Mistking pump leaking issue - customer service unhelpful

Scoobysnak

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the long post/rant but I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I ordered the Mistking Starter Misting System v5.0 last November. So it’s only been 5 months since I’ve had this thing, not even half a year. The pump started leaking from one of the connectors on the pump. It’s more of a slow, dribbling leak but enough that I have to put the pump on a stand inside of a bucket, really inconvenient. I thought this thing was supposed to be durable and last years and I’m not doing anything fancy with it, just one pump and one line, for one chameleon. I contacted MistKing and they just sent me a hyperlink of what part I need to buy (1/4” in pump fitting). They told me that this piece is not covered under warranty, only the pump itself. I don’t understand that logic because the pump can’t function without that piece. But I thought whatever, it’s just a $3 piece so I’ll buy it myself. Problem is, they ship from Canada and it’s $20+ to get it here (California). I’ve checked other retail websites and the shipping fee is either the same or it’s out of stock.

Has anyone had this same issue? Is there something I can buy at home depot so I can DIY it? I’d rather look at other options before I shell out $20 for a stupid little piece.

Tldr: Mistking pump is leaking after only 5months, but the fittings are not under warranty. Customer service is not very helpful, need help on what I can do to fix. :(

Thank you,
Scooby’s mom

I have not had the problem, but breaking it down the metal part that the 1/4 hose connects to unscrews. If that mechanism like right where the plastic insert is, has a leak it is the part. You may be able to get it at your local hardware store. It just has to be the same size and threading.
If the drip is coming from the the area where the metal screws into the pump. Then the part is fine. In that case I would unscrew it and wrap with plumbers tape and screw back in.

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the long post/rant but I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I ordered the Mistking Starter Misting System v5.0 last November. So it’s only been 5 months since I’ve had this thing, not even half a year. The pump started leaking from one of the connectors on the pump. It’s more of a slow, dribbling leak but enough that I have to put the pump on a stand inside of a bucket, really inconvenient. I thought this thing was supposed to be durable and last years and I’m not doing anything fancy with it, just one pump and one line, for one chameleon. I contacted MistKing and they just sent me a hyperlink of what part I need to buy (1/4” in pump fitting). They told me that this piece is not covered under warranty, only the pump itself. I don’t understand that logic because the pump can’t function without that piece. But I thought whatever, it’s just a $3 piece so I’ll buy it myself. Problem is, they ship from Canada and it’s $20+ to get it here (California). I’ve checked other retail websites and the shipping fee is either the same or it’s out of stock.

Has anyone had this same issue? Is there something I can buy at home depot so I can DIY it? I’d rather look at other options before I shell out $20 for a stupid little piece.

Tldr: Mistking pump is leaking after only 5months, but the fittings are not under warranty. Customer service is not very helpful, need help on what I can do to fix. :(

Thank you,
Scooby’s mom
Pics?

At the same time, it’s $20. By the time you get it figured out and maybe even make a mistake or two... just do it right with the right parts the first time.

Last edited:
I've not had this problem. First I would check the things CasqueAbove and Jevin mentioned.
If you still need a part, you might try places that sell equipment/parts for hydroponic gardening.

Is it leaking from the output side of the pump? If the cut isn't straight or there's damage to the part of the tube that pushes in, it will leak.
I think it’s on the input side but I’ll go check again when i get home today. I think I’ll try using flextape like others mentioned. That might just work because its just a small leak.

I think it’s on the input side but I’ll go check again when i get home today. I think I’ll try using flextape like others mentioned. That might just work because its just a small leak.
Please reconsider using flex tape... that is just a band aid solution and not really fixing the issue...

Can you link to the part that Mistking said to buy or a picture of the part? If its what I think, It can be found here.... However I am not sure if its 1/8" or 1/4" NPT fitting

Here is the link to the 1/8" NPT
https://www.mcmaster.com/51055K11/

Here is the link the to 1/4" NPT
https://www.mcmaster.com/51055K12/

Home Depot/Lowes will also have these in stock.

If it is leaking from the pump/thread interface:
give yours another 1/4 turn and see if that solves the problem. If not take it off and add some teflon tape and screw it back in

If its leaking from the tube/push to connect seal"
These cuts need to be 100% square.... If you used scissors or wire cutters, its not square and can/will/most likely leak. Use a straight razor against a cutting surface and you should be golden.

Back
Top Bottom