Mellers care

hello i was thinking of getting a mellers and i know these guys are bigger than some other chameleons so i was wondering what cage size is needed for these guys, would a 24x24x48 a good cage size for this chameleon a male to be exact as for temperature and and humidity wise would be nice to know too. :)

They are far more challenging to keep than most other chams.
24 x 24 x 48 is way too small an enclosure.
Here is more Melleri info than you can find in any other single place, I believe:
http://www.melleridiscovery.com/
There are some Melleri keepers on the forum, so do a search using Meller and I think both Meller's and Melleri worded posts will show.

ahh i see 4'x6'x6' this is a really nice website for meller's thanks for the website really informative but another thing do you know where i can get baby mellers? Been trying to find someone but no luck so far.

ahh i see 4'x6'x6' this is a really nice website for meller's thanks for the website really informative but another thing do you know where i can get baby mellers? Been trying to find someone but no luck so far.

CBB Melleri are rare, most will be WC. Unlike most chameleons, they have a period of courtship to find a suitable mate instead of the usual wham bam thank you ma'am. If you plan to go for a WC, prepare to deal with parasites and dehydration/malnutrition. They're one of my personal favorites and I would love to get one someday.

hmm interesting fact, though i would actually try to find a CBB mellers, i would have to find breeders though i really dont know where to start looking, any recommendations would good from breeders need to find a breeder soon.

I don't know anyone that is expecting eggs to hatch any time soon. Perhaps ThePhotoprincess has eggs, they have a very large group of Meller's. Besides them, I have no idea. The only babies I have seen anywhere have been wild caught by different sources, but they sell out quickly.

Melleri discovery is an extremely good source for info on these guys. I keep a small group of melleri and my best advice is to make sure they have space. These guys do best with a very large area and if possible a nice free range setup. They have a tendency to get a little to chunky if kept in too small an area as they can get quite lazy. Also, water is insanely important with these guys coupled with nice, consistently high humidity. Good luck finding a little one, but keep in mind he wont stay little long!

i was thinking of buying a 24x24x48 when hes young then get a 4x4x6 cage once it gets bigger as for water i was thinking of using a mist king i have plus a dripper and spraying the cage i think it would be pretty good for hydration.

That sounds good just as long as they have almost constant access to a water source. Just remember also that since this is such a big species they are going to eat... quite a bit. It is quite a good idea to establish a dubia colony now if you do not already have one. Melleri are vigorous eaters and will eat as much as you can give them!

I don't know anyone that is expecting eggs to hatch any time soon. Perhaps ThePhotoprincess has eggs, they have a very large group of Meller's. Besides them, I have no idea. The only babies I have seen anywhere have been wild caught by different sources, but they sell out quickly.

Oh, don't I wish ThePhotoPricess did have Melleri eggs, as I'm sure they'd wish too. Nothing reported yet, though. They have a persistent male, but apparently he hasn't been able to woo her over quite yet. :) When they do have melleri babies, I'm SOOO going to have to visit! As it is, I can't wait to see their J. Xantholophus babies; their recent clutch of Veileds are way too cute!

anybody know if backwaterReptiles are a reliable source? Because.. they are selling mellers atm for 149 and i think they are wc obviously for the price but small not large any ideas?

Oh, don't I wish ThePhotoPricess did have Melleri eggs, as I'm sure they'd wish too. Nothing reported yet, though. They have a persistent male, but apparently he hasn't been able to woo her over quite yet. :) When they do have melleri babies, I'm SOOO going to have to visit! As it is, I can't wait to see their J. Xantholophus babies; their recent clutch of Veileds are way too cute!

thank you! hopefully we'll have baby xanths and panthers soon, in addition to the veileds but we have no melleri eggs yet.

and yes, a visit soon - there will be many babies soon so it should be a real zoo!

They need space.

A 24x24x48 inch cage is not large enough for an adult. Ok for a baby and juvi... after about a year the melleri will need a new home:

I currently keep one large melleri in this free range:
IMG_1535.jpg

It has automated drainage:
IMG_1531.jpg

AquaZamp misting nozzles (6 in total):
IMG_1554.jpg

There are three basking lamps (because I had three melleri in this one free range) only two operate now as one melleri doesn't need THAT much basking variety...
light1.jpg

Here is the misting system... controls water to different chameleon enclosures in the home. It also filters the water using the RO process. It is fully automated via ethernet and can be accessed from anywhere in the world with the internet.
_MG_7005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom