Missus got her tank! :)

Oh Joy... He's a "morning person." :rolleyes:

Right from the get-go, his day ends at 1-2 pm. He does all his tortoise stuff before that, then takes a leisurely stroll into his warm damp hide and sleeps until next morning.

For the past week or two, he's been waking up & getting active before lights-on—when it's still dark!

The little dozer is growing—his shell is beginning to 'dome' more.

We're both flabbergasted at how much this little guy can put away and 💩; he must fill up that whole shell with one, the other, or both (or so it seems). o_O

lol So funny! I was talking to the wife about how much our tort eats and poops-- just the other day..
Poops more than a small dog.
Glad your enjoying the growth process..
Ya'll enjoy and thanks for the update.
Rascal found a great place to hibernate so we will let him do his thing..

He did the finding and digging himself.. I almost gave the plant away last month..

Attachments

• PXL_20211010_211344577.jpg
    PXL_20211010_211344577.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20211003_211457448.jpg
    PXL_20211003_211457448.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20211003_211453202.jpg
    PXL_20211003_211453202.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 79
lol So funny! I was talking to the wife about how much our tort eats and poops-- just the other day..
Poops more than a small dog.
Glad your enjoying the growth process..
Ya'll enjoy and thanks for the update.
Rascal found a great place to hibernate so we will let him do his thing..

He did the finding and digging himself.. I almost gave the plant away last month..
I take it he's outside then(?)

Ol' Mitch is strictly an indoor denizen, so we're hoping to avoid any dormancies.
Some on a certain tortoise forum tried to give her some guff about it, but considering his size & species, he's got all the space he'll ever need.

1635784731777.png

That's his main hide at the top. He has a couple more auxiliary hides, but rarely uses them.

1635784839149.png

Every plant in his enclosure is triple-checked safe for him to munch, plus...

1635785198902.png

Missus found some seeds online called, 'Testudo Mix'.
A blend of 24 broadleaf plants and clovers. This is a great mix for the Mediterranean tortoises (Russians, Greeks, Hermanns, etc) or those species that just don't care for grasses. This mix has no grasses in it, and does well in warmer climates without a huge amount of irrigation (similar to the conditions most Testudo experience in the wild).
She always has 3 flats (take-out lids, like above) growing, so there's always one growing, one in the enclosure, and... I forget. The lids are half-buried so they're flush with ground level.
The flower pot is another aux. hide; it's half full of damp sphagnum.

He tore through one of the flats the other day flattening everything, but eating none. Missus picked what was left and put it on his basking/eating tile, and he ate every single morsel. Go figure.

He sometimes hides under the ginormous prayer plant. It was modest when she put it in there, but it REALLY likes the Sansi lights! :D (So does the Tradescantia zebrina; it keeps sending climbers up past the lights).

Awww, I love turtles and tortoises! @Klyde O'Scope we need pictures of your tortoise to!
We're trying to get a close-up of his little face, but it's so tiny it's hard to see. We need to set up a tripod and get a macro...

Last edited:
Proportionally, it's so big we keep losing him in it. :eek:
Sometimes he just digs himself in and (literally) buries himself completely.
IDK how the heck he gets any air, but he does.

"1988 vw fox "4,165 mm (164.0 in), a width of 1,655 mm (65.2 in)" So--- I did have more room..
13'X 5'---- Not Jealous anymore.. :) Thanks and have a great one--- always a pleasure.

"1988 vw fox "4,165 mm (164.0 in), a width of 1,655 mm (65.2 in)" So--- I did have more room..
13'X 5'---- Not Jealous anymore.. :) Thanks and have a great one--- always a pleasure.

I feel that. After college, I went on a job hunt, and lived in/out of a 1976 Datsun (pre-Nissan) B-210 hatchback. Outside length: 4120 mm / 162.2 in, width: 1544 mm / 60.8 in.
13' X 5'

Likewise. :)

Last edited:
Mitch's enclosure went through some changes. Some of the plants did so well under the Sansi lights that they had to be cut back severely. Some of the pots were holding too much water, so Missus came up with a pot+liner combination that seems to be working much better. Some landscaping was also done. Mitch was very curious about the whole thing, and spent a couple days exploring the changes.

We didn't mess with his hide, so not sure why he did this... He spent most of yesterday and all night inside one of the pots.

1637258208425.jpeg

1637258250475.jpeg

He came out later this morning.

1637258270727.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom