misting...

aaron1

sorry guys im a complete novice...any tips on misting?i just used a bottle spray every now and again...

You're fine to use a manual spray bottle by hand. Use WARM water, a fine spray, spray the cage and leaves rather than directly at /on the chameleon. If this is the only method of providing water (if you are not also dripping) or if this is how you are raising ambient humidity, you'll want to do this several times a day for 5 or more minutes at a time. Hopefully you will observe the chameleon drinking off of leaves etc. Ensure branches dry between waterings. Drain excess water (so that it does not harbour bacteria, etc).

:):):D:)One thing i need to tell you.
If your using screen caging you will need to spray more because the humidity dose not keep as much. But other than that good luck:D:):D:)

I use a screen. I have taped a black garbage back to the backside and underside of my cage to keep water from marking walls and soaking into the ground.

I use a screen. I have taped a black garbage back to the backside and underside of my cage to keep water from marking walls and soaking into the ground.

This is a good idea that i think we should start telling more beginners about. A lot of us use this method of trash bags / shower curtains to keep from having mold grow on the walls.

You might want to invest in a pesticide sprayer in the future. make sure you purchase a new one and never ever put pesticide in it. only water. it will make misting easier and keep you from looking like Popeye.

I hand spray too....

I hand spray even though I have a lot of chams. I am home all day and like the interaction. I can also observe if they are drinking and how much. It really helps in the assessment of health and early indication of a problem. I also personally like cleaning up any doo doo before misting. I have not gotten over the concept of potentially misting poop with an auto mist system. I suppose if I have less time some day I will get over it. You can adjust you misting cycle by observing how often your cham drinks.

This is a good idea that i think we should start telling more beginners about. A lot of us use this method of trash bags / shower curtains to keep from having mold grow on the walls.

You might want to invest in a pesticide sprayer in the future. make sure you purchase a new one and never ever put pesticide in it. only water. it will make misting easier and keep you from looking like Popeye.

When I kept the chameleons inside, I lined the walls behind the cages with the lightly adhesive clear book cover material (I think it's vinyl) that you can find at WalMart. The walls were painted green in the chameleon room at the time and you couldn't see the vinyl. It blended right in. It looked pretty spiffy too! It comes in a roll and is available in the section where shelving contact paper is sold. As for underneath the cages, I just sat them on top of drip pans.

When I disassembled the chameleon room two years later and pulled the vinyl off the painted walls, it didn't damage any of the paint and there were no signs of leakage.

UI use the black because my cage is black so it just looks like the cage is solid. I use one both inside and under the base for double layer, that way when I cahge it, I can pull u[ the top and then the one Under the cage can catch whatever fluid by get by me. I am going to look at getting an electronic mister..the kind used in gardening..might be the same as the pesticide thing..

haha, Popeye..Yea, I had to do it to see if I did it..;)

Hate to hi-jack the thread but...
I keep seeing that you should use warm water when misting. I mist manually with room temperature water. Is that okay? If I use warm water straight from the tap do I need to add stuff to eliminate chlorine and other chemicals?

thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I use a Reptarium.. so I use a screened aquarium lid across the top as support, otherwise the lights will burn the reptarium and also sag it badly. Leo's I think it a 20 long. I set the trifold lights on top as well as the dripper. It fits perfectly from one side to the other..

As far as misting goes, I use hot water from the tap. I dont use anything extra in it. With my RETFs I use RO filtered since they absorb with their skin..

Back
Top Bottom