Mojo got out of his cage—hear squeaking

Grainy86

So, I left the door of his cage slightly cracked because I’m worried about the airflow in the cage and a potential respiratory infection and it was a temporary solution until the new cage comes in. I leave, come back, and I can’t find him anywhere. I’ve been searching for an hour now, moved everything. Checked up high and on cords, on surrounding tapestries, removed the mirror on the wall, I’ve looked everywhere.
I hear occasional squeaking in his cage. I think it’s him, but I could be wrong. If it is, I’m majorly concerned that he could be hurt or sick or trapped somewhere, snd even though I hear the squeaking right there, so close, I don’t see him.
Any tips on finding him? I left for about half an hour but I never dreamed he would have climbed out, he’s too skittish. I feel so irresponsible for leaving the door open, and if he’s hurt or dead or I don’t find him I don’t know what I’ll do.

So, I left the door of his cage slightly cracked because I’m worried about the airflow in the cage and a potential respiratory infection and it was a temporary solution until the new cage comes in. I leave, come back, and I can’t find him anywhere. I’ve been searching for an hour now, moved everything. Checked up high and on cords, on surrounding tapestries, removed the mirror on the wall, I’ve looked everywhere.
I hear occasional squeaking in his cage. I think it’s him, but I could be wrong. If it is, I’m majorly concerned that he could be hurt or sick or trapped somewhere, snd even though I hear the squeaking right there, so close, I don’t see him.
Any tips on finding him? I left for about half an hour but I never dreamed he would have climbed out, he’s too skittish. I feel so irresponsible for leaving the door open, and if he’s hurt or dead or I don’t find him I don’t know what I’ll do.
Check up high and low. Disassembled his cage and check there too. Can I have a pic of your setup to see if there’s anywhere he could be trapped? What type of Cham is he too?

Check up high and low. Disassembled his cage and check there too. Can I have a pic of your setup to see if there’s anywhere he could be trapped? What type of Cham is he too?
I have the lights off right now because in my panic I accidentally pushed the analog thermometer into the heat lamp and melted it so I’m trying to let it cool. I can hear him right in front of me. I’ve removed his perch, searched all around the plants.
He’s a 5 month old veiled. His enclosure is a wreck right now because of me moving everything

I have checked behind the enclosure, completely removed and checked the tapestry hanging behind it. Followed the wires and anywhere they could have led. And removed the mirror that was hanging behind the enclosure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 93
He’s not exactly a big boy I don’t think he could have gone far and I really think this squeaking is him. The back of the cage is foam but I don’t see him being able to get behind it. I’ve checked behind the cage and under the table too. I feel like I’ve checked everywhere

Give it a good misting--- if he is in their he will move to higher ground... They are sneaky and he is probably watching your every move.

He’s not exactly a big boy I don’t think he could have gone far and I really think this squeaking is him. The back of the cage is foam but I don’t see him being able to get behind it. I’ve checked behind the cage and under the table too. I feel like I’ve checked every
Give it a good misting--- if he is in their he will move to higher ground... They are sneaky and he is probably watching your every move.
i have done that plus I’ve rummaged around his cage quite a bit looking for him. If he was going to move by now, he would’ve. I’m worried he’s trapped or hurt and can’t move.

He’s not exactly a big boy I don’t think he could have gone far and I really think this squeaking is him. The back of the cage is foam but I don’t see him being able to get behind it. I’ve checked behind the cage and under the table too. I feel like I’ve checked every

i have done that plus I’ve rummaged around his cage quite a bit looking for him. If he was going to move by now, he would’ve. I’m worried he’s trapped or hurt and can’t move.
Those little chameleons can give a good run. I’d seriously check everywhere. The foam backing in cages can easily pop out. I would just disassemble everything.

I posted this before.. here is what you might be looking for outside of cage.

Edited so I can add some other tricks..
1. How long were you gone.
2. Turn off ALL lights and close the door. Separate the room into manageable looking spots (I have done it for chams, frogs and other lizards and always have found them).

He will not move in the dark (shouldn't).

Then with a flash light look at ever portion, since he would probably would have climbed down first (the escape), and then up (the get away).
I have found one between t-shirts in the closet. He must have shimmied up the mirror frame but he did it.
3. The light will actually help you focus better, since they are good at hiding (that is their expertise).
Quick story: Wife looked in to the baby habitat yesterday and found only 2 of the 14. Just makes me feel good that I can spot them all.. :D (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20210811_142457748 (2).jpg
    PXL_20210811_142457748 (2).jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Don’t give up, he’ll come out or you’ll find him either way. Believe it or not they can travel pretty fast across a room so keep looking, just be careful where you step!

So first relax. I hate to admit it but I have had more than my share of escapes. They will eventually head up and toward light. Try to think like a chameleon. If she gets off the cage where is the next thing to climb. This is often first before they head for their main destination. She likely is not far and sees you before you see her. Sit very still don't move your head and don't look directly it the direction but use your peripheral. Only if she thinks you aren't looking will she move.
When you need to do a better search use a flash light and follow every thing she could climb. Systematically eliminate places she could be rather than look directly for her.

UPDATE! I FOUND HIM. LITTLE IDIOT WAS ALMOST 30 FEET AWAY CLIMBING THE HANGERS IN THE NEXT ROOM OVER. WHAT.

What you can do for airflow is if you have a fan point it downwards into that cage. Don’t blast your chameleon away but just enough to have a bit of airflow until you get another enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom