Mistking on its way!!

Update it's still won't work it drips in any reservoir I put it to so I want to return it. If I return do I return to Mist King or LLLreptile where I purchased? Or is there someway to get a new one?

If the hose isn't seated properly it can leak. The connections can fool you. You can think it is seated when it isn't. I've had them in so tight I couldn't pull the connection apart but it wasn't in all the way. Push it in really hard and twist at the same time. You may find it suddenly slides in a little bit more and is just fine.

Sometimes there is a failure of a fitting but I've had too many leaks fixed by simply pushing it in all the way.

If the hose isn't seated properly it can leak. The connections can fool you. You can think it is seated when it isn't. I've had them in so tight I couldn't pull the connection apart but it wasn't in all the way. Push it in really hard and twist at the same time. You may find it suddenly slides in a little bit more and is just fine.

Sometimes there is a failure of a fitting but I've had too many leaks fixed by simply pushing it in all the way.
I did try that I pushed as hard as I could but it wouldn't leak around the hose it's around the actual gasket. Thank you for your tip though.

I did try that I pushed as hard as I could but it wouldn't leak around the hose it's around the actual gasket. Thank you for your tip though.

The hole you make for the fitting to the reservoir is never perfectly flat. A round bucket has a curve as does most of the plastic containers, plus there is a distortion from the act of making the hole itself. If you over tighten the connection, the gasket flattens out and lets water seep around any deviations.

Try loosening up the connection and letting the gasket fluff back up.

I've twisted and deformed the plastic when drilling my first bucket. I never did test it to see if it would keep a seal. Did you deform the surface of your reservoir when making the hole?

I use buckets from my local bakery. I know they are food safe. I would be afraid to use a Sterlite for a couple of reasons. I would worry about what is leeching into the water and I would also worry about it cracking.

There could be a crack in the connector that would cause a leak, but other than a crack, the tubing not seating, over tightening and flattening the gasket or distorting the hole, I can't think of a reason it could possibly leak. I still think you should try to reseat the tubing. The origin of a water leak on them is quite deceptive. I've thought leaks were at the pump only to find them at the reservoir. Also, if the tube isn't cut perfectly it won't seat properly. I must have six or seven tube cutters lying around my house. The tube cutters are a godsend.

The hole you make for the fitting to the reservoir is never perfectly flat. A round bucket has a curve as does most of the plastic containers, plus there is a distortion from the act of making the hole itself. If you over tighten the connection, the gasket flattens out and lets water seep around any deviations.

Try loosening up the connection and letting the gasket fluff back up.

I've twisted and deformed the plastic when drilling my first bucket. I never did test it to see if it would keep a seal. Did you deform the surface of your reservoir when making the hole?

I use buckets from my local bakery. I know they are food safe. I would be afraid to use a Sterlite for a couple of reasons. I would worry about what is leeching into the water and I would also worry about it cracking.

There could be a crack in the connector that would cause a leak, but other than a crack, the tubing not seating, over tightening and flattening the gasket or distorting the hole, I can't think of a reason it could possibly leak. I still think you should try to reseat the tubing. The origin of a water leak on them is quite deceptive. I've thought leaks were at the pump only to find them at the reservoir. Also, if the tube isn't cut perfectly it won't seat properly. I must have six or seven tube cutters lying around my house. The tube cutters are a godsend.
I will try right now and no the bucket isn't distorted in any way that I see but the hose seems to not be cut right might have been one of my friends helping who tried to cut it. If that doesn't work I'll just order a new gasket and a tube cutter that you recommend .

So I've checked and the tubing is a bit off so I went to Home Depot and asked them to do a clean cut but it's still leaking.

Sterilite

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170830-190452.png
    Screenshot_20170830-190452.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 100
So I've checked and the tubing is a bit off so I went to Home Depot and asked them to do a clean cut but it's still leaking.
As you have tried caulking, tubing being cut flush, several containers and drill sizes as well as attempting attaching the head both ways (tight and loose) I would lean towards having the head and seal replaced. If you don't decide to try to return it all together. You can go to a pet shop to get a cheap one TEMPORARILY until you can get the issue resolved.

As you have tried caulking, tubing being cut flush, several containers and drill sizes as well as attempting attaching the head both ways (tight and loose) I would lean towards having the head and seal replaced. If you don't decide to try to return it all together. You can go to a pet shop to get a cheap one TEMPORARILY until you can get the issue resolved.
Well he's has a little dropper right now that I had stored in case of emergency if this didn't work which was a great idea.I will order these new parts once I pay some money off of my credit card!

I will try right now and no the bucket isn't distorted in any way that I see but the hose seems to not be cut right might have been one of my friends helping who tried to cut it. If that doesn't work I'll just order a new gasket and a tube cutter that you recommend .

The tube cutter is a godsend. I have somewhere around 50 or 60 cages and couldn't do without a tube cutter. I am constantly moving cages around, disconnecting and reconnecting hoses. It is impossible to cut the tube straight. You don't want to crimp it either. You have to use a straight blade, not scissors.

I've always found a leak was my error. It is really hard to tell the tube is properly seated, even when using maximum pressure. Twisting it as I push helps. I find everything really hard to connect or disconnect but I have arthritis in my hands and super soft finger nails.

Good luck.

The tube cutter is a godsend. I have somewhere around 50 or 60 cages and couldn't do without a tube cutter. I am constantly moving cages around, disconnecting and reconnecting hoses. It is impossible to cut the tube straight. You don't want to crimp it either. You have to use a straight blade, not scissors.

I've always found a leak was my error. It is really hard to tell the tube is properly seated, even when using maximum pressure. Twisting it as I push helps. I find everything really hard to connect or disconnect but I have arthritis in my hands and super soft finger nails.

Good luck.
Wow which chameleons do you breed I mean 60 cages that's a whole lotta beautiful animals!! And yes I will invest in a cutter and hopefully everything will work this time

Wow which chameleons do you breed I mean 60 cages that's a whole lotta beautiful animals!! And yes I will invest in a cutter and hopefully everything will work this time

I couldn't live without my tube cutters! Until you get a tube cutter, use a razor blade from the painting section but don't cut yourself. That tubing is REALLY hard to cut without a tube cutter.

I got a little shock myself when I did a quick count before I posted to you. See the guy in my avatar? That's the species I specialize in, Trioceros quadricornis gracilior. I have a large collection of them.

I also have quite a few pairs of Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis. And I can't forget my Mickey Mouse chameleons, Calumma malthe. I have 3.6 malthe. I also have one or two Calumma crypticum males but I've lent them to another breeder since he has the only other females I know of in the US. He also has the help of a large zoo to make sure we get some babies. The crypticum were misidentified at export and I recognized them at the importers. It helps to live in the same city as the importer! The crypticum are really unique. They are called the Blue Legged Chameleon.

Calumma crypiticm:
image (5).png

20170224_112740.jpg

Trioceros quadricornis gracilior:
20161106_123958.jpg

Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis:
imagejpeg_0.jpg

I couldn't live without my tube cutters! Until you get a tube cutter, use a razor blade from the painting section but don't cut yourself. That tubing is REALLY hard to cut without a tube cutter.

I got a little shock myself when I did a quick count before I posted to you. See the guy in my avatar? That's the species I specialize in, Trioceros quadricornis gracilior. I have a large collection of them.

I also have quite a few pairs of Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis. And I can't forget my Mickey Mouse chameleons, Calumma malthe. I have 3.6 malthe. I also have one or two Calumma crypticum males but I've lent them to another breeder since he has the only other females I know of in the US. He also has the help of a large zoo to make sure we get some babies. The crypticum were misidentified at export and I recognized them at the importers. It helps to live in the same city as the importer! The crypticum are really unique. They are called the Blue Legged Chameleon.

Calumma crypiticm:
View attachment 189565

View attachment 189566

Trioceros quadricornis gracilior:
View attachment 189567

Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis:
View attachment 189568
Haha yes wouldn't want to take a cut at my skin. Also very amazing how you work with so many different chameleons. Indeed the blue legged is very astonishing! My fiancé knows my love for chameleons and was actually going to buy me a gracilior for Christmas but I couldn't find much information on them as how to keep them happy and other info so I told her it's best not to buy one until there's a hefty info on them out there to where I can meet theirs needs. I'm also aware they aren't the friendliest from what I heard but it wouldn't matter I have a grumpy veiled, The veiled is King Theloneus and my Nosy Be is Arctic

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 71
Haha yes wouldn't want to take a cut at my skin. Also very amazing how you work with so many different chameleons. Indeed the blue legged is very astonishing! My fiancé knows my love for chameleons and was actually going to buy me a gracilior for Christmas but I couldn't find much information on them as how to keep them happy and other info so I told her it's best not to buy one until there's a hefty info on them out there to where I can meet theirs needs. I'm also aware they aren't the friendliest from what I heard but it wouldn't matter I have a grumpy veiled, The veiled is King Theloneus and my Nosy Be is Arctic

You should have talked to me! There isn't a lot of information on them and likely won't be. Any of the graciliors you see posted on the internet in the US are from me. I have been told I have the biggest collection of them in the world.

I can tell you they are very hardy. They are really easy to care for as long as they have enough humidity and coolish temps. I have them all throughout my house in different rooms with different temperatures. They are quite forgiving but can't be kept warm or dry. I suspect humidity is the most important thing for them.

Friendly is not a term I ever use with chameleons. Some of my females quads are extremely personable. They come running when I open a door, looking for food. The males are always out in the open being beautiful, so they are not a secretive species. I have one male quad who is as beligerent as a veiled, but most are pretty tolerant but not like a panther. I have never tried to tame any of mine so don't know how "friendly" they could get. I treat them as a look-don't-touch kind of a pet.

You should have talked to me! There isn't a lot of information on them and likely won't be. Any of the graciliors you see posted on the internet in the US are from me. I have been told I have the biggest collection of them in the world.

I can tell you they are very hardy. They are really easy to care for as long as they have enough humidity and coolish temps. I have them all throughout my house in different rooms with different temperatures. They are quite forgiving but can't be kept warm or dry. I suspect humidity is the most important thing for them.

Friendly is not a term I ever use with chameleons. Some of my females quads are extremely personable. They come running when I open a door, looking for food. The males are always out in the open being beautiful, so they are not a secretive species. I have one male quad who is as beligerent as a veiled, but most are pretty tolerant but not like a panther. I have never tried to tame any of mine so don't know how "friendly" they could get. I treat them as a look-don't-touch kind of a pet.
Yea I should have! And wow I thought they needed some special care I mean since I already have this Mist King all I need is to add another connection to it and a cage and a plant and I should be ready I have spare bulbs and domes here at home. I'll think about it. I should be getting a raise so I'll be able to keep another. Chameleons are so amazing everyone on this forum was right you can never just have one! So you also breed them? How much do you ask for one of your treasures?

Yea I should have! And wow I thought they needed some special care I mean since I already have this Mist King all I need is to add another connection to it and a cage and a plant and I should be ready I have spare bulbs and domes here at home. I'll think about it. I should be getting a raise so I'll be able to keep another. Chameleons are so amazing everyone on this forum was right you can never just have one! So you also breed them? How much do you ask for one of your treasures?

Honest, they are a beginner's chameleon as long as you can keep the humidity up. If I can with just a MistKing anyone can. I'll PM you.

Honest, they are a beginner's chameleon as long as you can keep the humidity up. If I can with just a MistKing anyone can. I'll PM you.
Alright sounds good. And wow from what I've read people have said that's actually very nice to know that I might be able to keep one

I find installing the nozzle in the front corner by the door hinge pointed at the opposite back corner gives the best spray coverage with the least overspray.

I've done exactly the same, front left corner just hung in place with some garden wire for now.
It sprays the whole cage and seems to keep all of the spray in the cage.

I do have the corner plate ready (as it's a mesh cage) for when I have time for a proper install. My Veiled is 16 weeks so I'm giving him his space apart from his daily hand feeds where I lure him out for a few minutes before putting him back.

Update my mistking made it But my reservoir kept leaking I'll post pics it's the black container and idk how to fix this or should I get something else?

Does it leak from around the outside of the bulkhead or where the pipe pushes into it?

I found I was being a little too gentle at first. I pushed the pipe into the bulkhead and it started dripping, lifted the pipe up a little to straighten it and it stopped until I let go and it started dripping again. Turns out I hadn't pushed the pipe in far enough due to my fear of being to heavy handed and breaking it.

I did drill the hole for the bulkhead slightly smaller than required and used sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit to enlarge the hole as required.

Does it leak from around the outside of the bulkhead or where the pipe pushes into it?

I found I was being a little too gentle at first. I pushed the pipe into the bulkhead and it started dripping, lifted the pipe up a little to straighten it and it stopped until I let go and it started dripping again. Turns out I hadn't pushed the pipe in far enough due to my fear of being to heavy handed and breaking it.

I did drill the hole for the bulkhead slightly smaller than required and used sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit to enlarge the hole as required.
It leaks on the outside of the bulkhead and believe me I pushed that pipe to my hearts content and it still leaked but not from the pipe that I know, Mist King answered me back and said I should order more tubing and a tube cutter and he will include a new bulkhead assembly in my order for free. So I will be doing that.

If it's from outside of the bulkhead between that and the plastic of the reservoir then it isn't the pipe. I didnt bother with a pipe cutter just used a Stanley knife.

I'd be tempted to drill the hole slightly smaller and sand to fit.
That way you'll be sure your drilled hole isn't that fraction to big.

Back
Top Bottom