mercury vapor bulb UVB stats?

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have seen much on the out put of the THO type bulbs.
My issue is this. I use the solar Glo 185w due to the size of the enclosure.
The only info I can find is by the manufacture. If it is accurate I am good. Both animals have been under these lights(separate rooms) since they were probably 3mo old. And they are quite healthy. I change every 6 months.
Zoo med has one for twice the price, but guaranteed for a year. I talked to a rep and did not get clear answer if this included UVB output.

I can find very little on how long I should expect it to last, nor actual readings over time at a distance of 2 feet.

Does any one have any stats.

I have seen much on the out put of the THO type bulbs.
My issue is this. I use the solar Glo 185w due to the size of the enclosure.
The only info I can find is by the manufacture. If it is accurate I am good. Both animals have been under these lights(separate rooms) since they were probably 3mo old. And they are quite healthy. I change every 6 months.
Zoo med has one for twice the price, but guaranteed for a year. I talked to a rep and did not get clear answer if this included UVB output.

I can find very little on how long I should expect it to last, nor actual readings over time at a distance of 2 feet.

Does any one have any stats.
The problem with MV bulbs is they vary a lot from lamp to lamp. A solar meter is your best bet for gauging uvi.

The problem with MV bulbs is they vary a lot from lamp to lamp. A solar meter is your best bet for gauging uvi.

That is kind of what I understand. I want to get a uvi, but pricey, I don't want to waste on a cheep one.

My setup is such that I don't think florescent will reach.

That is kind of what I understand. I want to get a uvi, but pricey, I don't want to waste on a cheep one.

My setup is such that I don't think florescent will reach.
I know what you mean by “reaching”, but even MV is useless past 2 feet. So even if the enclosure is just 4 feet tall, there’ll be places with no useful uvi’s. But that’s exactly how it is in the wild: full equatorial sun at uvi 3 (early morning) to 13 (midday/afternoon) and 6” away under the shade of a large leaf, uvi 1. Personally, I’d set things up so that the ambient temps in your enclosure are low enough that your Cham will want to bask periodically throughout the day. Then set up your basking area such that at 85 degrees, your Cham will see uvi’s of 5 or so. Chams aren’t dumb; when they want to warm up, they’ll find the sweet spot, and as long as your uv bulb is optimal at that spot, your Cham’ll get its dose.

I know what you mean by “reaching”, but even MV is useless past 2 feet. So even if the enclosure is just 4 feet tall, there’ll be places with no useful uvi’s. But that’s exactly how it is in the wild: full equatorial sun at uvi 3 (early morning) to 13 (midday/afternoon) and 6” away under the shade of a large leaf, uvi 1. Personally, I’d set things up so that the ambient temps in your enclosure are low enough that your Cham will want to bask periodically throughout the day. Then set up your basking area such that at 85 degrees, your Cham will see uvi’s of 5 or so. Chams aren’t dumb; when they want to warm up, they’ll find the sweet spot, and as long as your uv bulb is optimal at that spot, your Cham’ll get its dose.

that is how it is set up. The depth of penetration was my logic, as their package suggests, but I had doubts.
With my setup. The furthest point from bulb is about 3 ft. Closest is about 9 inches (she never goes this far)
Her average range is 18, lots of plants.

that is how it is set up. The depth of penetration was my logic, as their package suggests, but I had doubts.
With my setup. The furthest point from bulb is about 3 ft. Closest is about 9 inches (she never goes this far)
Her average range is 18, lots of plants.
If you’re looking for good uvb penetration, look into metal halide lighting. They get a bad rap around here but if used properly with a solar meter they work great.

Back
Top Bottom