Moist Sphagnum Moss for Substrate Layer?

ZachG

I understand pygmys need to dig a tunnel in order to lay eggs. I've seen many people mention using peat/coco peat as the substrate layer, but in my experience, that seems to stick to whatever I'm housing. I was wondering if a layer of sphag covered by live oak leaf litter (all of this on top of the drainage layer, of course) would be sufficient to maintain some humidity but also provide an area for egg laying.

I think that would be a bad idea because they should be able to lay eggs where they please and also feeders may hide in the moss. When I set up my pygmy chameleon viv I didn't use coco fiber but I used a vivarium substrate sort of like ABG (neherp viv mix) along with a drainage system as it will last much longer than coco fiber.

I think that would be a bad idea because they should be able to lay eggs where they please and also feeders may hide in the moss. When I set up my pygmy chameleon viv I didn't use coco fiber but I used a vivarium substrate sort of like ABG (neherp viv mix) along with a drainage system as it will last much longer than coco fiber.

Do you think they would be unable to lay eggs in the sphag? I've used ABG for my dart frog tanks but switched over to straight sphag since I've seen much better plant growth, and sphag doesn't break down nearly as fast as ABG in my conditions.

Feeders have a similar chance of hiding in an ABG covered by leaf litter substrate as they would this one.

Back
Top Bottom