Misting system DIY

Jordan

I have seen a lot of ideas on the internet and in here for misting systems. This is one of mine. If you are an owner of one or two chameleons this works pretty good. You will not have to spend the time misting yourself and it is pretty cheap for a little bit of an up grade. You fill the resivour, pump it up, lock it on, and go. I used this on a reptarium 100 gallon: 30"x16.5"x48".

The first item I used came from Home Depot. It was a lawn and garden sprayer. The model number is 1401 and I bought for $7.43 plus tax. The reason I picked this one is it is a direct fit for the hosing attachment and you can still use the on/off switch that is provided with the sprayer.

The next thing needed is 1/4 hosing. I had extra from some previous project. I got this at Wal Mart for $3.50-4 and it was for 50'. It is black, vinly, and uv resistant. It sold under the name "Drip Master. In this line I also purchased some 1/4 tubing elbows and 1/4 tubing "t's". Each pack came with six and were $1.20-1.50. Not these actually say for cold water use. I have used some of these same products for a substainal amount of time using hot water with no ill effects.

From Home Depot I also purchased a product that sold under the name "Toro Blue Stripe Drip Foggers". Model number 53651. I actually purchased quite a few different types but these worked the best. They sold for $5.43 for a pack of six. If you have a smaller cage in height these may not be your best bet. I choose them because the spray came down about 10" before it started to spread. The reason I liked this is because I have veileds and they do not like being directly sprayed. This gives them a couple little zones up high where they can get out of the water if they want too.

The first thing I did was set-up the misting bridge. In the pictures I show two but ended up using three as they did not get the plants as wet as I wanted.

im000486.jpg im000490.jpg

This can be secure to the top of the cage with wire ties. I did have to snip through three of the lines of mesh to get the top of the "L" fitting through the mesh. I then ran attached the line and ran it to the base. Next came modifing the sprayer which was extremely easy with this model. In the first picture is the peice I omitted from the orginal design. Instead I moved the nut screw down and "O ring" up the hose. I then attached the hose. As you move the nut screw down the "O ring" will seat the hose and stop any leaks. I am not sure what a proper name is for the "nut screw down" that I was refering too. In the pictures you will see it as a triangluar cylandier with threads on the inside.

im000475a.jpg im000471.jpg

Again this is not some high tech misting system. It does however save some time and is less envasive. You add hot water in the resivour. I use 3/4 of a gallon. Pump it up good. Lock the handle in the open position. Pump it a couple more time. I let it run all the way out usually taking about 15 minutes. That is 15 minutes of me not having to stand there. Plus I have two chameleons so that is about an hour and a half a day. Really instead of me standing there I find I do not mist them enough. After my valve quit working on the automated system I said screw it and went to this. I like it pretty good and my chameleons get there water regardless of whether I am lazy that day or have to work.

Last edited:
I bought the pro mist system for 250...........Im actually impressed. My only complaint so far it the coverage.........initially I thought that I was going to have problems with the mist hitting the lights as I dropped the nozzle in at a 45 degree angle.........but it actually isnt a problem and I think it may actually be too narrow of a spray pattern. I am going to upgrade to an additional nozzle on the opposite side of the cage to add some area.......Im overy impressed with it.

Thanks to Zerrah for steering me in the right direction instead of building 8 different home made kits to be pissed off later.

Hey Jordan,

That's really cool. Would you be able to post a couple more pics of the whole unit and how it all hooks up together. Also ... I'm not sure how you would attach this to the enclosure! Do you have separate nozzles in each of your enclosures and just hook the hose up to one nozzle at a time and then pump up the unit.

I have a vague idea but am still a little confused! :confused:

Thanks ... Dyesub Dave. :D

I really do not have any pictures of the set up any more. I have not used that system in awhile.

In the first two pictures you can see a nozzle at each end, two tubes leading to a "T" junction and then to an "L" junction piece. This whole thing just went in one cage. When I got the misting nozzles I simply hooked up some tube and nozzle so I could get an idea what I was working with testing it over the sink. I looked at the spray pattern based on how wide an area they could spray. Using the dimensions of the cage and the spray pattern I got a rough idea of how to cut the two tubes that ran between either nozzle. I did not get any overspray on the mesh until the plants had grown a bit and then it was still nothing that was getting on the floor. I attached this whole thing to the top inside of the cage using wire ties. I ran the "L" piece out of the top rear of the cage. Some screen will not allow wire ties so you may have to use twist ties. Also you may have to cut the screen a line or two in order to get the "L" piece out. Once mounted securely you can kind of wiggle the nozzles around to adjust if need be.

As for the rest of the set-up the pump sprayer itself set between the cages which at the begining point where side by side. I did at one point have them on opposite sides of the room and still had no problems pressurizing the system (took an extra second or two). I simply ran the tube that extends out of the resivour to a "T" piece and then tubing to the cage.

Now I did have a couple of nozzles die but had remaining ones from the orginal purchase.

Hope that made sense. To lazy to reread right now.

Hey Jordan,

That's really cool. Would you be able to post a couple more pics of the whole unit and how it all hooks up together. Also ... I'm not sure how you would attach this to the enclosure! Do you have separate nozzles in each of your enclosures and just hook the hose up to one nozzle at a time and then pump up the unit.

I have a vague idea but am still a little confused! :confused:

Thanks ... Dyesub Dave. :D

attaching hoses like that is pretty simple. as most people have the net type of enclosure, all you would really need is some twisty ties that you use on loafs of bread. or even silicon, just make sure its well dried before you put the chameleon back in so he doesnt inhale those fumes.

Back
Top Bottom