Misting

scout83

I just got the mistking with the one nozzle got it just to help with humidity my Cham drinks from his dripper I have a large cage 6'h 4'w 2'd should I put the nozzle in the middle or point it towards the basking side or the cooler side I didn't know if the heat from the basking side is whats pulling out the humidity

I have two 150 watt basking bulbs on one side and it's 93 degrees where his vines are for him to bask I'm just trying how to keep a pretty constant humidity level I'm looking for Amy advice on how to go about this I have a dripper and I spray I have 5 live plants in there I wrapped plastic around 3 sides I just got the mist king I also have a humidifier on the side of the room he is on to add more moisture I'm puzzled if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

What are you using to measure the humidity, and where is it placed? If it's an analog type, they can be very inaccurate. If it's digital, and placed near the basking spot, it's going to give you a lower reading than what the humidity is in the rest of the cage. I keep my thermometer/hygro probe in the bottom half of the cage, and have a second thermometer probe up at the basking spot. Seems to work well for me.

I put mine on top of the cage, pointing down at an angle.

They are mounted at about 3'' in from the corner.

You know those corner braces they sell as an option?
Well, that is about where I mount them.

What are you using to measure the humidity, and where is it placed? If it's an analog type, they can be very inaccurate. If it's digital, and placed near the basking spot, it's going to give you a lower reading than what the humidity is in the rest of the cage. I keep my thermometer/hygro probe in the bottom half of the cage, and have a second thermometer probe up at the basking spot. Seems to work well for me.

I agree, cheap hygrometers are notorious for being inaccurate.
Lot of times, they are way off!!

Try to find one that has a certificate of calibration, and has instructions on how to perform the calibration yourself (or have it sent to the manufacturer).

A hygrometer should be calibrated once a year, and the calibration kits are pretty cheap at Amazon.com

This is the hygrometer I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-445815...5904599&sr=8-2&keywords=calibrated+hygrometer

It has a calibration adjustment pot on the back, and it's very accurate.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you should point the mister towards one of your live plants in the enclosure, I think away from the basking spot is ideal. If you spray his basking spot, he may be less inclined to want to be there, and thus will not get enough basking time in each day. I think if the misting is happening towards the cooler side of the cage, it gives him the option to leave the area and head to the basking area to warm up. You don't want to cool down his basking area....tho you might wanna lift your lights a bit...93 degrees seems a bit high to me.

I use a digital and it's in the middle of the cage but at the top and I'm getting ready to lift the basking lights up a little bit and I'm using a fish tank warmer for the mistking and I'm getting a 48" uvb high output to stretch across the top of the cage

I put me hygrometer in the middle of my cage towards the bottom and it's reading 58-60 in humidity is that good since the hygrometer is at the bottom does that mean the whole cage is good

Back
Top Bottom