Metabolic Bone Disease? (Trying to rescue)

busterboy

Hey guys,

I am trying to rescue this chameleon that I got from someone who did not properly take care of her. Need some advice on how bad she is? And what I can do to help her. She is supposedly around 1 year 4 months old.
I've attached a photo of her.

She fell today once when I was trying to hand hydrate her. She must of got scared and tried running away, but didnt have a good grip so she fell. I feel so bad for this little girl. Doing everything I can for her

Right now, I am giving her a basking bulb and a 10.0 reptisun UVB bulb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 227
Hello! Cute gal there lol. She doesn't look too bad. Post a couple more pics from other angles and see what others think. From that pic tho, she doesn't look to have bad MBD

I agree, in that pic she doesn't look too bad. If she is struggling with her grip, move her to a smaller screen cage with a soft fall and plenty of vines, or alternatively turn the cage on it's side to make the drop shorter. Keep her in this till she is better, it may prevent a few broken bones from falls!

If you think she has MBD, get her to the vets for a blood count and xray, this will determine the extent of her injuries and her phosphorus levels. The vet will be able to administer a calcium injection, and prescribe some liquid calcium.

Make sure her temps are perfect, as these affect her metabolism and ability to synthesise calcium etc.

I'd also try feeding her silkworms and phoenix worms, they're the highest in calcium and most nutritional.

Hope she gets better!

P.s - Looking at he picture again, it just looks like her ankles are swollen? If this is the case it could indicate too much supplements or gout. Could you post more pictures please?

the vet may prescribe calcium glubionate, i would suggest searching and buying it online, the prescription will cost triple.
it made a huge diff in my veileds calcium levels:D

http://beardeddragonbreeder.net/medicines.html

If it's not MDB but in fact gout though, this could make it 50 times worse. It's always best to get the advise of a vet, even just a consultation and buy the meds yourself online when you know the dosages. Pet insurance would cover it though, and a good vet wouldn't rip you off (unless UK exotic vets are just cheaper than US vets)

Her leg seems to be broken. It does not want to grab anything or have any grip. Seems very fragile. I made her a little sleeping nest for her to go to sleep....a container and soft towel. She is asleep and her back part of the body (near the legs) is a black color. I'm assuming because its a problem around that area. Vet visit tomorrow at 9 O clock.

help

Try making sure she has plenty of horizontal branches at different sizes. bamboo will offer all kinds of sized sturdy perchs and will adhere securely to the sides with a craft store glue gun. in the end if you want to remove the glue and branches, set the gun to lower temp setting and heat up the glue with nozzle to remove. Reptibreeze cage screen will tolerate the heat. I have done it plenty of times w/out burning a hole. If her problem turns out to be permenant, you will know what size she prefers and can accomodate her with plenty of branches she can get a grip on.

After the vet visit...

I was told she had mbd....
I was given some prescription stuff to stop it from getting any worse. Hopefully she gets the back legs moving soon. I will have to hand feed her and take extra care of her. I hope all this is for something... I'll keep everyone updated to let everyone know what happens. Thanks for the replies

How did the vet determine that the chameleon has MBD?
I'm not a vet but from my experience I think the swollen leg looks like it could be gout too. Did the vet do any tests or xrays to determine if it was?

If it is MBD then the calcium levels need to be brought back into balance and kept tbere to prevent it from happening again. Also, UVB and appropriate temperatures are important in this as well.

How old is she? A few more pictures would help, but looks to me like she could be gravid. Does she have a laying bin?

The vet felt around her stomach and said she is not gravid. Besides, she laid about a month ago (45 eggs)... Unfortunately, I did not have the money to take xrays as it was an extra $150 to do. I feel terrible, but I really can't afford that right now. I spent a great deal of money on her to get seen by the vet, get proper medication, and do a fecal test in a few days (when she poops again) to determine if she has parasites for the mean time.... But now that you guys bring up this "gout", I'm kinda scared.

He felt her bones and said " i can tell you right now, she definitely has MBD"

I have a re-check in two weeks to see if she has any progress.

How did the vet determine that the chameleon has MBD?
I'm not a vet but from my experience I think the swollen leg looks like it could be gout too. Did the vet do any tests or xrays to determine if it was?

If it is MBD then the calcium levels need to be brought back into balance and kept tbere to prevent it from happening again. Also, UVB and appropriate temperatures are important in this as well.

Do you think it is possible for her to have gout? I have seen her fall off branches before... then I turned her cage horizontally so she wouldn't fall from such high heights. Then moved her to a bin with a towel after relaizing she was dragging her two back legs (like she was paralyzed). The vet did say, she does have a little bit of grip in the legs though. Not much though.

A simple blood test will be able to indicate whether it's MBD or Gout. It shouldn't cost much, though in the states your vet bills seem crazy! You could look into pet insurance, mines is only £11 a month.

I hope she recovers, not much more advice can be given until a blood test or xray is taken, sorry can't be of more help!

Back
Top Bottom