Million Dollar Idea!!!

Dubia

I was terrified of "Roaches" when I first decided to switch because the Crickets were driving me crazy, they are stinky and just gross. I had beardies and they ate a lot. A friend of mine told me they really weren't roaches they were papaya beetles. I Googled it and they are called that so I thought what the heck.

He gave me some to trial and they don't look anything like a "roach" you see in houses. They look like rolly polly's when they are little. I came to love feeding them.

They don't smell, they are silent, live way longer and are so easy to breed and keep.

You won't regret it if you give the papaya beetles a try. :D

wheres the love

Attachments

• 0JR_0478.jpg
    0JR_0478.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 113
the large ones still freak me out,but the small ones as someone already said do look like rolly polly's so im ok with small ones..adults i use reptile tongs...

you should try them- I also was so un-nerved by even the thought of them in my house :eek: I was even told they jump in your face, and run in your mouth from the guy i got them from ( a big fat LIE ) - I still would not want one lose in my house, but now, I also enjoy feeding & watching them, the males do a funny wing dance for the girls- lol and they have no sound, no smell, and if you need to give oral meds and such, they are perfect for that - I will only ever have pinhead cirx on a "as needed" basis for babies = once you go roach, you will NEVER go back to crix :D

I just ordered my first round of Dubias and will give it a try. Also sick of crickets and the noise and smell. I was worried about a roach escape into my house but I believe I read that they wont survive without a heat source?

Dubia are much "meatier" than cricks, you can feel the solid weight in even a small one.
As already mentioned, they are great for injecting meds into.
They do smell, they just dont stink like cricks, and the brown banded cricks I get from Ghann's smell waaaay better then the usual black field crick.
So, I continue to keep a supply of both :)

My idea was to make "flightless crickets" just like flightless fruitflies. We just have to find a few crickets with curly wings in a few 10k batches and try to line breed.

PS: had to buy 500 crickets due to one baby running out of correct sized roaches. Only 4 sleepless nights so far hunting for chirpers...

You should try the Banded Crickets from Ghann's Crickets. They breed them to make less noise, they live longer, and don't stink as bad as the regular cricket. I've never had a noisy bunch!

I too have been worried about roaches getting out. I think they can only fly on an angle right? So if you have them in a feeder cup, they can't get out. I don't mind the chirping but can be loud at times. I just act like I'm camping in the woods.

I too have been worried about roaches getting out. I think they can only fly on an angle right? So if you have them in a feeder cup, they can't get out. I don't mind the chirping but can be loud at times. I just act like I'm camping in the woods.
The roaches flying? If we are talking about Dubia...they don't fly at all. I absolutely love my Duiba as feeders...no smell, not loud at all, and best of all better for my chams! When I first started using them...I started by using gloves and now I don't care :p

Dubia are not legal in FL. What would be the second choice? I ordered discoids a few years ago, thinking I could feed off the medium sized to my veiled. He wouldn't touch them. He was also leary of hornworms. :)

Back
Top Bottom