Mister Twister has a bit of the wobblies! HELP!

Oh, poor Trouper! And, you too! It just seemed like he must have injured himself. I'm so sorry. Maybe with a little time the swelling will go down and he'll get some movement back.

Looking GOOD!!

Night went well. Keeping temp at 70 through the night. And he slept well through the night.

Woke up this am alert and took a good long drink when offered. Had to force his med-bug (Metacam) though.

Mid-morn: Gobbled down three large mealworms when offered. (No interest in crix or dubia) and drank a few more drips of water.

Trying to move around a bit and is now gripping with both back feet!!! Still not using the left hind leg at all but did grab leaf with foot when it touched inside his mitten! And curls and uncurls his tail and moves his right hind leg a little and reaches and grips with right hind foot!

I am trying not to get my hopes up too high but can't help it when the doc said we will give him time to see if he wants to live through this episode and we will re-evaluate quality of life, etc. in two weeks (if Trooper makes it that far).

I have no doubt you will do everything you can for him. You already have!! I understand you being guarded as to how things will turn out. Just keep doing all you can to keep him healthy and comfortable. You are the best thing that ever happened to this guy.

It sounds like the swelling is going down...any movement/strength in the rear is a good sign at this stage. It seems like your vet really understands Trouper.

Still being the Trooper

Still waiting for poo. I am really hoping that his bowel will function properly. It would be such a bummer if that is why I have to lose him...

Twister is still being a Trooper! Tail use has improved. He can use his right leg quite a bit now too. Sometimes he will grip a leaf or something with his left foot too but hasn't moved the leg much at all (maybe that one hurts more to move). He is still eating and drinking. And he wants to be warmer than usual. I put his heat emitter over his bin and he gets as close to it as he can so during the day I put on his heat-glo light too (brings the temp up around 95 to 100 and he seems to love it and, yes, he can move away to where it is cooler but hasn't chosen to yet.

Overall, he is doing better than I am. I am so much more emotional this time and just don't understand how he can go through all this. I am exhausted and worry that I am making him suffer needlessly. I just keep trying to remember that even the vet said to let Trooper Twister make the call and take things day by day...

Keeping him warm is probably a very good thing. It will help him heal. You might need to watch the hydration a bit more because of it, but it's worth it.

Is there any way you can get him out in the sun? That often stimulates pooping.

Thanks for the reminders. Sunshine and hydration have been the keys to his making it through all he has been through...

Had him in the sun yesterday for a bit. It is raining today (gotta love the Pacific Northwest).

He's the one that decided he wanted it so warm but he can still get away to where it is only about 75F and hasn't even tried to.

I am checking on him constantly and I drip water on his nose every couple of hours and offer him a bit of food each time too. He makes it pretty obvious when he wants me to just leave him alone and gets "huffy" (kind of like a snort or abrupt exhale) when he doesn't want to be bothered as soon as he sees me playing with the water hose or moving in with the feed bowl... LOL.

On the other hand, if he does want attention, he will start moving up on the stick that is in with him and will reach out for me to take him out. I try not to encourage that though cuz I'm afraid it will hurt him but I think he really wants a snuggle. He hasn't been against my neck since he broke.

x-rays from 4-2012

I posted pics of his x-rays in a new thread so didn't think I should post them here too... But they are in my photo album as well.

I couldn't make heads or tails out of the x-rays...hopefully someone with experience reading them will take a look.

How is "poop watch 2012" going?

I like that: "Poop watch 2012". Good one!

Still no poop. Got an answer from Dr. Dan though. He said because of the location of the break, there could be "elimination problems". DAMMIT! Anyway, I will give him a bit of pear baby food for a couple of days. That has always solved the problem before and if it doesn;t , then back to the vet. If Trooper is still in this for the long haul, doc will give him an enema first part of next week and then see how it goes from there.

On the good news side though, he used his left leg today!! He reached out and grabbed hold of a vine. Only problem was, he forgot to let go and got stuck and was mad cuz he couldn't pull himself any farther forward! I was watching so I stopped him before he could really pull very hard against that leg. It takes constant supervision when he is on the special window platform I made but I just can't stand seeing him cooped up in the hospital bin all day.

Hey, healing is never linear....that he used his left leg is huge. That it got stuck is not.

I do think you should trust him. While he'll happily hide illness and injury from you, I don't think he'll injure himself more deliberately. So, I wouldn't be so quick to intervene when he's trying stuff....as long as there's not a huge fall danger, let him try. He needs to use and build up those muscles to compensate for the injury he's suffered.

I'm glad you have him in the window platform....I'm sure it's part of why he's so willing to keep fighting.

The fight goes on!

Still nothing in "poop watch 2012" but this is only day two of pears. What is the best next step in trying to avoid having to resort to an enema?

We finally got a few butter worms and he has shown no interest in them (the brat!) so he still will only eat large mealies, waxies and an occasional superworm but is still eating and drinking.

I have been handling him as little as possible for fear of hurting him but he kept trying to climb up me and looking up at his "snuggle spot" so I gave in last night and held him for a couple of hours.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom