MESH Discussion - Best Practices

darthink

Hi all,

I made this thread in hopes that we discuss what the best kind of mesh is to use when building a new cage. Here are some things to consider below:

• Metal vs Plastic
  • Size of the grid (don't want cham to get little nails stucks and hurt him/herself)
  • Waterproof (metals that don't rust or plastics of good quality)
  • Strength of mesh (will it hold cham up; or do I want to attach things to the side of the cage)

Any suggestions as to what I should use? I'm very big on look and feel as well. So, functional, yet nice looking.

Thanks for all the ideas and contributions!

Lowes has a variety of screen mesh but i would go with aluminum.. Sunlight and heat lamps will destroy plastic plus theirs more of a chance of ur chamm escaping?

I've heard crickets will chew through the nylon mesh so the metal aluminum mesh is better in that regard. I think it looks nice, but some chameleons get their nails caught in finer mesh and tear their nails out. Mine has never torn his nails and he used to climb the screen a lot. To discourage this I tied loops of plastic vines all over the walls of his home using fishing line. This has helped keep him off the screen.

For my cages I used the pet screen for the sides and my removable bottom piece (pet screen is thicker and stronger). Then I used the aluminum mesh (the thinnest they had) for the door and top: so that lights can go through the top and for the door so that I can see them better.

If I were to do it again I would change the top to coated hardware cloth to allow even more light and UV to go through.

I just recently built a cage and this is what I used. It is uv resistant and very strong. My bigger Cham can grasp and walk all over it just fine.

As far as metal is concerned, o saw Galvanized Zinc mesh. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it alright to use or would it be unhealthy?

i think zinc can be harmful. i used black aluminum mesh/screen for mine. i used 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth for the top thought for more light to penetrate

Home Depot has both type, aluminum and fiber glass. Sometimes they separate the two but in my experience most home depots are super disorganized...:rolleyes:

The larger the gap in the mesh you can buy without letting critters out is best for the health of your chameleons claws. But in my experience if you have enough stuff for your chameleon to climb on, they don't climb on the walls. So if that is an issue for keepers, look at what you can change to keep them off of the wall.

Another trick i've seen people do is use the small screen mesh but on the inside add that thick plastic mesh on the walls. But again, look to see why your cham is climbing walls first.

I just built a huge custom enclosure and went with aluminum, I dont have any complaints. Holds up just fine. I got the rolls at Home Depot.

As far as metal is concerned, o saw Galvanized Zinc mesh. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it alright to use or would it be unhealthy?

Galvanized mesh causes zinc poisoning in birds and reptiles. If anyone out there is using galvanized mesh, get it out of there. Not only can they absorb it through their feet/skin, if they drink water drops off of it, they will get heavy metal poisoning. It accumulates in organs, so even long after it is removed, the zinc remains.

I just recently built a cage and this is what I used. It is uv resistant and very strong. My bigger Cham can grasp and walk all over it just fine.

I got the same stuff that this guy posted a pic of. Thanks for the comments, I totally stayed away from galvanized anything. I must be blind though, I so no aluminum anything. Must be in a different section.

Galvanized mesh causes zinc poisoning in birds and reptiles. If anyone out there is using galvanized mesh, get it out of there. Not only can they absorb it through their feet/skin, if they drink water drops off of it, they will get heavy metal poisoning. It accumulates in organs, so even long after it is removed, the zinc remains.

I actually had rolls of galvanized mesh on order when I read this.
Mike, you are truly a lifesaver!

For those of you who said crickets will eat through plastic…what are you referring to? Thats not the same as the fiberglass screen is it? I will be building soon but I want to stay away from metal screen altogether. Since my guy doesn't cup feed on his own (I have to be holding the cup) and I like to free range then I can't do the wider stuff :confused: Just need some clarification on that.

Back
Top Bottom