Morel Mushroom yummmmmm

ataraxia

Avid Member
Ahh, ticks, mosquitoes, warm weather and shrooms! Its that time of year.

For those that have been denied this heavenly mushroom...I feel sorry for your tongue.

attachment.php

Attachments

• morels.jpg
    morels.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 192
Mmmmmmmm Yes!.... I am down to my last 2lbs of venison now:( I know what I'm doing this weekend now though!

And for the record, if there is one bug I fear... Its TICKS! EFFIN GROSS!

Last edited:
Haha, go getcha some bud :)

Screw the ticks...watch out for that poison ivy! Its already getting a start on the year.

Just for you ;)

I missed this one. I was just sitting here and felt him crawling up my back :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• tick.jpg
    tick.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 179
WE are nearing the end of the season :( Took some pics for you snizzy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 151
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 124
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 122
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 145
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 124
Outstanding!

Great pics of the area.

Being back in north TX sucks, way too dry for any good finds here,:mad: other than in cow pastures :cool:

Glad youre enjoying them my friend...

Have you thought of digging up some mycelium and propagating them year round? You could at least have them coming up in your yard so you dont have to hunt them :)

outstanding!

Great pics of the area.

Being back in north tx sucks, way too dry for any good finds here,:mad: Other than in cow pastures :cool:

Glad youre enjoying them my friend...

Have you thought of digging up some mycelium and propagating them year round? You could at least have them coming up in your yard so you dont have to hunt them :)

Teach me master!

Haha, Im far from the master :p

If you think you have a suitable place in your yard, you could simply remove the section of earth you find them in, and place it there. Understand though, that the mycelium could be covering a huge area around the actual fruiting bodies that you find, and only in that one small area does nature balance perfectly for the fruit to grow. Lighting, temperature, humidity ect. all have to be perfect, and each species is different. If youve been hunting them awhile though, you may have a good idea of what sort of conditions you will need to provide.

You could also just retrieve a sample of the buried mycelium, and add it to a a medium youve prepared, or purchased, and pick a seemingly suitable place in the yard to keep it.

Or...

The most sure fire way to do it, would be to prepare a sterilized medium in jars, add the mycelium in, let it grow, dump out the jar, and let it fruit in a sterilized area indoors.

There are alot of issues with trying to propagate fungi though. Like I said, the conditions have to be just right, but youd be surprised how many people have success with just moving the patch of earth into there yard, giving it minor attention, and having them come up right there next season. The sterile indoor method is much faster, and would likely get better results, but if things arent completely sterile, it all goes to pot quite quickly. So its just a bit of a pain.

The general rule is to leave the mycelium as youve found it, that way it continues to thrive, and more fruit comes out next year. Taking a small sample should not hurt though, if you are seriously intent on growing them up. You really dont even need mycelium, any chunk of the fruit should do, just might take longer.

These people seem to know something about the specific fruit youre interested in: http://thegreatmorel.com/growingtips.html

You can google around for more info on mediums and setups ect.
There are people that grow greenhouses full of rare fungi, and sell them off to restaurants around the world for a mint. ;)

You can buy a spore sample of just about any species you like online. :)

A very interesting hobby to get into all around, but very demanding...

MMMM. Morels are amazing. I havnt had any in a few years though. I need to go out and hunt them like I used to. Used to be one of those things I looked forward to every year. Unfortunatly, life gets in the way and I havnt had a chance to go look for them in a while.

Back
Top Bottom