Mistking update/advice?

JamesB88

Established Member
Finally set up my mistking over the weekend after all my procrastination and not wanting to read directions. Actually fairly easy, hard part was the timing...but now I've mastered that as well. My question is my chams lights come on at 7am and his first misting is at 730 am should I wait longer for the first misting to allow my Cham to warm up, he doesn't seem to mind but then again this is new to him and he's not acclimated to it yet. In simpler terms should I set the first misting for a littler later say 8am or even later.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.PNG
    IMG_2034.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
My lights come on at 7:30 and my first Mist is at 9. I had it at an hour but changed my light times from 8 to 7:30 and just didn't want to reprogram my mistking. It just my opinion on it but it gives him a chance to get up and around and moving.

My lights come on at 7:30 and my first Mist is at 9. I had it at an hour but changed my light times from 8 to 7:30 and just didn't want to reprogram my mistking. It just my opinion on it but it gives him a chance to get up and around and moving.
Yeah I think I'm going to reprogram his first misting at about 8am and see how that works, like u said give him a chance to move around, warm up ect...

I mist 30 mins after lights on, never had an issue and see them drinking off the leaves after. They wake up covered in dew in the wild.
Yeah I figured a half hour after the lights come on was enough but I still might move it to an HR after the lights come on, I'll have to do this and see his reaction during the weekend as I'm at work all day and off weekends. I'm really just trying to get some feedback on people's first mist and when. I didn't know if chams had to warm up first, but like you said in the wild they wake up with dew on them. Thanks for the reply

Im new to all this and was about to get a mistking but could i see your setup or get any suggestions on where to have the mist coming from?

I have a MistKing ultimate set up for my Panther, his first Mist is 9.00am, then 12, 3, 6 & 9pm. I have a digital thermostat set to a programme. Temp increases from 65f around 7.00am and gradually progresses until it peaks at midday. T5 lights don't come on until 10am, an hour after his first mist. I wouldn't worry about it, I focus on replicating his natural environment and I'm pretty sure it still rains in Madagascar during temp drops overnight. If you have a digital thermostat maybe set to increase temp around the time of first mist, that will help humidity levels too.

Nausicah It all depends on your setup, I have mine misting most of my plants mainly my pothos to create water droplets on the leaves for drinking and to control humidity. Most people put there nozzles in one of the front corners but you can set it up how ever you like. Hope this helps. (y)

I have a MistKing ultimate set up for my Panther, his first Mist is 9.00am, then 12, 3, 6 & 9pm. I have a digital thermostat set to a programme. Temp increases from 65f around 7.00am and gradually progresses until it peaks at midday. T5 lights don't come on until 10am, an hour after his first mist. I wouldn't worry about it, I focus on replicating his natural environment and I'm pretty sure it still rains in Madagascar during temp drops overnight. If you have a digital thermostat maybe set to increase temp around the time of first mist, that will help humidity levels too.
I honestly sat home the weekend I put this together to watch the humidity all day and set my timers to keep it at a steady 60% the first half and about 75-80% humidity mid day and then about 2 hrs before lights out I have one timer set that kicks it up to about 90% humidity, everything is dry before he sleeps and the humidity is high around 75-80% before lights go out. I don't mist during sleep hours as I read it can cause uri and disrupt sleep patterns, and I know in the wild it does rain at night but I'd rather avoid a uri and sleep deprivation!

I honestly sat home the weekend I put this together to watch the humidity all day and set my timers to keep it at a steady 60% the first half and about 75-80% humidity mid day and then about 2 hrs before lights out I have one timer set that kicks it up to about 90% humidity, everything is dry before he sleeps and the humidity is high around 75-80% before lights go out. I don't mist during sleep hours as I read it can cause uri and disrupt sleep patterns, and I know in the wild it does rain at night but I'd rather avoid a uri and sleep deprivation!
Alo, keep in mind that you want the cage to dry out between misting. If it stays wet all the time it can cause mold to grow.

Alo, keep in mind that you want the cage to dry out between misting. If it stays wet all the time it can cause mold to grow.
Oh yeah it drys out between each misting there all set about 2 hrs apart allowing dry time, the humidity drops during dry time quite a bit about 20% sometimes depending on the temp in the room. I do regular cleaning weekly since on this setup the bottom is bare beside the two plants. I just remove them at the time of cleaning and it's very easy to keep clean and bacteria/mold free! Thanks for the input :)

I have mine in the top left center. I do have to keep adjusting the nozzle because DZ likes to move it sometimes.
View attachment 171942
What kind of flowers are those in that pic next to your pothos? My gf loves them and wants some color added to the cage now lol thanks. I tried a bromeliads but misting caused over watering. Orchids? Or are they just fake plants?

What kind of flowers are those in that pic next to your pothos? My gf loves them and wants some color added to the cage now lol thanks. I tried a bromeliads but misting caused over watering. Orchids? Or are they just fake plants?

LOL, they are just fake cherry blossoms I found at Michaels. I got some in pink and some in white. They have really sturdy branches so they are great.

Back
Top Bottom