Meller's Chameleon Suggestions

pinocchiosmommy

I went to the reptile show in columbus yesterday with the intentions of bringing home a panthered chameleon. I have been researching them for about three months. I got a 270 gallon alum. screen enclosure, filled it with safe plants, a waterfall, a ceramic heat buld, and uv 5.0 bulbs. Then when I was discouraged because there was no panthered chameleons to be found, I layed my eyes on the cutest little chameleon in a small plastic tub. He had a horn that was bent sideways, and didn't even have room to lay down flat. I asked the lady if he could go in a habitat built for a panthered chameleon. She said yes he would be very happy there. Then When I got home I started researching Meller's chameleon more. I got really worried that although I'm not a beginner with reptiles, I have never owned a chameleon. I woke up thoughout the night checking on his. He seems very happy. I misted the plants this morning and he drank water from the leaves. So I gave him extra water on the leaf near his stem until he was done drinking. Then I noticed he was watching the crickets but having problems reaching them. So I held on for him and he ate it out of my fingers. He is only about 6 inches long now. He seems to be a health green and yellow color. And is eatting and drinking fine. Is the 270 gallon big enough for him when he is fully grown, or will he need a larger setup? Also I was reading that foggers are bad for chameleons. Since I have a waterfall in the enclosurer, and will mist three times a day should I have a mister or fogger? Any suggestions will be appriceiated! Thanks for reading,
Sarah
or Pinocchio's new owner

What's the dimensions on that enclosure? I would assume that since Meller's are huge, they need at least the standard 2x2x4ft cage or bigger.

Welcome to the forums and the world of chameleons! It sounds like you've been doing your research and are on the right track. Foggers aren't bad for chams, they just tend to break quickly. I personally use a humidifier for my chams. Misters are great additions, especially for Mellers which like to drink a lot. Actually your waterfall should be taken out as they don't usually drink from them and unless you are cleaning it out every single day it's just a breeding ground for bacteria. What are you using to gutload your crickets and what powdered supplements are you going to use?

Looks like you have a juvenile Mellers there. When fully grown they need very large enlosures, mine are in 5 talls by 4 long by 3 wide and are shortly going into a much larger enclosure. Get rid of the waterfall-they are dangerous and you can never keep them clean enough. Ceramic heat bulbs are no good either. Replace with a 60 watt regular white household lightbulb-you want a basking spot in the low 80's. The rest of the cage should be in the low 70's. Mellers do not do well with extreme heat. I will assume you have new 5.0 UVB bulbs? Compact screw in type bulbs are not recommended with the linear long bulbs being preferred. DO you have a picture of the enclosure and the chameleon?

I have him in a 24'x24'x48' now and It is plenty big because he is so small. But I have ordered the 29" x 29" x 72" which is 260 gallon. Is that big enough?

I have him in a 24'x24'x48' now and It is plenty big because he is so small. But I have ordered the 29" x 29" x 72" which is 260 gallon. Is that big enough?

This will be good for a few years. I would keep him in the one he is in until he is about a year old or a bit older.

Thanks so much for all the help. I will post pictures of the enclosure. I am in the process of taking the waterfall out. I do have a new 5.0 tube bulb. So that will be good, I wasn't sure about the ceramic bulb. So thanks, I will be getting rid of it immediately too. I was also wondering what the humidity is supposed to be kept at, and will the misting be enough to keep it at a high level?

your a brave one!! awesome species to own but one of the most demanding. they need a huge enviroment to strive. 2x2x4 is fine for the moment. i strongly suggest you getting a fecal done and if he has any worms get him dewormed. im going to assume he is w/c because of the bent horn and being that many mellers are c/b. please get him to a vet ASAP! other than that. they need a lot of water and a lot of water to even get started drinking. a cage with drainage is going to be needed (you dont want fungus). probably the most demanding of the any chameleon species for the amount/quantity of water they need. a variety of prey appropriate sized. from my experiences with them they love dubai roaches, silk worms and horn worms (but i guess most chameleon do to). proper lighting and basking temps are a must!

keys to meller success

1)if w/c getting dewormed
2) LOTS AND LOTS of water
3)proper cage size (HUGE)
4)proper dustings and gut load
5)correct lighting and basking temps
6)variety of prey

just an opinion but i would not use a water fall or fogger.

please look up some of the post done by summoner or pm him. the guy knows his mellers very well.

The ceramic might be ok. It just all depends on your temperatures and the climate in your area. Some people use them in colder parts of the country, especially at night. You can move it closer or further from the top of the cage to get the temp you are looking for.

The ceramic might be ok. It just all depends on your temperatures and the climate in your area. Some people use them in colder parts of the country, especially at night. You can move it closer or further from the top of the cage to get the temp you are looking for.

Since chameleons associate white light with basking heat, the only thing the ceramics are good for is night supplemental heat.

id be careful if that light is in the cage? I cant really tell by the picture, but if it is thats an accident waiting to happen.

Try out the search feature here on the forums and just search mellers or melleri... lots of info there. Also check out www.melleridiscovery.com for even more helpful facts. This being your first cham you should also do some serious reading on basic husbandry principles. Cheers!

Yes, the lights were inside the enclosure. I move them outside, but now I'm not sure what to use so he can climb up near them. I have some artificial vines, but I have read that they're unsafe. Would live grape vines be safe?

Live grape vines or dead even should be excellent. Just make sure its not to flimsy/breakable. Secure them so hes not falling around when walking on them and make plenty of routes reachable for easy maneuvering .:cool: .. Chameleons are fun and basic care gets routine after you get in the swing of things. Good luck with him.

I use artificial vines and real ones. Real ones look cooler and are a lot cheaper. Fake ones easier to manipulate , and last longer.

You remember what stand you bought it from? Was it right when you walked in to the right few tables down by chance.

I'm totally jealous of you ! :) I love meller chameleons! I'm sure you will take great care of him! You have came to the best chameleon community! Enjoy him/her !

Back
Top Bottom