Millipedes!

cordonwade

Member
Does anyone here have experience using millipedes in their cham enclosures to help control detritus? I've thought about putting them in my large schefflera pots which are in the center of my T.J.J enclosures to help eat detritus and aerate the soil. Obviously most have a level of toxicity, but since they stay subsurface mostly would it be fine? If anyone has experience with it let me know!
 

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I always mix up milipedes and centipedes - one of them is toxic but cant remember which. i have tiny ones in my enclosures that sneak in on plants. They do a good job cleaning up.

@jamest0o0 uses them too and would know which one is which!
 

cordonwade

Member
I always mix up milipedes and centipedes - one of them is toxic but cant remember which. i have tiny ones in my enclosures that sneak in on plants. They do a good job cleaning up.

@jamest0o0 uses them too and would know which one is which!
From my understanding, centipedes are mostly predatory, and are venomous as well. But I think millipedes, although not venomous, can potentially release toxic substances from their bodies? I know it's rare, but my only worry is that my cham takes a shot at one and gets something on its tongue haha
 

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I had a lot of those flower pot millipedes(not sure which species). And some random others in my enclosure. They were among the best cleaners. Millipedes usually have some sort of defensive taste or toxin, but the ones I used were small and harmless. They just gave off a bad smell/taste if attacked. Most would just get spit out if eaten and aren't a huge threat, but some species produce cyanide and other poisons, but I don't believe they are commonly found in flower pots. My cham never ate them though.

Centipedes are the venomous predators, even had some in my enclosure, figured they helped keep a balance. Of course not the large ones lol.
 
Top Bottom