Misting schedule

The3rdMan

I just got a pair of habba misters - what frequency should I set them for a carpet chameleon and a panther (separately of course). The choices are once every 1, 3 or 6 hours with sprays or drips that last 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds. Thanks in advance.

Not to be a downer but HabbaMisters are a waste of money. Return them if you can and try to big a misting system like Herpmist if you want to go that route. HabbaMisters are decent for frog set-ups and that's about it. We bought one a few years ago and ended up using it for our red-eye. They spray more than mist and if I recall I paid about $60-70 for mine. So if that is still the case on price, for just a few bucks more you can get a real misting system with two nozzles for your little ones. Hope this helps some :rolleyes:

This one has an extension that you can choose up to 5 outs - and each one can be adjusted to drip, spray or mist.

The other issue I neglected to mention with these systems is that the longest duration is sixty seconds. Some chameleons take a few full minutes of being misted sprayed before they will start drinking and this system does not allow that. If you are using this system purely to keep humidity up then go for it. But if your idea for this is to replace your regular misting systems I still say try to return them if possible...of course this is all opinion based on my experiences.

I also have a large rather ugly dripper that allows consistent drip - but I wanted something out of the way and not so, well, ugly. How long and consistent would you suggest a drip needs to go for? All day?

We use a dripper when we were settling in our guys when they were babies. As adults I only mist and it has seemed to be sufficient with no signs of dehydration to date. When were using drippers we had it drip once per second onto some leaves that could easily collect water. As always drainage is key though. And make sureyou clean out that dripper DAILY...they get really nasty really fast. Dripper was on for at least 8 hours a day but in conjunction with misting sessions as well. How old are your little guys? and how long have you had them?

Lisa

have had a veiled for 4 months - just got these two - both 3 months old. The Veiled has been misted/dripped successfully but wanted to try and get a different and easier setup going.

well they were part of a frog tank setup I bought a few months ago - I just never used them. They were laying around and wanted to try something different/easier than with my veiled.

...and another thing I really hate about constant dripping is that it kills my plants - so I may just buy a safe non-toxic artificial large leaf - at Pier 1 - and allow the drip to land on it within reach of the chams and collect the excess in a shallow dish at the bottom of the cage

Last edited:
Well like I said, IMHO I would stick to misting with a garden sprayer or invest in something with a better quality. The thing is a pain in the butt, has a small reservoir, and is loud. With only 2 chameleons misting by hand shouldn't be too bad...I have 6 and still mist by hand :p It's worth a shot to try it since you already have it but I wouldn't cut out hand mistings all together if the longest duration is 60 seconds.

I am going to advise you to throw them away.... or give them away and buy a herpmist system if you need to leave the animals alone for long periods of time where you can't mist them. I would not rely on the habbamist to do anything but make lots of noise. good luck!

Well setup is in transition so not complete - the usual basic setup really. The Panther is in a reptarium appropriately sized for his age with a Hibiscus plant and a variety of vines and wood branches throughout. UVB on top and and a 60 watt in basking area. Same for the Carpet except he's in his permanent screened home and instead of hibiscus I have a really cool young bougainvailea tree (tree not the vine) and will be putting in a small jasmine I just bought in tomorrow.

Summoner - well that sucks!! But when I tested it in my sink they sprayed just like I do 4 or 5 times a day except the misting isnt as fine.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll post them to give you an idea....must be off to bed for now. I get up at 6am

Lisa

This is my misting system... looks like a mess at the moment..... need to get things cleaner...

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8815.jpg

I dunno if you can see the bucket.... but the tarp catches the water and collects at a low area and drains into a bucket... and you can see the misting nozzle. This is my free range Melleri setup for one of my melleri.

IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

Holy sweet jesus! You are really devoted....I know the Melleri are huge but it looks like he has his own room...all I can say is wow. I was thinking of covering the roots of my plants with some sort of tarp or plastic and angle it to some sort of covered tupperware or sponge and empty at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom