Moisture/Humidity Help!

Hanzow

Ok, so I have a live ficus, a dripper, a misting system that goes for 8 seconds every hour and I hand mist multiple times a day. I hand mist 3 times a day minimum and upwards of 6 times depending. Sometimes I have the fan on and the door open in that room to get rid of the stagnant air and generate a little air flow just to freshen things up. Obviously I lose some humidity with the fan and the open door so I hand mist to maintain. Anyway, is there anything I can add to the enclosure to add moisture or help maintain humidity at more of a constant rate? My enclosure is 16Wx16Dx32H combo screen and glass. I don't really want to cover the sides or eliminate air flow and I don't know if I want to up the misting times, as I made a mistake in picking the enclosure and there is no drainage, so I don't have to soak up like 3 inches of dirty water all the time. I was just wondering if there was something I could add. Like moss or something? I don't know... Please advise :)

What is your humidity at? I have a 16.16.30 all screen and mine is about 65-70 day and 70-75 at night

If I don't hand mist it will go down to the low 40s. I keep it between 50% and 70% during the day. It's usually in the 50s between hand mistings. It spikes when I mist and it drops back into the 50s. I let it drop at night to dry out a little it's between 45% and 50%. 45% is actually pretty typical at night. Basically I put in a lot of work to keep it regular and I want something that requires a little less effort for when my schedule changes so it's safe when I work in the middle of the day on regular basis. I live in California in the High Desert. It's very dry here... Are my night humidity ranges too low? Please advise!

I know your pain, I'm in Texas so it is really dry here also. Here is what I use http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Adorable-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Elephant/dp/B000GWHDES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373855654&sr=8-1&keywords=crane+humidifier+elephant I took the elephant top off which exposes where the mist comes out, you can put an 1 1/4 PVC pipe which I pipe all the way to the top and then I use 2 90 degree elbows so that it is misting right in the top of the cage. I then put it on a timer and adjust it daily until I get it where I am keeping the humidity where I want it.

Hey I have that exact one haha. I was considering running that in the room, but not necessarily into the enclosure because it would contribute to the pool that forms in the bottom if add moisture too often.

Lol how funny. Yea I would at least aim it at the enclosure. I tried to just keep the whole room at the right humidity and that was impossible without buying 2 more misters. I use a mistking and a dripper also so no drainage is just not an option for me.

im in east new mexico and there is no humidity here so i feel your pain. i got a shower liner from wal mart and cut it to fit around 2 sides on my cage but mine is all screen. do you have any live plants in it? they give a pretty nice boost to humidity. her cage is like a mini jungle, im going to add a fogger as well for a little extra umph and what type of cham do you have? ihavea veiled female and she loves to eat just about everything in her cage down to the dirt in the pots but between the ficus, the pothos, the small umbrella tree and the dracanea theyre all potted and with the mistings and the temp being at about 95 at the top of the cage and 2 sides wrapped in plastic.. it holds pretty well and still has good air flow. whats your tank temps?

Uh, I don't think your cham eating the potting soil is very safe. You should probably nip that in the bud. It's recommended you use rocks larger than your cham's head to prevent them from eating the dirt. I have a baby Nosy Be panther girl. Temps are low 80s during the day and low to mid 70s at night. Yes I have a live ficus, it was the first line of the post. I'm seriously considering fitting more plants in her enclosure to try to remedy this.

she doesnt go smash the soil regularly.. but every time i add a plant after repotting it she samples it leaves..main branch..the dirt and yes i do have some nice size smooth stones.. like river rocks and ive seen her shove her tounge down between them and almost get it stuck to taste the new dirt...vraziest think i ever saw bbBUT..its kinda of a catch 22 dont want her eating the soild but shes starting to walk around the bottom of the tank more checking out the soil and shes dug up a few small spots so i dont want to block her from digging being that that can be a sign she might be producing eggs

Chameleons do not need constant high humidity, they need peaks of higher humidity throughout the day. It is fine for the humidity to be in the low 40's through the day with it peaking as you spray. Spraying three times a day should be adequate. As long as the chameleon is well hydrated this will be fine. Using a dripper is a good idea but there will be excess water

Live plants help maintain humidity. I wouldn't use moss or soil though as they are likely to eat it.

I cover three sides of my all screen cages mainly to keep water from soraying out but it also holds humidity a little longer.

Remember the cage needs to fully dry out between mistings to avoid respiratory problems

Back
Top Bottom