Misting for hatchlings. Dripper?

aapuzzo

Well It's been over a week and my hatchlings are still alive so they must be eating. I caught a few eating at this point. Now I want to focus on humidity so I will be going bioactive. The question I have is I do not want to flood the enclosure so how much do they really need to be misted. I have noticed the hatchlings will lap up standing water on leaves but do they really need dripping water? I will have a false bottom but I want that just for disasters and protection. I don't want to have to drain the false bottom like with dart frogs if I can avoid it. With my dart frogs if I see it building up I mist less but those are semi sealed enclosures with 80% glass tops.

Is the most important thing providing beads of water a few times a day with the correct humidity levels or do they truly need the moving water. At this age I think a dripper would just knock them off a leaf and would add way to much water to a tank without hole drilled in the glass if I just let it run non stop. I could add a humidifier attached to a hydrometer that I use for incubating chicken eggs,

Does the same really apply to adults. Do they really need a dripper? I want to minimize the runoff that gets through the potted plants or substrate layer.

Hand misting would flood the cage if I did these 2 minutes of misting but I remember years ago with a misting system much less water would come out and a finer spray so maybe thats how people get away with misting so long. A pump mister would empty the gallon bottle after 2 minutes. 15 seconds is enough but they won't drink that fast with me standing there doing the spraying.

I’ve been able to reduce my excess water with switching to the naturalistic hydration, so 100% humidity at night with my fogger/humidifier has given her all the hydration she needs. I fine mist spray just enough to wet the leaves at lights out and before lights on and I removed the dripper. Her urates are well hydrated and my plants stopped getting root rot. The Chameleon Academy and CaskAbove has more information on this too. 😊

I’ve been able to reduce my excess water with switching to the naturalistic hydration, so 100% humidity at night with my fogger/humidifier has given her all the hydration she needs. I fine mist spray just enough to wet the leaves at lights out and before lights on and I removed the dripper. Her urates are well hydrated and my plants stopped getting root rot. The Chameleon Academy and CaskAbove has more information on this too. 😊

Thanks that is what I thought just wanted to make sure. I hate drippers because a leaf moves and the collection bin stops catching anything. Also you get splatters in larger setups especially when the collection container is empty.

I will run the dripper occasionally just to see if she wants to “shower”, which she did once a week during the month she was shedding. But overall she doesn’t even go near the area while it’s on. My plants are much happier without all that excess water, except of course the pothos because that guy is always happy 😆

Back
Top Bottom