Meller‘s Chameleon Care Sheet

PetNcs

Chameleon Enthusiast
Meller’s Chameleon,
Trioceros melleri
Care Sheet (both in metric and royal units)

The majestic One-Horned, Giant or Elephant-Ear Chameleon is the biggest continental chameleon of Africa.
Its husbandry is full of myths, superstitions and wrong assumptions.
This is why untill now, it is not yet well established in the captivity.
Please keep these gentle giants on the base of facts and not myths, most of which I try to eradicate here...

Meller's Chameleons: beliefs and reality

Meller's Chameleons are absolutely stunning animals, unfortunately, in captivity, lots of myths are parotted, that are not true or only partly and in fact are a barrier for spreading this stunning species in captivity...

Myth 1: they are tollerant to each other
Practice: people cohabit them even in big groups
Wild: they are well known by locals to fight until death, except for breeding season, they live in a mode of one animal per one tree only
Truth: they are same way intollerant as all other chameleons, they just can stay calm long time before showing stress or taking an action. As a result, you can then see crushed heads, bad bites, long healing injuries, fatalities

Myth 2: they are heavy drinkers
Practice: showering, heavy misting and drinking for minutes is the practice many would swear on
Wild: they live in biotopes where they almost never (except for relatively short rainy season) do not face any liquid water, but they encounter heavy fog or clouds on a regular, even daily basis and this is how they hydrate primarily
Truth: they are heavy drinkers to compensate the lack of natural fog hydration and dessication in too low humidity nights in captivity, if provided with fog, they might stop drinking for months

Myth 3: they need big distances to cover
Practice: people give them often huge cages (the bigger the better, that is a good oractice) and even construct funny “gyms” or free ranging areas where they “force” them to exercise
Wild: they are lazy sit-and-wait predators that stay for weeks in thr criwns if treea sitting on one spot and waiting for prey, saving energy and not wasting it for not-purposeful movements
Truth: they do not need to move too much, when given “ideal” conditions, they almost do not move

Myth 4: due to their size, they need big sized feeders
Practice: they are often fed with big feeders, mainly locusts and big roaches, they often get fat and get digestion problems
Wild: despite they are capable of eating birds, small mammals etc, they extremely rarely do, the absolute majority of their food consosts of small pollinators: bees, wasps, flies not exceeding 3/4in total length, they tend to ignore big locusts even if widely available
Truth: they do very well if given many small feeders

Myth 5: they need it hot
Practice: people are offering them often very hot basking spots with temps over 35’C
Wild: they live predominantly in warm but not hot areas and stay the whole say in deeply shaded and windy canopies of big trees, they live in areas with significant night drop, often under 20’C or even lower
True: they do not need it hot and are thriving if not exposed to temps over 30’C at all and staying in ambient temps 23-25’C

Myth 6: they are very calm and hardy
Practice: they are often mistreated and kept in not good conditions because they do not seem to be not ok
Wild: in the wild they live for many years but are same sensitive to all environmental pressures like the other species, just due the size, they withstand bad conditions a bit longer
Truth: they are very sensitive but they are masters of disguise: they pretend to be OK or do not show obvious signs of discomfort for very long. Then they usually “suddenly” die.

The above IMHO etude is based on many years of keeping and breeding practice, examination of over hundred freshly imported and more that 200 long term captive kept WC and CB and field experience with this species from the areas where they naturally occur...

and there are other myths...

Myth:
They like it hot as they live in the lowlands
Truth:
They like it quite cold as they predominantly live on mountains and their slopes or in the area close to ocean. All influemced by cold air either attained through breeze or by pouring down from the hills at night
I have never seen them in the lowland, I have always seen them On mountains and their slopes or on the foot of a mountain
Daily temps
Up to low 80s at noon
Nighttime temps maximum low 70s, more often 60s and upper 50s

Myth:
They are heavy drinkers
Truth:
Most of their biotopes get no rain many months of the year so they do not drink at all
They sit all night in the mist and drink fog

Myth:
They like big food, locusts and roaches
Truth:
They feed predominantly on pollinators of less than 1/2in size like bees, wasps, flies, beetles
They do not eat geasshopers in the wild (they do not get them in the canopies) and rhe refuse locusts

Myth:
They are tollerant and xan be kept in small space together
Truth:
They are well known to the locals, to live in isolated canopies of big trees and never come together except breeding season. If they meet, they fight until one or both is dead

Myth:
They need to be misted and sprayed several times a day, they need high humidity at daytime
Truth:
They live in areas without rain most if the year, they occupy windy canopies with days totally dry with humidity below 40%
They have nothing to drink in the wild most of the year
They get hydrated by fog at night

Attachments

• 1C073303-DBBD-4B1A-A1A4-0767B298DB5C.jpeg
    1C073303-DBBD-4B1A-A1A4-0767B298DB5C.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 137
  • BB91A99F-E86B-4046-9C91-89F803866FAC.jpeg
    BB91A99F-E86B-4046-9C91-89F803866FAC.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 5BA9538F-EA25-4EBE-B0E1-33B43FA3701E.jpeg
    5BA9538F-EA25-4EBE-B0E1-33B43FA3701E.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 5219E8DC-FC27-4721-9EFE-BF7BEE3CE42B.jpeg
    5219E8DC-FC27-4721-9EFE-BF7BEE3CE42B.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 129
  • A8047F16-DB6D-4419-80DC-2F313CC5A590.jpeg
    A8047F16-DB6D-4419-80DC-2F313CC5A590.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 30C1B0C9-8332-4D95-832F-FCE0E34D3C2B.jpeg
    30C1B0C9-8332-4D95-832F-FCE0E34D3C2B.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 134
I wish everyone keeping rhe Mellers Gentle Giants to find it useful

Itnis meant for the good of mankind, chameleonkind and the Planet Earth

Share as wide as you want, just refer to source

@PetNcs

Hey Petr, thanks for putting this together! I am interested in why you do not recommend bioactive setups for melleri. Do you feel the same for other species too? Thanks!

Last edited:
So not criticizing, but just a thought about feeders. I can believe that they eat mostly small insects. Something I notice though... Even where I live I see my cham sizing up birds that cross him on a pretty regular basis(he isn't able to get any because he's in an enclosure outside). I'm sure there are tons of birds where they live. I feel like there could be more birds than insects that would cross paths with a chameleon way up in the trees on a regular basis. And the thing is, even if all month they eat small insects, but then get one bird, small rodent, lizard, etc. That would be a huge boost in vitamins/calcium/calories in comparison to small pollinators. To me, it would make sense that they can live well off a higher amount of insects in captivity, but in the wild even one vertebrate prey would make such a difference. Maybe even being part of the reason they get so large?

@PetNcs

Hey Petr, thanks for putting this together! I am interested in why you do not recommend bioactive setups for melleri. Do you feel the same for other species too? Thanks!

Bioactiviry is one of the two options

Bioactive layer does not make too much sense for them
Rhey do not live close to ground, rhey live high in the canopies: 30-50ft. No need
No harm but no need
By fhe way i recommended
NO substrate OR. Bioactive

So not criticizing, but just a thought about feeders. I can believe that they eat mostly small insects. Something I notice though... Even where I live I see my cham sizing up birds that cross him on a pretty regular basis(he isn't able to get any because he's in an enclosure outside). I'm sure there are tons of birds where they live. I feel like there could be more birds than insects that would cross paths with a chameleon way up in the trees on a regular basis. And the thing is, even if all month they eat small insects, but then get one bird, small rodent, lizard, etc. That would be a huge boost in vitamins/calcium/calories in comparison to small pollinators. To me, it would make sense that they can live well off a higher amount of insects in captivity, but in the wild even one vertebrate prey would make such a difference. Maybe even being part of the reason they get so large?

They have been reported to feed on birds
The burds are nit that frequent in there as yiu imagine but they are there
I guess they do not eat them regularly
I
Made more than 300 fecal samples of wild mellers somdar
No singke veryebrates
Is quite a lot
Does not mean they do not eat them
ButnI doubt it is regular
And therefoee, it hardly is the reason for their size

They have been reported to feed on birds
The burds are nit that frequent in there as yiu imagine but they are there
I guess they do not eat them regularly
I
Made more than 300 fecal samples of wild mellers somdar
No singke veryebrates
Is quite a lot
Does not mean they do not eat them
ButnI doubt it is regular
And therefoee, it hardly is the reason for their size

Fair enough! I guess we have more birds than insects here, but I'm sure that varies in different parts of the world.

to my humble experience, melleri (and almost all my chameleon) have preference for smaller staple feeder. My first experience with them was to feed them with the moto "bigger is better" but at the end i realise this was little bit more hard to digest and anyway they prefer (when they have the choice) to go with the smaller one. but! still humble experience ;)

I heard that roaches and other large prey items can be more easily gutloaded than smaller ones. Maybe chams in the wild do better in pollinators, but if we’re shooting for unnaturally long lives, why not use the food items we can.

I heard that roaches and other large prey items can be more easily gutloaded than smaller ones. Maybe chams in the wild do better in pollinators, but if we’re shooting for unnaturally long lives, why not use the food items we can.

