Misting Questions...

Lpsouth1978

Avid Member
So, I am almost ready to get my first chameleon, but I don't yet have a misting system. I am planning on getting a MistKing system, but may not be able to for a few more weeks. I have a hand mister, but I work from 9-5 each day. I can hand mist at about 8am before going to work, and again at about 5:30pm after work. The lights stay on until 8:00pm so there is time for it to dry out before lights out.

Is this acceptable until I can get the misting system? I will also set up a dripper, so there will be water available all day. I can also use a fogger to help keep humidity up during the day if needed.

I want to get my chameleon, but if the above misting schedule is not ok I will wait (though it will be a VERY difficult thing to do).:)

Also how many times, on average, do people mist each day? And for how long? I know there are a lot of factors that play into this, but a general rule of thumb would be great!

You need to get your mist king before your chameleon if you work 9-5 and it will not get misted when your gone. Chameleons drink from moving water so if you are not offering him moving water via mister or a dripper than it will become extremely dehydrated even if you use a fogger. We have a schedule where it goes off every couple hours for about 5 minutes each time and then once in the late afternoon for about 9 minutes.

I have been looking into DIY misting systems and came across some misting nozzles for sprinkler systems. I already have a diaphragm pump that I used with an RO/DI system in the past. I think I will stop and pick up a nozzle or 2 this afternoon and see how they work. If things go well, I may just have a misting system for next to nothing, like $20 with a timer.

I still want to get a mist king system, but this may just work in the meantime.

The positive thing about a mistking in the pump won't run without water
e.g- will not burn up the motor and cost more money in the long run they also have warranties and it supporting a site sponsor is always a bonus!

The positive thing about a mistking in the pump won't run without water- ie won't burn up the motor and cost more money in the long run they also have warranties and it supporting a site sponsor is always a bonus!

The MistKing pump can run dry without damage because it is a diaphragm pump. The same pump is readily available from other sources for less money. I already had a diphragm pump that I used years ago for an RO/DI system for saltwater tanks. I am all for supporting the site sponsors, but being on a tight budget, I am even more for saving money by DIY'ing whatever I can.

I could have spent $200 on a MistKing system and would have if needed, but why would I if I can get a system that works JUST AS WELL for 90% less? If I had to buy a pump I MIGHT have purchased the MistKing system. Doing a DIY misting system is certainly not for everyone nor will it save everyone as much as I did, but MistKing and AquaZamp are not the only viable systems for people and certainly not the cheapest.

MistKing and Aquazamp both have great systems, but I for one will probably never buy a MistKing or AquaZamp system now that I know how to make one on my own. I may even have to do an in depth write up on building one.

I would like to see that write up! I am a big DIY'er and I have been looking into building my own mist system. Where did you get your pump, it is crazy quiet?

I got the pump used from a local fish store a few years ago. It is VERY quiet. The mist coming out the nozzles is far louder. You can get cheap ones on eBay though I don't know how quiet they are. I may try one for my next build. I was looking on eBay and found some better built(metal, not plastic) pumps for anywhere from $30-50. I like the aquatech pumps but they run closer to $100, though they are made in the USA.

I will have to do a build thread in the next couple of weeks. I will try one of the cheap ebay pumps and see how it goes.

To the OP, in my opinion you will be fine without a misting system when you start out. Mist before and after work with a drip system and you should be just fine. Utilize a live plant in your enclosure and that will also help with with the humidity levels.

Keep an eye out for a DIY Misting System thread. I ordered the pump last night and should have it next week. I will work on the thread as soon as I have the pump. I will also post here with a link to the thread.

The MistKing pump can run dry without damage because it is a diaphragm pump. The same pump is readily available from other sources for less money. I already had a diphragm pump that I used years ago for an RO/DI system for saltwater tanks. I am all for supporting the site sponsors, but being on a tight budget, I am even more for saving money by DIY'ing whatever I can.

I could have spent $200 on a MistKing system and would have if needed, but why would I if I can get a system that works JUST AS WELL for 90% less? If I had to buy a pump I MIGHT have purchased the MistKing system. Doing a DIY misting system is certainly not for everyone nor will it save everyone as much as I did, but MistKing and AquaZamp are not the only viable systems for people and certainly not the cheapest.

MistKing and Aquazamp both have great systems, but I for one will probably never buy a MistKing or AquaZamp system now that I know how to make one on my own. I may even have to do an in depth write up on building one.

$200 for a MistKing system? More like $99 for a MistKing. Unless you are using over 10 nozzles there is no need for anything more than the starter system.

I've been using one of these ebay pumps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Volt-DC..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item5d3fd8d967&vxp=mtr It is loud. Thump, thump, thump. Could be partly because I mounted it on top of the reservoir. Besides that it works well, just slight pulsing of the flow through the nozzles.

Let us know if yours is any quieter.

I will let you know. The one I ordered is different than that one, so we will see.

$200 for a MistKing system? More like $99 for a MistKing. Unless you are using over 10 nozzles there is no need for anything more than the starter system.

You are correct, you can get the basic system for $99+ $25 shipping. So if you only need 1 nozzle, it would cost $124. I have a large custom built enclosure and needed 3 nozzles. Once 2 additional nozzles are added the price goes up to $155.

I was originally looking at the ultimate value misting system which comes with three nozzles, the zip drip valve, and several other additions. This system would cost me $216 shipped.

Since I will not be doing a zip drip feature, lets compare the starter package, with 2 additional nozzles, to my DIY system.

Parts needed and cost:

- Diaphragm pump - $30 shipped
- Power transformer - Free, had several old 12v transformers laying around
- 0.8 GPH fogger nozzles - $5
- 10 feet of black 1/4" tube - $5
- 2 x 1/4" John Guest t's - $5
- 4 x 1/4" John Guest elbows - $10
- 2 x 3/8" to 1/4" reducers - $5
- Minute Light timer - $10
- Bucket with lid - $3
- A little ingenuity - PRICELESS:)

So going with my prices locally here in Colorado, I can build a system for a grand total of $68. Or I could choose to buy a comparable system from Mistking for an additional $87. Even if I decided to get a SHURflo pump, which I found online for $70, I would save $47. To me that is a pretty significant savings.

I am not saying that everyone should go out and build their own misting system, But it certainly makes sense for many of us, especially those with enclosures that are more than 2 feet wide.

Where did you get the fogger nozzles?

I built my DIY system because that's what I do with almost everything. I like to experiment. It had little to do with saving money.

The zip drip is a neat idea, but mine only produces about one or two drips when it shuts off. I looked at adding a normally open dump solenoid early on, but a few drips is not a problem since my chameleons will go out of their way to lick the drops off of the nozzle anyway.

I'm curious to see how many nozzles I can run off of my pump. I currently have six, no sweat.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for a DIY Misting System thread.

I was going to do a thread months ago but decided against hurting the forum sponsors. We have two forum sponsors that manufacture misting systems and support employees and families. I figured that they didn't need me to throw a wrench in the works.

I was going to do a thread months ago but decided against hurting the forum sponsors. We have two forum sponsors that manufacture misting systems and support employees and families. I figured that they didn't need me to throw a wrench in the works.

I fully understand the thought, but there are many who would like to know how to build one on their own. I doubt that my little tutorial will adversely effect either MistKing or AquaZamp. The members of this forum represent a VERY small portion of their business.

That being said, my new pump is supposed to be delivered today, so I will be doing a build thread for it sometime this weekend.

I was thinking about the whole DIY thing. But to me, I would just rather pay the 200 for the MistKing system, (Which I did) and have the piece of mind that it will work fine for a long time. Also not to mention, customer service. Which they answered all my random questions.

My 2 Chams love the mistking.

Misting schedules ~ what do you think

:)
UVB LIGHTS ON 07:00 AM 12 HOURS
MIST 07:30 AM 30 SECONDS
BASKING LIGHT ON 08:00 AM 9 HOURS
MIST 08:00 AM 2 MINUTES
FEEDING TIME 08:15 AM 30 MINUTES
MIST 10:00 AM 3 MINUTES
MIST 12:05 PM 4 MINUTES
MIST 02:30 PM 2 MINUTES
MIST 04:00 PM 5 MINUTES
SNACK TIME 04:45 PM 15 MINUTES
BASKING LIGHT OFF 05:00 PM 9 HOURS
MIST 06:00 PM 2 MINUTES
UVB LIGHTS OFF 07:00 PM SLEEPING

FOUR CHAMELEONS
FOUR SPRAYERS
ANY IDEA OR RECCOMMENDATION IS TOTALLY WELCOMED.
ps:
got my system from Marty at MistKing systems
I must say this is the best purchase, besides my chameleons
I've done in a very long time.
***** FIVE STARS TO MiSTkING!

Back
Top Bottom