Monty just threw up

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
It's past lights out for Monty, and we heard a noise and I went to see what he was doing to find him showing weird colours with his mouth gaping. On a leaf underneath him were the cricket and roach that he ate late this morning, undigested. Should I be concerned? Can they just throw up randomly and be ok?

Once is ok. Twice you have a problem. Make sure they are hydrated.

I remember giving mine some phoenix worms and all three animals threw them up in a few hours. All were eating fine the next day.

Once is ok. Twice you have a problem. Make sure they are hydrated.

I remember giving mine some phoenix worms and all three animals threw them up in a few hours. All were eating fine the next day.

I had the same problem when I gave Phoenix worms to my frogs. They both threw them up. Weird.

Update

I came home from work on Friday to find Monty with his eyes closed. I took him outside in the sun for a while to try and perk him up. His eyes were really bulging as well. He slept for over an hour in my hand so I decided to take him to the vets on Saturday morning where we saw a different vet to our normal reptile vet. He was checked over but nothing obvious was found and he was given an injection of Baytril with some oral to carry on with at home.

Over the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend he has stayed the same, although he was a bit more active today. I took him back to see our usual vet today and he had a good look and palpated his stomach. He found a hard 'lump' in Monty's stomach that he wants to investigate so he is having xrays taken in the morning. The vet thought it may be an impaction, but I am really not sure as Monty doesn't eat large enough amounts of anything that could become impacted. There is no substrate in his cage and Monty doesn't eat anything that doesn't move.

So, I am now playing the waiting game again. Will update tomorrow when I have more news.

I came home from work on Friday to find Monty with his eyes closed. I took him outside in the sun for a while to try and perk him up. His eyes were really bulging as well. He slept for over an hour in my hand so I decided to take him to the vets on Saturday morning where we saw a different vet to our normal reptile vet. He was checked over but nothing obvious was found and he was given an injection of Baytril with some oral to carry on with at home.

Over the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend he has stayed the same, although he was a bit more active today. I took him back to see our usual vet today and he had a good look and palpated his stomach. He found a hard 'lump' in Monty's stomach that he wants to investigate so he is having xrays taken in the morning. The vet thought it may be an impaction, but I am really not sure as Monty doesn't eat large enough amounts of anything that could become impacted. There is no substrate in his cage and Monty doesn't eat anything that doesn't move.

So, I am now playing the waiting game again. Will update tomorrow when I have more news.

Possibly a clump of undigested exoskeletons or leg spines, something that he can't pass. Hopefully not!

I'm sorry that monty isn't feeling well. I hope it's nothing serious. He reminds me so much of my Jackson rex. I'll be thinking of you both.

will say a prayer for him, and keep my fingers crossed it is nothing to bad, keep us posted , I just love your little guy

Update after xrays

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

Monty had xrays this morning - he was very good and sat still so he didn't need any gas to knock him out. What the vet found was actually several small hard lumps blocking his intestines along with a build up of gas behind the blockages. He administered liquid paraffin both orally and into his vent to try and move things along. Monty has since produced 3 small lumps of poop after returning home.

Obviously, I am concerned now that it is my fault that he has become constipated. However, he drinks well and doesn't eat anything that is not alive. There is no substrate in his cage so the only thing I can think of is super worms that he has had recently. I find it odd though because he doesn't eat them in large numbers and I only gave him one or two a week!

We have to carry on with the Baytril and return for a check up on Friday afternoon.

Tiff,my thoughts are with you and Monty, I didn't know he was unwell, these adorable little creatures are such a worry :( I will keep everything crossed. xx

Thanks Vicky. There is something even more enchanting about Jacksons. I just wnat my happy boy back :( He's not himself bless him.

my fingers are crossed for Monty! I have seen pictures of the handsome man himself on RFUK, he's a stunner

(P.S. Ive also got a Jackson called monty, great minds think alike)

I hope Monty feels better! I know they can really cause us to worry. Hopefully it is just a little bump in the road for him and he will be back to normal soon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom