cold will give him the humidity levels to help with any issues of hydration.

Basking needs to be 80 so he can digest without issue. 70 is a bit low. You can use a regular incandecent household white bulb. 60 watt would be good.

And based on how the black came off I am leaning towards a thermal burn rather then a burn. It looks good now but watch it to make sure you do not see any sign of infection on the outside or inside of the mouth.

I would go ahead and find a herp vet now and get an appointment scheduled. Blood from a cham is an immediate indicator that they need to be seen. There could be an issue with him expelling his sperm plugs.

So daytime humidity only needs to be 30-40%. Try to keep it below 50% and make sure your using a digital gauge to get accurate readings. At night when it is cool is when you want it high. Adding a fogger at night only when it is cold will give him the humidity levels to help with any issues of hydration.

Basking needs to be 80 so he can digest without issue. 70 is a bit low. You can use a regular incandecent household white bulb. 60 watt would be good.

And based on how the black came off I am leaning towards a thermal burn rather then a burn. It looks good now but watch it to make sure you do not see any sign of infection on the outside or inside of the mouth.
Ok, i will keep and eye on it and schedule an appointment like i said i don't know how soon I'll be able to go but I'll try to find a herp vet nearby. Seems like he's still doing well right now and just picked a spot to settle for bed time ☺ thank you so much for the help! And sorry if I'm being a bother I'm very new to this since he is my first chameleon but i love him so much and I'll read through more posts to get everything exactly right, hopefully everything will be ok.

Ok, i will keep and eye on it and schedule an appointment like i said i don't know how soon I'll be able to go but I'll try to find a herp vet nearby. Seems like he's still doing well right now and just picked a spot to settle for bed time ☺ thank you so much for the help! And sorry if I'm being a bother I'm very new to this since he is my first chameleon but i love him so much and I'll read through more posts to get everything exactly right, hopefully everything will be ok.
Don't ever be sorry for asking questions... This is how you will learn. I really love this site for full husbandry info and detail https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom