Montane pygmy chameleon temp cage?

moco12

So this is my first post on the forum. Yay!! Well to start off, I've rescued veiled chameleons in the past from terrible conditions. Husbandry of chameleons aren't "new" to me. However, I've never had pygmy chameleons and had a few questions about their enclosure.

I have a crested gecko and just recently he's outgrown his exo terra 12x12x18 vivarium. I'm planning on moving him into an 18x18x24 in the next month... So I thought, hmm why not put a pygmy chameleon in his previous tank. After much research I fell more and more in love with them, especially the r. acuminatus. My crested geckos current tank has a custom background (silicone, greatstuff, ghostwood, peat moss/coco fiber) and a complete vivarium with live plants (ferns, pothos, begonia and a few tillandsia) and micro fauna (springtails and isopods). I'm thinking of rebuilding the tank to fit the pygmy's needs (thinner branches and twigs, more foliage and clean out the soil and replace it), the only thing ill probably keep is a few plants and the custom background. As mentioned the process will take up to a month as I'm in the midst of finals and ordering supplies.

Well, a local reptile store has an inventory of a few wc r. acuminatus. I was wondering if I were to get a pair can they be housed temporarily in a XL critter keeper. It's a little over 8 gallons and will have soil, plants, and lots of twigs/vines. Or would they need to be separated into two containers.

Plus any additional information will be really helpful. Thanks in advanced!

They will like in a critter keeper fine. The 12x12x18 may be a bit same for a pair the acuminatus are one of the bigger piygmies. Also remeber the acuminatus need cooler temps 68 to 72.

Haha I actually ended up getting 1.2 acuminatus. The two females are housed currently in the XL critter keeper and the male in a L critter keeper. After talking to the owner of the store, I decided not to put additional stress on the single female. So, ended up walking away with 3. I'm gonna sell the 12x12x18 and just get two 18x18x24 tanks (one for the crested gecko and the other for the pygmys)

I have a portable air conditioner in the room and the current temp is at 70.

Eek. Super excited!! I'll be posting pics pretty soon. Thanks again for the additional info.

Oh, forgot to mention. I got them from reptile outpost located in Van Nuys, CA. I know they do shipping. But the chameleons were 60 each. I took the last male, but there's still 2 more females available in case anyone wanted to jump on it. Pretty awesome price compared to 200 that I've seen others being priced at. Of course take into consideration that they are wc, so age is n/a. They also have the bearded pygmy for 40 males and females.

Back
Top Bottom