Misinformation

Lizardlover

It seems like lately there has been a lot of bad info given out in threads, I'd just like to give a reminder to PLEASE check your info before posting.

Agreed. Seems like there are lots of new members answering most of the questions instead of old timers. There are a lot of old timers that have recently dropped off the map...probably tired of answering the same questions over and over and over. Not that new members shouldn't be able to answer, just that they tend to repeat things they've heard, right or wrong, rather than speak from experience. The good old game of word vomit without knowing the reasons behind it...

That's a good idea, if people would actually read them. If nothing else it would make it easier to answer the same old questions when we could just post the link. I wish there was just a simple, consolidated caresheet for the main species on the front page for people to reference. I have to suggest websites to owners all the time for care info and while I always want to recommend chameleonforums the truth is that simple information is actually difficult to find here because you have to search the threads, which are never labeled very usefully. And let's face it, your average petsmart chameleon shopper isn't going to care enough to go and actively search for information unless it's right there. It's only useful for the real chameleon lovers sadly.

this has been said and talked/argued/discussed/reviewed/interepreted/and cycled

many many times

it happens, it needs change, yes i agree, Brad agrees too but it takes alot of time and effort

if anyone is willing to give the time and computer savvy

Pm Brad, he is planning to change the forum "look" but still along way to go

I know it has. It's one of the ongoing problems of forums. They're never set up for people who aren't regular forum users. I don't think a complete remake is necessary, just a box between the photo contest and the forum threads with simple caresheets would be wonderful - just the general consensus of successful hobbyists (the stuff we preach every day), with a statement saying such. Or even fleshing out the "Resources" tab at all would be a fantastic start. The info could be there for easy access - it was the first place I looked when I joined and I was very disappointed that there was basically nothing there. I don't think it would take very long to do a few basic things with the resources tab (add temps, humidity ranges, etc.).

Yes, I have mentioned all these things on the "development forums" and offered to help. It's a big task...

Something that might help is a basic reference for new members. It could potentially curb the spread of basic misinformation and raise the bar for forum discussions. One of the two projects the site is currently working on is a similar resource. Its goal is to provide a basic foundation for new keepers. Progress has been a little slow and we can always use help if anyone is interested.

new-owner-resource-development

I agree. I gave up a long time ago. I just pop in from time to time to ask a question or to post pics, but have answered shed questions and poop questions until my fingers just won't go there any more.

Yep, I finally got sick of answering those questions too. It's a shame that a lot of the regulars have, but it's tiresome and I don't blame them at all!

Brad - Once again, I would love to help in any way I can, even if it's just plugging and chugging data in! I have references I can cite to give it credibility and everything. Just let me know if there's something I can do to help out.

Very true everyone. I know I'm kind of new to the forums but very experienced when it comes to pygmies and some dwarfs. Still kinda new to panthers. I think although a lot of the threads are repetitive, its always going to be like that. I think a basic info sheet for specific chams would be a great help, which btw, I could write up for bearded pygmies, pitted pygmies, and Rudis, but people will continue to ask even with these sheets as I have realized that in most forums people just like hearing from someone in person instead of reading sheets. That's just my personal opinion. Well, Im available to help if needed.

Hello all-
Well I will be the first to admit that as a new member, I posted threads that I could have easily gotten answers for if I used the search function. Although people told me to use the search, I wanted my own answers. Now though, like BocaJan and Ferrit said, it gets repetitive. Although it does get repetitive, I think every member has the right to getting an answer to their question. The attitude of feeling like not doing so many because it's repetitive is the reason incorrect information is distributed among the newer members. I think as the senior members, who have the experience an have put their efforts into their critters think we should be willing to help the new guys so they not only feel welcome, but like they have a place they can go to for answers. Jmo

LPR08

I believe it's human nature to want to be part of a community especially cool ones like chameleon forums, I'm also positive new members don't purposely give incorrect information.

I read alot of Senior members complain about new members giving regurgitated information, or asking the same questions and not using the search function, heck I also hear complaints about members posting to many picture threads. So how are new members going to be or feel part of a community if they are bashed for posting?

Why not politely correct wrong information, this way new members learn and the OP gets the help they need.

We were all new to chameleon keeping once upon a time, it's a learned skill not something we are born with.

I believe it's human nature to want to be part of a community especially cool ones like chameleon forums, I'm also positive new members don't purposely give incorrect information.

I read alot of Senior members complain about new members giving regurgitated information, or asking the same questions and not using the search function, heck I also hear complaints about members posting to many picture threads. So how are new members going to be or feel part of a community if they are bashed for posting?

Why not politely correct wrong information, this way new members learn and the OP gets the help they need.

We were all new to chameleon keeping once upon a time, it's a learned skill not something we are born with.

I think that Jessica puts it very well. While I am new and do not want to post bad information. I certainly dont mind being called out (politely). I know that the same posted question day in or day out sucks and that the search function works to find the answer to a question but sometime when you have a problem or are seeking to answer a question the details are sometimes different and hard to be sure you are acting correctly.

The best thing to remember is that new or old the person who is trying to learn is only trying to make sure their cham has the best life possible. :rolleyes:

One thing to keep in mind when frequenting the forum.. this one or any other.. is that just because a person is new to that particular forum, they may not be new to reptiles.. chameleons.. specific species of chameleons.. or forums, in general.

I've only been here a few months and I've seen threads with incorrect information in them, repeatedly. The sad thing is, "senior members" are behind some of them. The implication behind the number of posts (which is how the member rank is achieved, apparently) a member has being the level of experience in that individual is VERY misleading. Some people just like to type.. just like others just like to hear themselves talk... and that doesn't have any bearing on the output's value.

Personally, I have a lot of experience with reptiles in general, and chameleons on an intermediate level (I've successfully kept a few species), but the atmosphere here is pretty abrasive and I rarely comment on any of the threads. I use the search function as best I can and I ask questions that I can't find answers to, elsewhere.

Last edited:
The other side of the coin is the consumer's ability to distinguish between valid information and verbal jetsam. I'm afraid "poorly supported" information is an unavoidable by-product of an open system. I teach my younger students to not believe anything until they have cross referenced for accuracy. Even the term "IMHO" is somewhat meaningless without rigorous review and well supported debate. A huge problem is the emotional/developmental immaturity of the average person (which is separate from age and intelligence) which causes individuals to overreact, take personally, attack personally, be rude or inappropriate. One can see it in politics as well as forums. This makes it impossible to deal with differences or proceed rationally to a "fact". If we are actually a rational species (I have my doubts), then we should be able to exhaustively debate different views respectfully. This is, ideally, how knowledge/wisdom advances.

Some questions may be repetative to a person who has been here awhile, but that doesnt make the questions any less valid. The person asking is asking for a reason, and that reason is not just to annoy the rest of us. It takes awhile before people get the idea of the Search function, and begin to trust it. It takes awhile for people to decide which members advice they trust, and which people they disagree with.

We were ALL new to this once.

Patience.

If you see a post that you feel contains incorrect information, make your own reply with what you feel is the accurate information, and politely explain why you feel the other post was off.

The sad thing is, "senior members" are behind some of them. The implication behind the number of posts (which is how the member rank is achieved, apparently) a member has being the level of experience in that individual is VERY misleading.

Anyone can make mistakes.
Those little green "Ranking" icons are a result of receiving reputation points, not just "time in".

And just occassionally, remember that the person you think is wrong may actually be right.

Jessica said..."I also hear complaints about members posting to many picture threads. So how are new members going to be or feel part of a community if they are bashed for posting?"....I have requested once in a while that people not start more threads...but its when its about the same problem they are having with the same chameleon. It makes it hard to follow what all has been going on with the chameleon and its problem when I try to answer...so I might not get the whole picture and not give a good answer.

Although I get very tired sometimes of answering the same question(s) I keep on doing it because I want the person's chameleon to do well for them. If there is misinformation (or maybe I should say, what I think is misinformation I try to give the information that I think is right and why I think its right too.

I guess all we can do is the best we can! Its really a pretty good forum we have here!

Back
Top Bottom