Missing spot on spine

Daydreamer2

Hello! I am watching a chameleon. I dont have a vet appointment until 1/28. I was wondering if someone could help give me advice and what to do for them until then.
thank you!

Attachments

• 5E568C02-2921-465D-A124-356D0B3080A2.jpeg
    5E568C02-2921-465D-A124-356D0B3080A2.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 78AF982C-58FB-4A1B-B398-40E5E358FEB4.jpeg
    78AF982C-58FB-4A1B-B398-40E5E358FEB4.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 82
Hello! I am watching a chameleon. I dont have a vet appointment until 1/28. I was wondering if someone could help give me advice and what to do for them until then.
thank you!
You need a reptile vet now. That is urgent. More then likely an issue of temps being far too hot and it was a thermal burn. But that is extremely deep right on the spine. It can not wait to be treated. It would be very very painful for the chameleon. And is high risk for becoming infected.

Whomever owns this chameleon needs to have a total husbandry review. It is very thin and has damage to the spines further up as well. Guessing the enclosure needs some serious changes.

You need a reptile vet now. That is urgent. More then likely an issue of temps being far too hot and it was a thermal burn. But that is extremely deep right on the spine. It can not wait to be treated. It would be very very painful for the chameleon. And is high risk for becoming infected.

Whomever owns this chameleon needs to have a total husbandry review. It is very thin and has damage to the spines further up as well. Guessing the enclosure needs some serious changes.

thank you so much
I was able to push for the vet, the best i could get was the 21st.
Would you have an advice on how to make him more comfortable or what to do until then?

thank you so much
I was able to push for the vet, the best i could get was the 21st.
Would you have an advice on how to make him more comfortable or what to do until then?
Honestly if it were my cham the 21st would be a no go. This is considered urgent. If you call and say you have an urgent situation where due to a themal burn there is a chunk missing from his back down to his spine and you need to get him in today they will make room. It may cost more but honestly this would be like if you had a 7 inch gash in your leg totally open to the bone. Or if your dog got hit by a car. Not something that you wait on situation.

I would not suggest putting anything on that unless it is from the vet. Due to it being deep into the tissue and down to the bone. It is no longer topical for what we would use for a minor thermal burn while waiting to get into a vet for the correct cream.

If you want to try to make sure the enclosure is set up so he won't get another thermal burn you could post pics of the enclosure so we know what they stuck him in.

Honestly if it were my cham the 21st would be a no go. This is considered urgent. If you call and say you have an urgent situation where due to a themal burn there is a chunk missing from his back down to his spine and you need to get him in today they will make room. It may cost more but honestly this would be like if you had a 7 inch gash in your leg totally open to the bone. Or if your dog got hit by a car. Not something that you wait on situation.

I would not suggest putting anything on that unless it is from the vet. Due to it being deep into the tissue and down to the bone. It is no longer topical for what we would use for a minor thermal burn while waiting to get into a vet for the correct cream.

If you want to try to make sure the enclosure is set up so he won't get another thermal burn you could post pics of the enclosure so we know what they stuck him in.
I am in the process now of getting him an appointment asap.
Thank you for all the help and concern. I have been very worried

Attachments

• F852A223-8F28-4C4A-8DCD-CEA5AF52F354.jpeg
    F852A223-8F28-4C4A-8DCD-CEA5AF52F354.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 72
I am in the process now of getting him an appointment asap.
Thank you for all the help and concern. I have been very worried
Uggg ok so everything is wrong with this set up. You said you were just watching him? How long will you be taking care of him or is he basically yours now?

This is the husbandry program I would recommend reading through... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Per the enclosure... Can you tell me if there is only the dual dome lamp on top? I am not seeing the correct UVB lighting, no live plants, they don't drink from a water dish, Temp probe should be on the basking branch below the heat fixture... Can you tell me what wattage bulbs are in that double dome?

Uggg ok so everything is wrong with this set up. You said you were just watching him? How long will you be taking care of him or is he basically yours now?

This is the husbandry program I would recommend reading through... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Per the enclosure... Can you tell me if there is only the dual dome lamp on top? I am not seeing the correct UVB lighting, no live plants, they don't drink from a water dish, Temp probe should be on the basking branch below the heat fixture... Can you tell me what wattage bulbs are in that double dome?

ty for the information, i shall start reading up and pass the information along to the owner
they are not mine, only watching for a short time. They will be taking back the Chamaeleon within the month.
there is only the double dome with a 50watt white and a 10uvb i think.

i will look into getting a live plant.

ty for the information, i shall start reading up and pass the information along to the owner
they are not mine, only watching for a short time. They will be taking back the Chamaeleon within the month.
there is only the double dome with a 50watt white and a 10uvb i think.

i will look into getting a live plant.
So unfortunately that UVB bulb is a compact bulb and it is not suitable for chams because the output on it is very shallow. If the correct UVB is not obtained the cham will develop Metabolic Bone Disease. It is a horrible deforming disease that is 100% preventable.

Double check the wattage on the heat bulb. It should be no stronger then a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb. Get a spray bottle. And start misting the plants morning and evening. they drink from water on leaves. Make sure there are no lights on at night.

Here is a link for plants.. Choose a veiled tested plant. cover the top of the soil with 1 inch or larger rock so the cham does not eat the soil. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Let the owner know that if they do not make changes the chameleon will most certainly die. Not trying to be rude but honest. Good luck to you.

Thank thank you! I may be able to get him to the vet on Saturday the earilest
I will do everything i can to save his life and make it 10x better
I will be to talking to his owner

you have gone above and beyond to help me and I really appreciate it. Thank you again <3

Thank thank you! I may be able to get him to the vet on Saturday the earilest
I will do everything i can to save his life and make it 10x better
I will be to talking to his owner

you have gone above and beyond to help me and I really appreciate it. Thank you again <3
Your welcome hun. Let us know if you need clarification on anything you read in the husbandry link I gave you. That site is 100% accurate info.

Back
Top Bottom