Misters

My panther chameleons viv drops to 55% humidity and rises to around 80 after misting, I've recently read that it should constantly be around 70-80 (with the correct ventilation).
I'm worried tht I'm not misting him enough because he hasn't shed yet and shows no signs of it soon (I got him on the 29th June, he's 6-8 months old). When I'm misting in just coating the plants for maybe a minute?
Could anyone suggest a decent mister that's not too pricey or know of a previous thread that does so? He has a dripper in there too but I've never seen him use it!

The humidity levels you're getting sound to be right. You definitely don't want to maintain those high levels constantly, as it puts your cham at risk of an upper respiratory infection, among other things. You want to have dips and spikes in humidity throughout the day.

A lot of times you will never see your cham drink. How are his urates? If they're white, he's getting adequate water and shouldn't cause worry. If you're concerned about your misting and want to invest in an automatic mister, then Mistking is the way to go. They have the starter mister system set at $99USD plus shipping. They're one of our site sponsors so I suggest you look into them. They're the best!

I did think that about the humidity and upper RIs!
His urates are as white as could be, when I first put him in his viv after picking him up he drank a lot in front of me but since then I've only seen him occasionally lick the vine he's walking on, I understand that sometimes they're shy about drinking with watchful eyes!
Thanks for giving me peace of mind, I really appreciate it. I'll invest in a mistking if I do decide to go down the automated misting route!

Even with a mistaking you need to check on your system a couple times a week. I have a new start setup (about a month old) and was in my room when the mister went off and it just trickeled out my rain attachment. I turned the valve to wide open and still just a trickle. I knocked on the pump and it kicked on like it should. I use RO water so its not build up and ran the pump for 10+ mins when I hot it to make sure it was clean. Just a heads up to watch your system and check on it once in a while.

So what do you guys think the proper humidity level for a veiled chameleon would be? Between 50-80% is what I've read in numerous care guides, but others say keep it arid, which doesn't make sense because then they'd never drink.

So what do you guys think the proper humidity level for a veiled chameleon would be? Between 50-80% is what I've read in numerous care guides, but others say keep it arid, which doesn't make sense because then they'd never drink.

I don't have experience with veileds, but 80% seems high. I'd say more like 60-70%? Hopefully someone else will chime in. Veileds are from the middle east, and you can guess how humid it is there!

Back
Top Bottom