Moulting Questions

sweetmisery

My first and only chameleon is moulting(for the first time), any advice? Should I water him more? More sunlight?

And is it like other lizards(bearded, frilled) where it loses its appetite pre/during moult? Cuz I was a bit concerned the past few days that it didnt eat.

Its 3 inches, 3 months old male veiled.

THANKS!

To assist your cham in shedding off his skin, you could increase the frequency of misting sessions you're giving him. The moisture seems to help soften and loosen the skin.
But make sure you also give ample drying time between misting sessions, because the drying helps the skin eventually flake off his body.

At three months, he should shed pretty easily - the whole thing should be over in about a day or two. When they get older they sometimes only shed partially, or in stages. But you can be sure that he will be shedding pretty regularly from now on - they're growing fast at that age.

Also, it's fairly normal for them to eat less during shedding.

If you do a search on these forums for 'shedding', you'll find a lot of other keepers' stories and advice about shedding.
Which brings me to a question: I believe that the term 'moulting' which you used is scientifically the correct description for the process, but everyone in the hobby calls it 'shedding'.
Are there any scientists out there (Chris A.?) who can let me know what the scientifically correct term actually is, or if it doesn't really matter?

Oh ok... lol. Sorry about that. Im used to moulting cuz of my tarantulas and scorpions. lol. No wonder I cant find moult/moulting.

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom