Might be sick?!

Gracerain

I got my chameleon almost 3 months ago and he was a juvenile male panther. He has stopped eating completely, eyes are sunken in, and takes multiple naps during the day. What should I do?

Is he drinking at all and eating at all? Can you please fill out the “how to ask for help” form in this link and paste it here so we can better see just what’s going on? We’d love to help you. Welcome by the way.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
My chameleon is a male panther. Don’t know what kind of panther though. I’ve had him for almost 3 months. He was about 2 months old when I got him from a local pet store. Cage info: XL reptibreeze cage. All live plants (ficus, hibiscus). UVB: reptisun 5.0 18” t8 bulb. Also has a basking bulb (not sure what kind). Misting: use spray bottle. Mist twice a day for about 3 minutes each with room temperature water. Handling: handle about once a week to take him outside for 30 minutes. Food: hornworms and Dubia roaches. Supplements: dust food with zoo med calcium without d3 every day. Every other Sunday I also use calcium with d3. I use multivitamin once a month.(they are all the zoo med brand). Gutload: sweet potatoes, oats, kiwis, apples, oranges, spinach(alternating). Schedule: I turn his light on at 7:30 am, and off at 7:30 pm. Problem: I’ve noticed lately that he doesn’t move around much. I can tell his eyes are becoming more and more sunken in. I still give him love bugs in a cup everyday even though he no longer will eat them. He takes multiple naps during the day. His color is neutral (kind of dull but not black). He drinks lots of water still. Poop has been very liquidy lately with white, brown, and orange in it.

One problem may be that he’s eating too many horn worms. That will make their poops liquify. But I don’t think this is the only problem. You also should probably mist him a little more so he’ll drink more. The t8 light fixture is old technology and doesn’t give off enough uvb so you need to switch to a t5 Ho. Otherwise your husbandry looks pretty good to me but I don’t keep panther chams so I don’t know a lot about them. I still think you need to take him to a good Cham experienced vet as soon as you can get him in. Im not a vet so I can’t tell you exactly what’s wrong. Again, I’ve tagged some people in to help but they aren’t on right now. They should chime in soon.

Hi. I’d avoid the love bugs. This is from an old thread.
These?...
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG068

I couldn't find anything that says they are toxic...but you need to look at what they eat...and here's something that I would take as a warning not to use them...."Tree frogs and lizards won't eat love bugs. Evidently bats don't eat love bugs either."
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/395/
"Cropper recommended a clear-coat treatment offered by Magic Car Wash to prevent the acidic bugs from damaging vehicles' paint"....
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/27890384.html

Agree please post pictures of the chameleon and the entire enclosure including lighting on top. T8 is not bad when used correctly with the right bulb strength and distance to branch. But when used incorrectly it is the same as any UVB bulb and can be a major issue.

We also need all the questions below answered with detail. Copy paste the form into your reply and then fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Agree please post pictures of the chameleon and the entire enclosure including lighting on top. T8 is not bad when used correctly with the right bulb strength and distance to branch. But when used incorrectly it is the same as any UVB bulb and can be a major issue.

We also need all the questions below answered with detail. Copy paste the form into your reply and then fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
My chameleon is a male panther. Don’t know what kind of panther though. I’ve had him for almost 3 months. He was about 2 months old when I got him from a local pet store. Cage info: XL reptibreeze cage. All live plants (ficus, hibiscus). UVB: reptisun 5.0 18” t8 bulb. Also has a basking bulb (not sure what kind). Misting: use spray bottle. Mist twice a day for about 3 minutes each with room temperature water. Handling: handle about once a week to take him outside for 30 minutes. Food: hornworms and Dubia roaches. Supplements: dust food with zoo med calcium without d3 every day. Every other Sunday I also use calcium with d3. I use multivitamin once a month.(they are all the zoo med brand). Gutload: sweet potatoes, oats, kiwis, apples, oranges, spinach(alternating). Schedule: I turn his light on at 7:30 am, and off at 7:30 pm. Problem: I’ve noticed lately that he doesn’t move around much. I can tell his eyes are becoming more and more sunken in. I still give him love bugs in a cup everyday even though he no longer will eat them. He takes multiple naps during the day. His color is neutral (kind of dull but not black). He drinks lots of water still. Poop has been very liquidy lately with white, brown, and orange in it.

DBD77A75-7E17-4423-A2B4-46E13820C0E2.jpeg

Ok I went through all your info and put it into the format we ask for.... Your missing sections which is why we ask for all the info. I will tell you that looking at your cage it is not set up correctly. There are basically no branches for him. UVB would be incorrect in your case. I am putting all my feedback in capitals so you can distinguish between my info and yours. I inputted your info into the form and it is in bold. Lots of changes needed or he will not make it.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? My chameleon is a male panther. Don’t know what kind of panther though. I’ve had him for almost 3 months. He was about 2 months old when I got him from a local pet store.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Handling: handle about once a week to take him outside for 30 minutes.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Food: hornworms and Dubia roaches. Gutload: sweet potatoes, oats, kiwis, apples, oranges, spinach(alternating). HOW MANY FEEDERS IS HE EATING?OR HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN OFF FOOD? STOP USING SPINACH IT BINDS CALCIUM. DROP THE OATS THEY CAN MOLD WHEN WET. SEE GUTLOADING IMAGE BELOW.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Supplements: dust food with zoo med calcium without d3 every day. Every other Sunday I also use calcium with d3. I use multivitamin once a month.(they are all the zoo med brand). THIS ROTATION IS CORRECT EXCEPT YOU WANT TO USE THE MULTIVITAMIN 2 TIMES A MONTH AS WELL. SO THE MULTIVITAMIN AND THE CALCIUM WITH D3 WOULD ROTATE WEEK TO WEEK AT ONE FEEDING. ALL OTHER FEEDINGS WOULD BE CALCIUM WITHOUT D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Misting: use spray bottle. Mist twice a day for about 3 minutes each with room temperature water. IS HE DRINKING? ARE YOU PROVIDING A DRIPPER SO HE HAS ACCESS TO WATER WHEN HE NEEDS IT?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? HOW ARE THE URATES. ARE THEY WHITE, YELLOW, ORANGE? FECAL WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO RULE OUT A PARASITE ISSUE.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Cage info: XL reptibreeze cage. THIS IS GOOD
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB: reptisun 5.0 18” t8 bulb. Also has a basking bulb (not sure what kind). Schedule: I turn his light on at 7:30 am, and off at 7:30 pm. UVB NEEDS TO BE CHANGED ASAP TO A T5HO FIXTURE AND A 5.0 BULB. YOU WANT A 24 INCH. THEN BASKING BRANCH SHOULD BE 8-9 MEASURED INCHES BELOW THE FIXTURE. HE IS NOT GETTING THE UVB HE NEEDS WITH THE UVB YOUR USING.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? WHAT ARE THE TEMPS? WHAT IS HIS BASKING TEMP? BASKING TEMP SHOULD BE 80-85 MAX
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? WHAT IS THE HUMIDITY? IT SHOULD BE 50-60%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All live plants (ficus, hibiscus).
Current Problem - Problem: I’ve noticed lately that he doesn’t move around much. I can tell his eyes are becoming more and more sunken in. I still give him love bugs in a cup everyday even though he no longer will eat them. He takes multiple naps during the day. His color is neutral (kind of dull but not black). He drinks lots of water still. Poop has been very liquidy lately with white, brown, and orange in it.

HE IS SLOWLY DYING. I WOULD MAKE CHANGES NEEDED TO THE CAGE ASAP AND GET HIM INTO A VET, TAKE A FECAL WITH YOU. IF HE DOES NOT GET WHAT HE NEEDS FAST THIS BOY WILL NOT MAKE IT.

THIS BOY NEEDS MANY MANY MORE BRANCHES IN THE CAGE. HE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO MOVE AROUND AND REGULATE TEMP. RIGHT NOW HIS ONLY REAL WAY OF TRAVEL IS CLIMBING THE SIDES.

THE UVB IS NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH THE T8 AND THE 5.0 BULB. YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THE LIGHTING ASAP, SEE INFO I GAVE YOU ABOVE FOR UVB.

READ THIS FOR HUSBANDRY INFO https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

READ THIS FOR CORRECT CAGE SET UP. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

--------------
chameleon-gutload.jpg

I’ve made some adjustments to his cage as you can see in this picture. Here is the info you asked for: ambient temp:78 degrees basking temp: 88 degrees. He drinks water very frequently and I most his cage 3 times a day for about 2 minutes. I don’t have a dropper but plan on getting one. I am getting the t5 uvb tonight. His feeders are dubia roaches, hornworms, and silkworms. I will definelty stop gutloading with spinach and oats. I have a vet appointment for him tomorrow morning. I do t have a humidity gauge but also plan on getting one of those. I live in north Florida so the average humidity outside (don’t know if this helps) is 60-70%. How to do lower his basking temp?

Attachments

• 3A1A227F-0824-4FA5-ACA4-99ADFD9C6D02.jpeg
    3A1A227F-0824-4FA5-ACA4-99ADFD9C6D02.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 61
  • C89F6EB8-6918-40E4-A629-E012D9B9EBC5.jpeg
    C89F6EB8-6918-40E4-A629-E012D9B9EBC5.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 57
You can lower his basking temp by raising his basking light higher up off the cage. You should get a temp thermometer with a wired probe that you can attach to his Basking spot with a zip tie. Also you should invest in a hygrometer/thermometer with or without a wired probe that you can check humidity and ambient temp with. I have several at different levels of my cage so I can keep track of temp and humidity in the different levels. I’m so glad you’ve already made some changes! That’s awesome and shows how much he means to you! It’s great that you have a vet appointment already as well! Great job!

Back
Top Bottom