Missing spines?

Sambava sunshine

Hi, just wondering if Bobs my sambava back is normal? Since I bought him he has had a back like this, it just looks like he’s missing a few spines on his upper back, any ideas?

Attachments

• 36FEFE09-F9E6-4D25-A817-4ED2656D0A67.jpeg
    36FEFE09-F9E6-4D25-A817-4ED2656D0A67.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 620F19A4-027B-4EF4-AB82-463D7E2B15FF.jpeg
    620F19A4-027B-4EF4-AB82-463D7E2B15FF.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 146
Definitely missing some spines, could be anything from a burn to a bad fall.

I see his eyes are closed, that’s a warning that something is wrong. It’s in his best interest to get your husbandry reviewed.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

Definitely missing some spines, could be anything from a burn to a bad fall.

I see his eyes are closed, that’s a warning that something is wrong. It’s in his best interest to get your husbandry reviewed.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

He was asleep in the picture! That’s why his eyes were closed, thank you for your reply

Compact uv bulbs don't work, you will see progressive health problems, each one a month or 2 apart,eventually he will die, the synthetic paneling in there might be emitting a chemical with low ventilation that might also cause a problem, can you post a picture of your setup please?

He was asleep in the picture! That’s why his eyes were closed, thank you for your reply
I know that, that’s the problem. Chams are low on the feed chain and should never close their eyes or sleep during the day. Any prey animal napping out in the open durning the day isn’t going to last very long. Eyes closed is a warning flag that his systems are shutting down.

He needs a vet and full husbandry review. Anything less is a death sentence from you.

I know that, that’s the problem. Chams are low on the feed chain and should never close their eyes or sleep during the day. Any prey animal napping out in the open durning the day isn’t going to last very long. Eyes closed is a warning flag that his systems are shutting down.

He needs a vet and full husbandry review. Anything less is a death sentence from you.

Please forgive the photo of him closing his eyes during the day! He had just gone to sleep five minutes before his light goes off, he gets the right amount of day light hours and the right amount of night time hours with the light off, it was only to take the photo! Sorry I asked, only asked about the spines! He keeps his eyes open all day! Crikey!

Please forgive the photo of him closing his eyes during the day! He had just gone to sleep five minutes before his light goes off, he gets the right amount of day light hours and the right amount of night time hours with the light off, it was only to take the photo! Sorry I asked, only asked about the spines! He keeps his eyes open all day! Crikey!

Chill, people are only trying to help you. (y)

If you filled out the ask for help form properly, people wouldn’t have to assume anything. Good luck and welcome to the forums

Sorry didn’t think I needed to when asking about something before I got him, will know for future thank you, I didnt understand why I needed to tell you all about his entire set up when I just asked about his spines to then be eaten alive, I felt a bit like one of Bobs locusts!

Sorry didn’t think I needed to when asking about something before I got him, will know for future thank you, I didnt understand why I needed to tell you all about his entire set up when I just asked about his spines to then be eaten alive, I felt a bit like one of Bobs locusts!

Sorry if I offended you I did not mean to. I don’t think it was the spine that triggered the form fill out request. It was the fact he had his eyes closed with the light on still. Try to take Critisism as best as you can around here, and take it positively! I did, and ended up purchasing and entire new setup lol.. Brody was just trying to help you avoid future issues I’m sure.

Its nothing personal towards you. We often see new owners posting here for advice and notice things that could be signs of a bigger issue. Sleeping with lights on is usually one that new owners over look. The help form is just an easy way for us to get some detailed background on the chameleon and often holds a small detail or two that answers the owners concern.

He looks healthy in my opinion and if you say he only just fell asleep in that photo then he should be fine but I would still keep note of how long before lights out he closed his eyes.

For the missing spines, there are several causes. Old burns that have healed, injury, etc... Do you let feeders loose in the cage? If so, its possible a cricket or roach could've chewed them up.

Sorry if I missed this point, but was this cham wild caught import or captive bred? If WC the spines could well have been broken off in the wild or during capture or shipment. If CB, The missing spines could be genetic or due to some mishap with the original breeder. In this case can you ask the breeder you got it from about it?
Very beautiful colors on your Sambava boy there.

good point that @Ekona made. also we're not trying to personally come after you, we just want to help lol. your boy is very beautiful btw

@Ekona thank you for the information

Back
Top Bottom