Mister system

Species type? Typically you will mist morning and evening when cage temps are cooler. Anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Allowing the cage to dry out during the day. Provide a dripper during the day so the cham can drink if needed.

It also depends on your ambient humidity conditions too I started with a basic bill strand advice for the misting cycle but adjusted due to my higher ambient humidity

It also depends on your ambient humidity conditions too I started with a basic bill strand advice for the misting cycle but adjusted due to my higher ambient humidity
Normally even in high ambient humidity morning and evening is perfectly fine but adjusting how long can be important. In a high humidity environment a morning misting may need to be shorter or done earlier to accommodate a spike in humidity. But a spike is ok. A consistent high can bring issues if your cage is not drying out or there is not enough air circulation. Everything becomes a balancing act based on the ambient conditions and enclosure type used.

Normally even in high ambient humidity morning and evening is perfectly fine but adjusting how long can be important. In a high humidity environment a morning misting may need to be shorter or done earlier to accommodate a spike in humidity. But a spike is ok. A consistent high can bring issues if your cage is not drying out or there is not enough air circulation. Everything becomes a balancing act based on the ambient conditions and enclosure type used.
I have a veiled chameleon. I’m guessing you’d set it more during the night?

Hi so there is no one size fits all
In the beginning I just hand misted then I got a exoterra monsoon with this I misted 2 minutes 3 times a day which I was getting my humidity right but I just got a new system which on the same schedule is creating way to high humidity. One thing I could recommend is monitoring the temp and humidity in your room your enclosure is in. As mentioned trial and error but making sure there is good air flow. Try running your mister b4 lights on and after lights off and a dripper during the day also using a govee mini wireless can/ could also help determine the best duration and timing

Hi so there is no one size fits all
In the beginning I just hand misted then I got a exoterra monsoon with this I misted 2 minutes 3 times a day which I was getting my humidity right but I just got a new system which on the same schedule is creating way to high humidity. One thing I could recommend is monitoring the temp and humidity in your room your enclosure is in. As mentioned trial and error but making sure there is good air flow. Try running your mister b4 lights on and after lights off and a dripper during the day also using a govee mini wireless can/ could also help determine the best duration and timing
I absolutely love the exoterra monsoon it’s no mistking but with a smart timer it does the job for me!

Yes I should’ve clarified that’s what I meant to say it probably has to do with the fact my reptiles are all in the basement and everyone knows how humid those get!

If it works for you happy days I put mistking nozzel on my monsoon but it really didn't have enough pressure for the nozzel I just changed to a habistat pro

I just got a good mister and I was wondering how long/often it should run. Every half hour? Every few hours?
Misting is to establish/raise humidity to provide sufficient hydration and humidity levels for the particular species.

Veiled Chameleon humidity is recommended. From: https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
Humidity
Day time 30% - 50% RH Ensure that branches and surfaces dry daily
Night time 80% to 100% RH Provide air movement to avoid stagnant air

You'll need at least one (but [preferably a couple/few) digital hygrometers with probes.
I use these, but there are many, many more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your humidities are in line with the recommendations, you only need to mist once at lights-on and again at light-off to provide sufficient drinking water. Some opt for a midday drink as well.

To establish duration & frequency of misting.
  1. Run the mister manually until water begins to run down the drain; misting any longer just wastes water.
  2. Time how long it takes for the enclosure to completely dry out from #1 above.
For instance, my enclosure (male panther) takes 2 min. to become saturated, and 3 hours to dry out completely. So all my misting sessions are 2 min. duration. Panthers have higher daytime humidity requirements than Veileds, so I mist at lights-on, noon, lights-off, and every 3 hours between lights-off & lights-on.

Your schedule may vary quite a bit, depending on several variables, but you need to know the humidities you're working with (hence the digital hygrometers with probes).

Back
Top Bottom