Mosquitoes

Uri

Avid Member
Hey guys so recently I’ve been discovering many mosquitoes and gnats in my enclosure and well they haven’t caused a problem for my chameleon he doesn’t notice them or eat them and they don’t seem to be bothering him but it’s annoying because every time I open the enclosure they try to come out and I think we all know how much of pests they are how do I get rid of them?

You can find phorid flies where there are decaying plants/plant parts.
Do they walk with a jerky motion?

You can find phorid flies where there are decaying plants/plant parts.
Do they walk with a jerky motion?
Even in that case it's usually fungus gnats. I've never personally seen someone with phorid flies in a cham enclosure(not to say it's not possible). Dealt with them in roach bins, always going for roaches that die.

Soil gnats tend to take off when disturbed, phorid have hunchbacks and run around a lot.

Last edited:
Hey guys so recently I’ve been discovering many mosquitoes and gnats in my enclosure and well they haven’t caused a problem for my chameleon he doesn’t notice them or eat them and they don’t seem to be bothering him but it’s annoying because every time I open the enclosure they try to come out and I think we all know how much of pests they are how do I get rid of them?
I’ve tried three different methods…sundew plants, Katchy and praying mantis babies hatched from an ooth.
I have two different types of sundews - drosera spatulata and drosera capensis. The capensis seemed to be more effective but barely put a dent in the gnat population.
The Katchy was quite effective and caught a significant number, but even when I ran two of them, there were still some gnats.
As I was having some other plant pest issues, I bought a couple of mantis ooths off eBay. It seemed like it took forever for them to hatch, but once they did I set the baby mantids loose in my chameleon enclosures. Haven’t seen a gnat since. The mantids disappeared quickly as my chams found them.

I’ve tried three different methods…sundew plants, Katchy and praying mantis babies hatched from an ooth.
I have two different types of sundews - drosera spatulata and drosera capensis. The capensis seemed to be more effective but barely put a dent in the gnat population.
The Katchy was quite effective and caught a significant number, but even when I ran two of them, there were still some gnats.
As I was having some other plant pest issues, I bought a couple of mantis ooths off eBay. It seemed like it took forever for them to hatch, but once they did I set the baby mantids loose in my chameleon enclosures. Haven’t seen a gnat since. The mantids disappeared quickly as my chams found them.
I love this idea I’ve thought about it but I wasn’t sure if the mantids would be too big to see the gnats and if it would try to eat my chams food or bother or try to attack him

I'll take you word for it for the drosera(I know a few others struggled keeping the sundews too), but I just don't get it. Drosera capensis out beat any gnat catching method by a mile for me. And not to make it a competition, but the swarm I had in my cham room I would bet was worse than anyone's here. Let's just say, you couldn't breath without them going in your mouth! Literally a week and my plants crushed them. I couldn't even go in the room without a mask until they were gone, it was so bad I had it sealed off lmao.

Spring is here and eggs Are layed in top soil. Remove top soil cover with plaxtic wrap for about a week then vacuum up the flying ones so they dont lat new eggs. You can also cover soil with screen and chiffon. Plastic wrap tends to sufficate them. Vacuum everyday to get it under control. Since chams dont hear it didnt borher mine too bad

Back
Top Bottom