Misting schedule for Veiled? :)

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi everyone. I searched through a lot of the old posts and could not find specifics for a Veiled. I would love to get your feedback as I do not have a mentor :(
I am getting my 4 foot tall dragon strand clearside the end of the month and bought a mist king starter kit for it. I am trying to figure out a misting schedule for my male Veiled Chameleon. Also should I keep the little dripper on the new set up with the mist king? His lights come on at 6am and off at 6pm. So should his first mist be before the lights come on or will this freak him out? He is not fond of the spray from the hand sprayer. Although it is my understanding from what I have read that the mist king produces a very fine mist unlike the spray bottle. Thank you in advance for sharing your valuable time and knowledge!

once when the lights come on once when the lights come off and once or twice in the middle each for at least 2 mins duration is what i do

I have an abundance of foliage in my enclosures and if you set it up properly you can scrap the dripper. After on a set schedule my chams ignored the drippers completely and just drank off the leaves when needed. I live in a very dry climate and a custom built set up with effitient drainage so i like to do a little more/longer missing session to get adequate humidity spikes and drops. I have my lights on a 12/12 cycle from 10 to 10. I set my mistking for 7min at 1030, 3minutes at 1230pm, 3minutes at 430pm 3min at 7 then a 5 minute at 930pm i also have a couple 15 second mists throughout the night to ensure the humidity doesn't drop too low. They don't always drink and their urates are always healthy looking :) just makes sure you set up your plants to catch the water and allow for proper drinking it's what they do in the wild! And make sure you don't grow mold and you'll be good to go!

As for not being Keen to the spray, from my experiences i have noticed that it seems to be instinct for them to kind of hide when it starts to rain then come out after the initial excitement (another reason for longer missing sessions). I always give my guys a place they can hide away from the mister then they come out and shower and drink. See what they like the most and go with what works best for you and your chams!

@Giantspleen Thank you! I am reading info like crazy trying to get his permanent set up perfect. It will be pretty heavily planted I found a very healthy full Pothos with 9 vines that are 5-6 feet long. I have a ficus that will need to grow in a little more along with 2 dwarf umbrellas. I have gotten exo terra jungle vines to run through the entire enclosure because I have had no issue with mold using them. But wood well that was I different story. I got some stuff initially that was grapewood and that started molding within a week so I took it out.

Question with a 2 foot deep enclosure if I place the nozzle of the mister in the front spraying to the back will the mist reach the back? Or should I have a secondary nozzle? Also with the double nozzles do they extend down the same way a single nozzle does? Because my light will be at the top I like how far the single nozzle drops below the screen.

Question with a 2 foot deep enclosure if I place the nozzle of the mister in the front spraying to the back will the mist reach the back? Or should I have a secondary nozzle? Also with the double nozzles do they extend down the same way a single nozzle does? Because my light will be at the top I like how far the single nozzle drops below the screen.

I have 2 foot deep and if i tilt it up it barrreellyyy reaches the back wall which is fine with me because i utilize a feeding tray that is attached to the back wall. I too am considering another nozzle on all of my enlosures because one is fine(ish) but it takes a little more work to get everything the way it should be with one nozzle.

You can buy an extra nozzle and a t valve for like twenty bucks. Your starter kit will come with more than enough tubing to add another nozzle if you want. I believe the pump can run ten nozzles? So if you want total coverage i would definitely get two. One in each front corner. They are the exact same nozzles that come in the starter kit.

You don't need the "double nozzle" i would honestly just suggest getting the t valve with the secondary nozzle on the opposite side.

@Giantspleen Yeah that is what I am thinking as well. I went ahead and set up the Mist king on his enclosure now to get a feel for what it will do and I don't think 1 nozzle will be enough in a two foot deep one. But I am in love with the product! It is by far the best thing ever and Beman actually walks into the mist where before he hated the hand mister and would freak out when I misted.

Yeah man, i wouldnt use anything else at this point. They are great products and worth every penny. Here is a picture of the top of my enclosure how i chained a couple together. Very simple and not really an eye sore

Attachments

• 20190106_104822(1).jpg
    20190106_104822(1).jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 64
Awesome thank you for the pic. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Both top corners facing the back away from the screen side. Very cool thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom