Metronidazole- blood before urate/poop

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Background- Last week, Carmelo completed his last treatment of metronidazole.

This đź’Š caused dehydration for Carmelo. I increased hydration prior to starting treatment and have continued to give him one hornworm daily. He produced extremely small urates with a small sliver of poop. Both were significantly smaller than normal. I would compare them to smaller than a coffee stirrer. 1st thought- constipation.

Issue: a few days ago, I noticed a red stain in the enclosure. I was puzzled. I searched everywhere in the enclosure for a cause. (I did not know it was blood). I checked Carmelo for injuries (none).1st
Normal poop since completing medication.
20230122_131310.jpg

Today, Carmelo's poop appears to be 1st-blood, followed by normal urate/poop. The tiny urate/poops and the blood not mixed in the urate leads me to conclude - constipation. I don't feel I need a Vet visit. I feel like its a watch and monitor situation. Carmelo is well hydrated, good appetite, normal behavior, and is currently shedding. I am seeking opinions and advice.
20230123_101143.jpg

Has Carmelo had a recent fecal? Why was he on the metronidazole?
He had a fecal which revealed a small amount of Giardia. He definitely seemed constipated. Very small urates/poop and several days without urates/poop. Small Urates/poop were very dry, chalk like.

@jannb any advice? Could dehydration/constipation cause blood before urate/poop? Should I make a Vet visit? The first round of this medication in December caused dehydration. Crickets are his staple but I think I should stay with soft feeders until the next normal poop.

@jannb any advice? Could dehydration/constipation cause blood before urate/poop? Should I make a Vet visit? The first round of this medication in December caused dehydration. Crickets are his staple but I think I should stay with soft feeders until the next normal poop.

I would call the vet that you went to before and explain the problem. Does your vet have a lot of chameleon knowledge? If not if you tell me where you live I might be able to recommend a good chameleon vet within driving distance.

I saw our regular Vet. He was able to see Carmelo immediately. He did a fecal float. Urates and poop both tested negative for blood and Giardia no longer present. He inspected the vent area which was in great shape. After reviewing the photos of urates/poop, he felt like the blood is related to expelling the large urate/poop. He prescribed Baytril (.01 daily for 5 days). If this does not clear up in a couple of days, we are going back for blood work and xray.

Baytril is very hard on a chameleons kidneys. Did he suspect infection? Baytril is an antibiotic. Kept him extra well hydrated when on Baytril.

Yes, he suspects infection. I have a dripper during awake hours, increased hand misting and I have juicy hornworms. I'm giving him 1 hornworm a day.

@jannb update- Carmelo has had 2 doses of Baytril. No blood in today's urate/poop. He is really hydrated. I've given him a juicy hornworm everyday for 5 days. (Even on non-feeding days). I think I should back off to 1 hornworm every other day. Any thoughts? I've also increased misting times 4 times a day. Poop pic below.
20230127_130803.jpg
20230127_130725.jpg

@jannb I found this old thread "

Jasper needs help ASAP".​

Same symptoms as Carmelo. While treating Carmelo with Metronidazole (2nd round), I fed him 2 superworms every other day because the 1st Metronidazole treatment caused decreased appetite and dehydration. I noticed the constipation (small urates/poop) during the period I was feeding Superworms. The blood hasn't completely stopped. It has greatly decreased. It has been present at every other poop. Just a tinge today.
20230131_115855.jpg

Carmelo is having a hard time with Baytril. He is also in a shed. He is basking less, hiding more, I have to pluck him out of the enclosure for meds, tonight he put himself to bed 1-1/2 hours early (he is not asleep, just laying there) His eyes aren't sunken but they seem to have more wrinkles.
20230131_172825.jpg

Sitting below the basking branch.

Last edited:
I recommend trying a different vet. I believe I recommend some to you earlier. The guy pictured above looks very overweight. I would recommend not feeding super worms anymore. They are very fattening. How many days a week do you feed him? Just being overweight and cause multiply health issues.

Yes, he is overweight. Beman definitely suggested decreasing feeders. He is actually down to 218g. He was 223g. However, during 1st and 2nd treatment I did not follow the decreased feeding schedule because he was getting dehydrated and performing death drops. We were all having a hard time/traumatized. I think the death drops were a result of aspiration. With Baytril we are pro Vet Techs. During his current treatment he gets 3 feeders 3 times a week. His staple is 2 crickets + 1 hornworm, or 2 crickets + 1 silkworm. I never feed superworms but I could not find hornworms/silkworms. He refused crickets so I bought the supers (bad idea). With Baytril treatment, I feed him 1 hornworm everyday and 2 crickets 3 x a week. Once he completes the medication he will return to his regular feeding schedule (2 feedings a week/3 feeders). I should receive my silkworms and more hornworms this week. @kinyonga the doctor tested the fecal and found no blood/parasites and no Giardia. Thanks for the article. @ jannb the appointment with the new vet is in Feburary. So I took him to the first Vet available. I plan to keep the new Vet appointment to established Carmelo as a patient.

Back
Top Bottom