Meller questions

wayne1

I have just orderd four CB mellers. I kept them nearly 15 years ago and was wondering if meller keepers are keeping them seperate or in groups i used to keep in small groups. I also wanted to know if anyone has bred CB to CB or are all breeding still useing WC. Husbandry changes all the time as we learn more i would just like to catch up on 15 years

Thank you in advance

I have just orderd four CB mellers. I kept them nearly 15 years ago and was wondering if meller keepers are keeping them seperate or in groups i used to keep in small groups. I also wanted to know if anyone has bred CB to CB or are all breeding still useing WC. Husbandry changes all the time as we learn more i would just like to catch up on 15 years

Thank you in advance

They need to be kept separate in huge cages (as they grow- Adults need like 8 feet long X 2 Feet Deep X 8 feet tall and well planted). They are really hard to sex so you may end up with all males :(.

Most Mellers are WC (here in the states at least).

Question: has anyone tried probing them? Since they're so hard to sex would that be possible? Since they have hemipenes like snakes I was just curious if that had ever been tried, or if there's some glaring problem with trying it that I'm not aware of. Just curious. :)

I have not jumped into this i used to keep 12 adult mellers and had two clutch hatch. But that was 15 years ago i have just started renting a 1500 sq unit for my collection so space is not a problem but as i said i kept in groups and some on there own as some were very aggressive not just to each other but to me also. I just wanted to know the general rule these days as everyone has there own way of doing things. Still keen to learn if anyone has bred CB to CB I know mine are 100% CB as they were bred by a vet in the UK

Yeah I think if you go on melleri discovery you will find more info on these guys. I know fluxlizard had some cb clutches hatch last year. I dont know if he keeps his in groups or not? I have read some posts from multiple keepers. It seems like most of them keep them in large free range harem type groups. I would def make sure there were no aggressive members of the group though before I just left them alone together. You may return to a blood bath. Although if these all came from the same clutch they should be around the same size and should be used to each other. Good luck with the project, I hope your able to find some unrelated bloodlines to further expand your line.

And welcome back to the hobby. I was out of the hobby myself for about 10 yrs. i had bred ambanjas & Veileds & kept jacksons many yrs ago. Its much easier now than it was when you were in the hobby before. Easier to find chams and easier to find caging & feeders. Enjoy your new chams.

Thank you for all your help, as i thourght its going to be a mixed bag some keep them on there own some in groups. last time aggressive cage mates were removed as they will be this time, i have already organised to swap two for unrealted CB. I have read meller discovery so many times but no new info has really come to light.

Hi and welcome back to Melleri! By far my favorite shh dont tell my othet chams lol

Like mentioned check out www.melleridiscovery.com its a great place to start.

You can keep them in a group as long as you monitor to make sure they all get along and the enclosure or area they are kept is the proper size.

There are several keepers here and we all do things similar but different.

The Melleri discovery will fill you in on the changes that have occured with the husbandry and if you have direct questions please ask!

Ferretinmyshoe- I wouldnt have my Melleri probed because its not worth the risk of an injury

I know a person who has his third CB-generation.

I have bad exerience with keeping juveniles together (at total length 20cm there started real problems), but there is no problem when keeping a pair in a cage of the size 1.2*1.2*2 metres.

Probing would be a really good way to mess up your melleri...

Where did you purchase four captive bred melleri from?

I would keep them in a large enclosure and keep an eye on them. Be sure to provide a basking spot for each animal and provide visual barriers. If you see any tail nips or scratches it's time to REALLY watch and see who and when. Be on the lookout for what sets off the confrontation. If they are CB..... it won't be a good idea to have them mate if they are all related.

Back
Top Bottom