Misting

Hello, I just got a baby veiled a few days ago. I hand mist her mesh cage multiple times and day but it gets everything else soaked. How do I mist her cage without getting the walls and floors wet?

Is your cage on the floor? It should be on a table or something, chameleons like being up high or it stresses them out. For the wall, I have a shower curtain on the back of mine to keep my wall dry.

It's on a table but the table gets wet and drips onto the floor
2277A313-D92E-4DF2-A4A9-626C24428999.jpeg

Hmmm. Well I have a plastic mat under my enclosure. You could try that. I've never had this problem though. Question, what is your humidity levels?

The humidity levels fluctuate, I have to mist about 3-4 times a day to keep the humidity at 70. I don't want to disturb her sleep so I don't mist at night and it can get down to 40. I'm thinking about getting a misting system to keep it more humid. I just got a shower curtain to put around her cage so hopefully that helps

The humidity levels fluctuate, I have to mist about 3-4 times a day to keep the humidity at 70. I don't want to disturb her sleep so I don't mist at night and it can get down to 40. I'm thinking about getting a misting system to keep it more humid. I just got a shower curtain to put around her cage so hopefully that helps
Ok so during the day you don't want the humidity to be over 50%. At night it would be a good idea to run a fogger or like you said, a misting system so the humidity goes up to as high as 100%. But keeping high humidity during the day will cause a respiratory infection which you definitely dont want to deal with. Try adding more live plants though, chameleons like to feel safe and hidden.

@PoseidonTheChameleon already wrote, don´t let humidity rise above 50% during the day. If you mist just before lights go off and after lights go on, it would be better and gives your cham a chance to drink water drops from the leaves. You can remove the small water dish, they don´t use it and it´s source for bacterial grow. It looks like you got the enclosure fully wrapped with plastic? The back and sides are okay, however the front isn´t advised. You need the ventilation and the chimney effect , otherwise in combination with your daytime misting, you drastically increase the chance respiratory infection and fungus / bacterial grow.

If misting keeps troubling with the access water, try to mist from above through the top screen, this will simulate rain and trigger the drinking reflex of your cham.

For some screen cage setup inspiration, you could check following https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

Hello, I just got a baby veiled a few days ago. I hand mist her mesh cage multiple times and day but it gets everything else soaked. How do I mist her cage without getting the walls and floors wet?
Learn to aim better. 😁 Seriously. 😐 A moisture barrier around the perimeter should solve the problem. You may also need drainage, like most everyone that mists and waters their plants in pots.

There's a thread about it here: Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

You can get drain pans from enclosure mfrs., or generic after-market:
https://www.google.com/search?q=24x...UNQ80KHUaEAbUQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=636

It's also another good reason for hybrid enclosures w/ solid sides & backs, and automated misting (like a MistKing) with reliable aimable nozzles—not a perfect fix, but better. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom