Mounting a basking perch

Billy Quan

What a some possible options for mounting a basking perch inside of a aluminum mesh enclosure? I just ordered such an enclosure, which should arrive soon. Without having it sitting in front of me, i am having difficulty imagining a good way to mount a perch. I want to run it from side to side, about six inches from the top. . . i would like to know what solutions you have come up with for secure fastening of perches and other items within screen enclosures. . .

-Thanks!

PerchLg.jpg

Jay (Malicious) uses fishing line to secure his plant pots, etc.

It is very useful if you use it correctly.

The tacks and dowels works great as Elisa has displayed (I use it too!:) )

As Syn mentioned, I suspend my small potted plants such as Pothos, and small Umbrellas using monofiliment line.

-Jay

The tacks and dowels works great as Elisa has displayed (I use it too!:) )

As Syn mentioned, I suspend my small potted plants such as Pothos, and small Umbrellas using monofiliment line.

-Jay

I used a clothes hanger cut to size and bent on both ends. One to go over the top edge and the other shoved in a small hole in the pothos pot.

I like the fishing line idea and might try it. My only concern is long term. Doesn't it rot over time?

I use real branches cut from my shrubs. I have a perch factory going here. lol I find dowels and bamboo to be too slippery for the chameleons to grasp securely. More texture, the better.

Pure,

Fishing line is nylon and doesn't degrade over time, its a huge problem at the lakes and ocean when fisherman don't retrieve cut lines. cause it takes YEARS upon YEARS to even become brittle.

if the sun is on it for prolonged times eventually it does become brittle and snap.

ideally you'd use a 10-15lbs test which means it can support upto 15lbs of weight tension on the line before it snaps.

run a dowel or 1"x1" stick across the top, secure the line, drop it through the mesh, and tie it to the plant you would like to suspend.

I use real branches cut from my shrubs. I have a perch factory going here. lol I find dowels and bamboo to be too slippery for the chameleons to grasp securely. More texture, the better.

I was thinking of using a 1/2 inch dowel and wrapping it in some sandblasted grape vines to make it more user friendly.

The tack thing is a great idea!!:D

Fishing line had crossed my mind, glad to hear that it is indeed of use. As far as i know it will not rot, as long as u use the thick stuff. . . display wire, (i think thats what it's called) which is a clear mono-filament cord used in store front display windows to secure and suspend objects, may possibly have an even better UV resistance.

you can also use a fishing line called gorilla wire, its extremely thin, but if it was to get caught/tangled it can cut into skin.

its almost metal/combo mix. but it supports upto like 40lbs and is only as thick as 10lbs test.

All this advice is good ...

.. and for other readers here, try to be sure that your perch is a natural wood, not plastic or a "bio-vine", as such artificial products do not wick away moisture as real wood or bark does, and can cause fungal issues on the chamleon's feet. If using bamboo, be sure it is untreated and unpainted. I also recommend that you create 2 or more perch tiers, allowing the animal more options to thermoregulate. I know that many put great emphasis on aesthetics, that being how much joy it brings them to look at their creations, but don't forget the animal's basic needs while you endeavor to warm your heart.

:D Enjoy your artistry, but think chameleon in crafting it.

Back
Top Bottom