Melonia jumped the fence!!

fox3060

Hey guys, I've recently finished my new cage (one piece/2 sections w/divider) and some how my female squeezed under the middle divider and ventured over to the male's (Tango) side.
Looks like they had a little confrontation, as she has a decent bite outline on her veil. Gah, I hope they didn't do the dirty.... :D
Any thoughts? Would pics help?

Hey, I cant really offer much help besides to close that gap between the cages but yes, I am curious to see some pics.

My thoughts would be that you need to make sure that the divider is more secure from now on. Imagine if that bite had been on her limbs rather than her casque? She might be missing a leg right now (this happens often during chameleon confrontations).
Unless they are receptive to mating, putting them together often just leads to fights and injuries.

How severe is the bite wound? Did it puncture the skin? You might have to use an antiseptic cream for it.

I'm aware of housing multiples and the issues it arises... No puncture wounds just a decent chomp. After looking over the male it appears she didn't give in easily.

I've posted pics of their new set up as well as the mark Tango left on Melonia. Thoughts of the set up and visual condition of the two would be great. Thanks guys, and gals. :D

IMGP7642.jpg

IMGP7635-1.jpg

IMGP7637.jpg

IMGP7638.jpg

IMGP7643.jpg

IMGP7644.jpg

Nah, I've tightly stitched plastic vines on both sides of the divider so that they cannot see each other. The reason I built the cage the way I did was to save space in my 1/1 condo. Otherwise I would've built two separate cages.

Figure out something for that gap.

Keep in mind chameleons have hollow bones. It would be pretty easy for a male to break one of those bones in a hard bite. They tend to face each other head on. This leads to a lot of bites on the lower jaw. A broken jaw means death in the wild or captivity.

Back
Top Bottom