MOM GAVE ME PERMISSION!

Chameleon Crazy Chick

Established Member
Hey guys! Mom finally caved when I went on an extensive rant about feeder insects, and told me that I could keep the insects in the garage... would that work out? I was considering getting the dubia roaches, and was wondering if they would be able to survive in a garage..... it gets around 1-2 degrees warmer in the garage than outside, and right now it's getting to about 40....

Also, if I need to I can get a smaller tub and keep that in my room, where I can gutload them more effectively before feeding..... I think i will do that. Questions, Comments, Concerns?
I know I will need:

• A 40 quart Rubbermaid Tub
  • Lots of Egg Cartons
  • Gutload
  • Water crystals ( can you make these at home, or do you have to buy them?)
  • a 6x6 inch hole in the top of the container
  • a heat source (any recommendations?)
If I am missing anything, please tell me! I'm excited, and hope my buddy likes these things...

Oh thank goodness, that really calms my fears. Thank god(y)

Where do you get the heaters, and how much do they cost? Any recommendations and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Hey guys! Mom finally caved when I went on an extensive rant about feeder insects, and told me that I could keep the insects in the garage... would that work out? I was considering getting the dubia roaches, and was wondering if they would be able to survive in a garage..... it gets around 1-2 degrees warmer in the garage than outside, and right now it's getting to about 40....

Also, if I need to I can get a smaller tub and keep that in my room, where I can gutload them more effectively before feeding..... I think i will do that. Questions, Comments, Concerns?
I know I will need:

• A 40 quart Rubbermaid Tub
  • Lots of Egg Cartons
  • Gutload
  • Water crystals ( can you make these at home, or do you have to buy them?)
  • a 6x6 inch hole in the top of the container
  • a heat source (any recommendations?)
If I am missing anything, please tell me! I'm excited, and hope my buddy likes these things...

I know you're excited, but make sure your cham likes dubias before spending money and effort on starting a colony.

Oh thank goodness, that really calms my fears. Thank god(y)

Where do you get the heaters, and how much do they cost? Any recommendations and ideas are greatly appreciated!
You can get a heat pad at walmart. I have one that has 6 different heat settings so you could turn in up or down with the seasons. You can get a heat emitter from and pet store. They screw into a light fixture just like the heat lamps for your cham.

All you need for a heat source is a heating pad like you would use for a sprain. They are about 15 bucks at Walmart. Only put it under half or 3/4 of your container that has the egg cartons so they can get away if it gets too hot. Put the food and water source on the other side. As acarrera said be sure they like them first.

Ya. That sounds good.

Here's the List: (new and improved)

• 40 quart Rubbermaid container
  • Egg Cartons
  • Gutload (apples, oranges, etc. )
  • Water Crystals (Can you make these? are they just ice?)
  • heat pad/ heater, only under 3/4th of tub
  • good ventilation
  • an experiment group
  • no phobia of bugs

Water crystals are a water absorbing gel that is used to hold water in potted plants. They hold the water so the bugs don't drown in a bowl.
For ventilation for dubia you can just drill a grid of very small 1/16 inch holes in the lid of your container.

I don't think the water crystals are necessary. I never used them, I just gave my roaches fresh vegetables and some fruits.

That's great news, really great, I got 20 or so dubias and they were they best purchase, I have had free food continually since I got them.
Well done.:)

Ya. That sounds good.

• Egg Cartons
  • good ventilation
  • an experiment group
  • no phobia of bugs
I also lined the top of my 66 quart Rubbermaid tub with Vaseline just in case a roach got too close to the edge. Keep in mind thou that you might have to clean the bing more (twice a year at least) because with the heat, the Vaseline might drip down a bit, just use a little. And ventilation I just cut a a square about 5 inches wide and 8 long on the lid and hot glued screen mesh on both sides. Make sure u don't leave the strings of hot glue as they might use it crawl to the top

With dubias I have never had issues with escape from rubbermaid bins as long as the lid was on. I use locking ones too. My preferred heat sources are similar to the heat tape except they are an entire mat and you can tape them on and remove/reuse. I do recommend a double attachment technique with the insect screening on the top, always use hot glue and duck tape. I never ever use water crystals, especially due to possible dangers if not absorbed correctly or is on a feeder when fed to a cham. I also don't generally need water crystals ever.

With dubias I have never had issues with escape from rubbermaid bins as long as the lid was on. I use locking ones too. My preferred heat sources are similar to the heat tape except they are an entire mat and you can tape them on and remove/reuse. I do recommend a double attachment technique with the insect screening on the top, always use hot glue and duck tape. I never ever use water crystals, especially due to possible dangers if not absorbed correctly or is on a feeder when fed to a cham. I also don't generally need water crystals ever.
I agree, with proper gutload I've seen my dubias reproduce like crazy and no need for water crystals. And don't u dare give them oranges as I think it's their aphrodisiac lol also, if u give them yam or potatoes, I noticed if not removed after a couple hours, they forme some gunk from the moisture and that could leak to the bin and make room for mold so take it out once you think they've had enough, oranges seems that they devour completely, almost to the skin.

Ya. That sounds good.

• Egg Cartons
  • good ventilation
  • an experiment group
  • no phobia of bugs
For egg cartons, try going to your local grocery store and ask a clerk/manager if they have some to spare in the back. Unless u got a store that sells them. Get enough and pick the best ones as some might be dirty.

I am in southern Ohio, near Cincinnati. Sorry. :unsure:

This sounds great tho, guys. Thank you for all this information!

How often do you need to clean the bin?

Back
Top Bottom