More chameleon love?

lisa h

After reading the story about the ousties and the pygmies, I thought I would share my own story.

I had two wc sternfeldi females that I kept together in a large enclosure. From the day I got them they would sleep together, eat at the same time, and bask together. A few months ago one got "uncomfortably" gravid and started keeping her distance from the other. Eventually she had her babies, but they never spent close time together after that. Fast forward to a few months later, and the other one dies (not the mom). I expect it was due to old age, as she just seemed to slow down. Now mom doesn't do much of anything. She mostly basks in her brown/black colours, and only colours up if I spray her or when she's in her sleepy colours. She will only eat if I feed her, will only drink if I spray her. She ventures to the cup or where the dripper water goes, but more to wait for me than do anything for herself. Does she miss her friend? Well, I don't know, but I do know that she's gone "down hill" since her "sister" passed, and it makes me sad to watch.

I know of mammals dying of grief (willing themselves to die after losing a "buddy"), so is it out of the realm of possibility that cold blooded creatures can do it too?

I really believe so

I heard a story of two katydids owned by a person
one was a male and the other was a female
they mated and were always next to each other
eventually the male died
the female apparently felt sad and lonely
and started going down hill fast
she laid her eggs and dragged her self
next to the corpse of her mate and died

that story really made me think
that even insects could feel emotions
that mammals often do

Why not? that's what I say. All creatures be it ants to anteaters have a need for some form of relationship with their own. Whether it is for hunting, colonizing, etc and of course mating. Granted in the wild this may not happen with chams but on rare occassions, but being in captivity changes alot of dynamics. IMO

Back
Top Bottom