Misting System 2.0 remix

Today I spent my afternoon after work updating my RO/Misting system. I built the original about 18 months ago. At the time I sourced a lot of the parts and fittings from other places. This 'remake' of the system only uses AquaZamp parts and fittings. I especially like the Y fittings.

The most notable changes are:

Dual RO membranes and housings
Membrane flush valve configuration

Dual membranes allows for faster RO production and tank refill.

The new flush valve configuration should work better for the system. Before i used to flush water over the membrane by bypassing the restrictor orifice. This time I set it up so that I bypass the permeat check valve.

In the previous version of the flush there was a valve in parallel with the restrictor. When the valve opened the restrictor no longer was restricting water flow. This would allow a larger volume of water to pass over the membrane "cleaning it". Through some research I found that this is not an effective way to 'clean/flush' the membrane. The best way is to flush is to push water back through the membrane shedding any debris off the membrane from the inside out. Normally there is a check valve after the permeat port on the membrane housing that does not allow water to flow back into the housing. What I did was install the old valve in parallel with the check valve. When the valve opens RO water (permeate) is allowed back into the housing and 'shedding' debris off of the membrane. I had to do some reprogramming to the computer that controls the whole system.... but I seems to be working great. I can see some pressure loss in the tank wich tells me water is flowing back through the membrane. I think this should keep my membranes operating a lot longer than before :D

Here are some photos of the work I got done today.

Test fitting some components.... and moved the filter housing down a couple of inches from where it was before.

IMG_1334.jpg

How I had the misting pump and valves configured before I started.

IMG_1340.jpg

And how they ended up.

IMG_1347.jpg

The membrane flushing valve I talked about.

IMG_1349.jpg

The water input for the two membranes... I like how I was able to fit that Y fitting into position to feed the two housing... :D

IMG_1345.jpg

The RO side of the system.

IMG_1351.jpg

How it all ended up looking.

IMG_1343.jpg

The next stage will be installing the computer and misc. parts onto the open area of the wood panel. That shouldn't be too hard... :rolleyes::)

Woah, looks like a bunch of nonsense to me but it looks AMAZING! I wish I understood how these work. I'll leave it up to the pro's like you, lol! :D Congratulations on the improvments.

looks like a bunch of chaos thats not needed. spectrapure makes a wonderful system for reef tanks with flush valves. never ever had a problem with spectrapure. I use it for my chams too. my chams love the taste of the water. althou I am running an 180 gallon ro/di unit witch works well for me. with 2 pressure pumps.

I hope you don't think I am bashing you at all. just making and observation. its just my opinion

I've only seen ones like that but bigger for commercial use.
looks like you have a mini commercial unit.

looks like a bunch of chaos thats not needed. spectrapure makes a wonderful system for reef tanks with flush valves. never ever had a problem with spectrapure. I use it for my chams too. my chams love the taste of the water. althou I am running an 180 gallon ro/di unit witch works well for me. with 2 pressure pumps.

I hope you don't think I am bashing you at all. just making and observation. its just my opinion

I've only seen ones like that but bigger for commercial use.
looks like you have a mini commercial unit.

Wow, way to take the air out of his tires.

The best part about this unit, in my opinion, is the automatic and internet controlled features so I don't have to do anything :) It might look confusing to me, but all I know is that he understands it and it works!

I really like the internet part...I spend a lot of time on the road traveling for business and that is my main worry with my chams even though they are checked daily.... I want one!

Back
Top Bottom