Smaller insect got smaller guts but they can be equally gutloaded;) gutloading with beepollen is a nice way to "replicate" partially but i agree its not easy to replicate the nature at home

It’s such a tough call...on the one hand, we want to replicate the conditions our chams have evolved to survive in; but on the other, we want our chams to live longer than they do in the wild, so replicating the wild conditions might be self-defeating. It’s kind of like brushing our teeth: it’s pretty unnatural, but, as it turns out, it allows us to keep our teeth longer than our life expectancy circa 300bce.

to my humble experience, melleri (and almost all my chameleon) have preference for smaller staple feeder. My first experience with them was to feed them with the moto "bigger is better" but at the end i realise this was little bit more hard to digest and anyway they prefer (when they have the choice) to go with the smaller one. but! still humble experience ;)

I can believe that. I've noticed when I feed my parsons too many large feeders he is slow to poop. I'm just going off my experience with my C. P. P. which is very different, but I have trouble feeding him smaller feeders. He neglects everything, all worms, superworms, grubs, etc and immediately strikes larger roaches. He's not crazy about smaller roaches either, other than red runners which he loves. Occasionally he'll take a snail, but my guess is it is on accident when I put one in his feeder cup with roaches. He likes flying insects too most of the time, but not always. Large roaches(think adult female dubia and orangehead sizes) are definitely his favorite.

Oh and stinkbugs he loves... going to try some flower beetles once they pupate as well.

I guess we need ti really think well
Of what we are doing.
Big food items
Are
Clearly worse rkmdigest
And ibvioisly small feeders are sometimes hard tk gutload

So let us fi to some meaningful compromise,
Nit ti extremes (means why to go for huge roaches if we can easiky gutload small crickeat)

I can believe that. I've noticed when I feed my parsons too many large feeders he is slow to poop. I'm just going off my experience with my C. P. P. which is very different, but I have trouble feeding him smaller feeders. He neglects everything, all worms, superworms, grubs, etc and immediately strikes larger roaches. He's not crazy about smaller roaches either, other than red runners which he loves. Occasionally he'll take a snail, but my guess is it is on accident when I put one in his feeder cup with roaches. He likes flying insects too most of the time, but not always. Large roaches(think adult female dubia and orangehead sizes) are definitely his favorite.

Oh and stinkbugs he loves... going to try some flower beetles once they pupate as well.

I guess the pickiness of our captive chams is often driven by us not letting them really to become hungry.
Almost all captive chameleons are overfed.
In the wild, despite we think often differently and consider their biotopes full of food to choose, this lerfeption is not fact-based and is false, as they are rather poor in the offer for Most species for Most of the year. So, they eat willingly all what is a ailable...

I suggest you let your Cpp to starve fire a week, better two, and then offer something he/she used to refuse...
This way you will gain a better pictire than on the not-hungry note. And, this will Definitely not harm
The animal by any way... on contrary, it will nenefit from it...

I agree. I wonder, however, whether gutloading with just bee pollen will suffice. I’m never clear about which natural conditions we should be replicating, and which we shouldn’t.

Well, I wrote to the topic of gutloading lots of comments.
What we gutload the insects with (and look at all the recipes and sheets and recommendations - including CF) is plant matter only.
And, knowingly, they can NOT DIGEST IT!
So, what is the logic behind to gutload deliberately with
- something they can nor digest
- something they never find in the guts of wild insects

Can someone elucidate and reach me the answer on that question please?
(And please, I am talking about GUTLOADING EXPLICITLY, not abouT HQ feeding of feeders, this is a completely different story of course)

While the benefits and digestability of bee pollen is without any question.
The fact that it is absolutely natural is also without any question!

It’s such a tough call...on the one hand, we want to replicate the conditions our chams have evolved to survive in; but on the other, we want our chams to live longer than they do in the wild, so replicating the wild conditions might be self-defeating. It’s kind of like brushing our teeth: it’s pretty unnatural, but, as it turns out, it allows us to keep our teeth longer than our life expectancy circa 300bce.

It is again and again...
look, the answer comes from very easy question:

why chameleons die in the wild and why they live longer in captivity and not in the wild as a rule, when we get the idea on how to manage them?

And the answer is SIMPLE AND OBVIOUS

They do not die in the wild mostly because if ageing so young!
They do not die because of natural death!

They die because of Violent death:
1. Being predated
2. Being victims of parasites and diseases
3. Being victims of man made disasters like
Habitat loss, bush fires etc
4. Being victims of too harsh conditions in the unfavorable season (usually the dry season) and this even made stronger by deforestation and global warming - also men-induced

So, with the exception of the last one, none of the factors, the absolute VAST majority of chameleons die because of is natural and internal and concerning inner powers of the organism! All they are external. The last one fits only to those species that lay eggs and can afford to do without breaking the continuity of the evolutionary lineage, as they care for offspring and continuation.

So, THIS IS what makes them die sooner in the wild: predators, parasites, diseases, humans and their influence.

And as it is unethical to expose captive animals deliberately to disease, predators, parasites and harsh conditions causing their death - here we go: they live
Longer!

It is not a miracle
It is No contradiction
The reason is so easy as is explained here.

Back
Top Bottom